• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Well, to be honest, Return Of the King is my least favourite release.
    Maybe I should try the complete version...though I have to say I find the prospect of having to listen to FOUR CDs quite daunting... dizzy

Just listen to one a day! There are no rules stipulating that you have to listen to the entire score front to back in one sitting! But I will tell you that Disc 3 and 4 will knock you on your ass!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    NP : Glory - James Horner + fan made Glory Suite

One of my all time favourite movies and score .
    Horner touches all the right buttons for me on this one .
    Some of the tracks just give me goosebumps .
    Couldn't do without this one ... no sir ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Eric wrote

In the same way I couldn't do without Sergei Prokofiev wink

I like Glory too
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Timmer wrote
    Eric wrote

In the same way I couldn't do without Sergei Prokofiev wink

I like Glory too

Peter & the Wolf ? wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Dove - John Barry

Really good. I wish a proper album were available though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Dove - John Barry

Only on vinyl dear sir, only on vinyl slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Dove - John Barry

I've actually got it on vinyl. No way of playing it any more though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just listen to one a day! There are no rules stipulating that you have to listen to the entire score front to back in one sitting!

I'm always afraid some purist will harm me if I don't. cry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Dove - John Barry

I've actually got it on vinyl. No way of playing it any more though.

I'm glad I kept a turntable, it's a bit of a pain to set up but worthwhile for certain albums I don't have in any format other than vinyl.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Maybe I should try the complete version...though I have to say I find the prospect of having to listen to FOUR CDs quite daunting... dizzy

Just listen to one a day! There are no rules stipulating that you have to listen to the entire score front to back in one sitting! But I will tell you that Disc 3 and 4 will knock you on your ass!

-Erik-

I don't think I ever managed to get to discs 3 and 4!

I have to say, I don't like listening to things in multiple sittings. One of the reasons I like film music is that the best albums give you a complete experience; switching it off mid-stream must surely rob you of that? Now, you can have something like Varese's North and South releases, where each disc is done in a way that makes it a fine listening experience by itself - but I wonder if a single film score spread over four discs could work the same way?
  1. NP: Viking: Battle for Asgard (Richard Beddow)

Some nice stuff in here smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. NP: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - John Williams

I forget how great this score is. It's always tough to pick which Indy to listen to when there are three. I find that this one get's played the least for some reason. Maybe because I've seen the third film the least also. smile
  3. Filmscoregirl wrote
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - John Williams

I forget how great this score is. It's always tough to pick which Indy to listen to when there are three. I find that this one get's played the least for some reason. Maybe because I've seen the third film the least also. smile

is that the box you're listening too? aka the expanded release?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    NP: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - John Williams

is that the box you're listening too? aka the expanded release?

Unfortunately no.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    THE HOME OF DARK BUTTERFLIES | panu aaltio

While the composer's name sounds like it's some sort of instrument with bells, it's a great little score. Not that special in any way, but the theme and the strong dramatic moments, really make this a very worthwhile listen. Very piano and string driven in the tense dramatic tracks, with fast paced and sudden outbreaks of the theme. Really surprising!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE | a.r. rahman and gang

The score tracks are quite enjoyable, especially the very catchy Latka's Theme, which is very poppy, and given a song treatment later on. Most of the songs are rather okay when compared to other Rahman's songs (like Water for example, which were really good), but all in all, its an enjoyable listen. I don't like Paper Planes though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    Anyway, NP: The Man With The Golden Arm - Elmer Bernstein

One of the greates jazz anthems EVER. What a fantastic score.
    This one really cries for a rerecording in stereo, though. The mono sound (and amaizngly poor recording quality) seriously detract from what may very weln be the best jazz score ever written.
    And yes, I'll go to bat on that one!

I agree. This is eventually one of the awesomenessesst scores I've ever heard! Each tim that theme comes in, I breath and live on joy. It's extremely addicting while driving. It makes me smile all the way, and wave to people passing by (since I drive mostly slower that others).

Awesomeness!
    Kazoo
  5. Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

This one really cries for a rerecording in stereo, though. The mono sound (and amaizngly poor recording quality) seriously detract from what may very weln be the best jazz score ever written.

I agree. This is eventually one of the awesomenessesst scores I've ever heard! Each tim that theme comes in, I breath and live on joy. It's extremely addicting while driving. It makes me smile all the way, and wave to people passing by (since I drive mostly slower that others).

Awesomeness!

"It's a bird!"
    "It's a plane"
    "It's Erik Estrada's career!"
    "No, it's ... GRAMMER NAZI!"

(THEME)

Shakes his head, "Bregt, Bregt, Bregt ... you drive even the msot hard-fast of heros to a slapping coniption. Luckily for you I am off to other adventures, or otherwise I'd be pulling double duty for the Spelling Police.

Grammer Nazi ... AWAAAAAYYYYY!!!!!
    Flies off.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    cry :piss-in-pants:
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote
    cry :piss-in-pants:

LOL, I come in here and skip the 300+ unread posts and this is what I get. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Miller's Crossing - Carter Burwell

Really good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

Awesomeness!

"It's a bird!"
    "It's a plane"

(THEME)

Shakes his head, "Bregt, Bregt, Bregt ... you drive even the msot hard-fast of heros to a slapping coniption. Luckily for you I am off to other adventures, or otherwise I'd be pulling double duty for the Spelling Police.

Flies off.

You are either one of the cleverest users of irony America has ever produced, or you're completely out of your mind. I still don't know whether your compositions are just a joke or not; and you criticising other people's spelling is a bit like Pol Pot phoning up his local council and complaining that his next door neighbour should be arrested because he plays music too loud.
  6. Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote

Awesomeness!

"It's a bird!"
    "It's a plane"

(THEME)

Flies off.

You are either one of the cleverest users of irony America has ever produced, or you're completely out of your mind. I still don't know whether your compositions are just a joke or not; and you criticising other people's spelling is a bit like Pol Pot phoning up his local council and complaining that his next door neighbour should be arrested because he plays music too loud.

I think you missed my antics -- and brief explination -- in the Immediate Music thread.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    ... a bit like Pol Pot phoning up his local council and complaining that his next door neighbour should be arrested because he plays music too loud.

Please explain where and how I can sue you for damages for doing my back in due to a hysterical laughing fit. Thank you.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    I think you missed my antics -- and brief explination -- in the Immediate Music thread.

Not familiar with that thread! What is "immediate music" - whenever I play anything, it's immediate. It's not like I put a CD in and then tell it to start playing 25 minutes later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote

Not familiar with that thread! What is "immediate music" - whenever I play anything, it's immediate. It's not like I put a CD in and then tell it to start playing 25 minutes later.

I now your jooking, bud hir's the treat: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ic/#Item_1
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bregt wrote
    Southall wrote
    justin boggan wrote

I now your jooking, bud hir's the treat: http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … ic/#Item_1

Thanks. The thread made me laugh out loud. Not at Justin's joke, but that there are people out there who would choose to sit and listen to trailer music. HAHAHAHAHAHA!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Martijn wrote

-Erik-

I'm sure I haven't lived a life worth living if I didn't give the complete recording of The Return of the King a chance. Especially the ass-remark made me salivate a little more than usual. lick

Bro (thomas), give me your boxset ASAP. There is a Shorefest coming up that will last 4 days, or maybe less.

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Viking: Battle for Asgard (Richard Beddow)

Some nice stuff in here smile

Told you so, but the one thing that is seriously missing is a central theme, any theme to tie it all together, other than that it's big epic choral battle music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009