• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    The Trouble With Angels - Jerry Goldsmith

It's playful and emotional.

And desperately in need of a deluxe, complete and remastered score release!!! lick

This is one of Goldsmith's 60's efforts I'm not big on, it's pleasent enough but I wouldn't personally rush to get it.

Or is there greatness in the film unreleased on album?

( I tried to watch it once )

"is there greatness in the film unreleased on album?" Good question!
    Indeed there is. At least two cues not heard on the album.
    I recall one scene where one of the nuns passes away and it's backed by a truly moving piece of scoring by Goldsmith.
    I remember watching it as a teenager and my dad commented on how beautiful the music was.
    Yes, there are some goofy sixties comedy scoring within the soundtrack but it's evened out by the wonderful quasi-religious/emotional moments that Goldsmith nailed so well.
    Hence a complete score release is needed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmmm...maybe I could take up killing people?

Killing people (in videogames) is your best option. Trust me.

Whoah! shocked

How did that one come full circle on me?

Anyway, NP: The Man With The Golden Arm - Elmer Bernstein

One of the greates jazz anthems EVER. What a fantastic score.
    This one really cries for a rerecording in stereo, though. The mono sound (and amaizngly poor recording quality) seriously detract from what may very weln be the best jazz score ever written.
    And yes, I'll go to bat on that one!

'The best jazz score ever written?' Obviously debateable but it IS a fantastic score and I agree with you 100% on a rerecording. I may well have to give this a spin later!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Obviously debateable

Yeah, it is. shame
    It's just that fookin' unbelievable theme that gets me into this state of overenthusiasm.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Prague version is a fine rendition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Back to The Trouble With Angels, here is the scene with Goldsmith's touching score.
    Unfortunately the beautiful sting moment gets cut off at the end on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBnwkCKS3k
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

Eh? confused
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Obviously debateable

Yeah, it is. shame
    It's just that fookin' unbelievable theme that gets me into this state of overenthusiasm.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact it's while actually listening to something and being euphorically overcome by that greatness that leads to overenthusiasm to an extent where you must shout it out for all board members to hear!

We've all been there ( D more than most wink )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Eh? confused

The Bernstein.

Steven smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    Back to The Trouble With Angels, here is the scene with Goldsmith's touching score.
    Unfortunately the beautiful sting moment gets cut off at the end on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXBnwkCKS3k

That is a lovely bit of scoring! I probably remember too much of the "pop" elements of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    To conclude the epicness:

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (Howard Shore) (regular album)

However much I love it, this is surprisingly my least favourite from the three, Shore nails the brilliance at many times, but overall this score is too dark for me to completely lose myself into.

You sure don't like anything dark do you!

I think that was more of a reaction to the album than the score... at least that how I interpreted it. I love the presentation of the Fellowship and Two Towers original albums but the Return of the King single disc release doesn't do the score justice. If I'm not mistaken Shore purposely left off a lot of the battle material to concentrate more on the dramatic material. A big mistake, IMHO. It's not a very well rounded album. Thank goodness for the complete release. It really showcases how incredible the final score truly is.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Eh? confused

The Bernstein.

Steven smile

I'm getting confused now.
    There IS a re-recording?
    Or is that just the main theme?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Eh? confused

The Bernstein.

Steven smile

There IS a re-recording?

Just the main theme on the "Essential Bernstein Film Music" compilation by Prague. Great album!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Eh? confused

The Bernstein.

Steven smile

There IS a re-recording?

Just the main theme on the "Essential Bernstein Film Music" compilation by Prague. Great album!

I gotta second this recommendation, it's a 2 CD set that contains suites as well as themes including An American Werewolf In London.

Very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Eh? confused

The Bernstein.

Steven smile

There IS a re-recording?

There is also a better version on an album called Jazz In Film performed by the National Youth Orchestra. It's much tighter recording but a little slower in pace.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I have those versions.
    Thanks guys.

And while it's good (nay, essential!) that the main theme should be preserved like this, I was really talking about a rerecording of the score in its entirety.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote
    Grimble Gromble wrote
    The Trouble With Angels - Jerry Goldsmith

It's playful and emotional.

And desperately in need of a deluxe, complete and remastered score release!!! lick

This is one of Goldsmith's 60's efforts I'm not big on, it's pleasent enough but I wouldn't personally rush to get it.

Or is there greatness in the film unreleased on album?

( I tried to watch it once )

Just more variations on the main themes really. The variation played during the wake of one of the sisters is rather touching. The strings almost bring a tear to my eye. I think the movie is pretty good.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Talking of "pop" Goldsmith tempted me to play this old favourite.....

NP : OUR MAN FLINT - Jerry Goldsmith

Exceptionally enjoyable cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Leaving it on to continue into....

NP : IN LIKE FLINT - Jerry Goldsmith

Though these original scores are fun I farrrrrrrrr prefer the re-recordings that Goldsmith did.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

However much I love it, this is surprisingly my least favourite from the three, Shore nails the brilliance at many times, but overall this score is too dark for me to completely lose myself into.

I think that was more of a reaction to the album than the score... at least that how I interpreted it. I love the presentation of the Fellowship and Two Towers original albums but the Return of the King single disc release doesn't do the score justice. If I'm not mistaken Shore purposely left off a lot of the battle material to concentrate more on the dramatic material. A big mistake, IMHO. It's not a very well rounded album. Thank goodness for the complete release. It really showcases how incredible the final score truly is.

-Erik-

I think you're right Erik. Having only heard the first two complete recordings I'm not sure how much is missing from the third one. My brother always said the third had the most missing material, so in a way the regular album is uneven, and therefor slightly disappointing for me. I should really listen to the complete and then give an honest opinion. I was stating my feelings about the shorter album, dark or not, as it didn't give me the same 'HOLY SHIT' feeling as TFOTR and TTT gave. But it's still a nice enough album.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Though these original scores are fun I farrrrrrrrr prefer the re-recordings that Goldsmith did.

Were they ever put out on CD?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    I think you're right Erik. Having only heard the first two complete recordings I'm not sure how much is missing from the third one. My brother always said the third had the most missing material, so in a way the regular album is uneven, and therefor slightly disappointing for me. I should really listen to the complete and then give an honest opinion. I was stating my feelings about the shorter album, dark or not, as it didn't give me the same 'HOLY SHIT' feeling as TFOTR and TTT gave. But it's still a nice enough album.

I'm the other way around! The ROTK "short" album is easily my favourite of the three. I've never been able to get through the complete set (I tried twice and then gave up, and I will never try again - it's just too long) but the "short" album (which is actually very long indeed) I have listened to a lot more often than those from the other two films.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

Were they ever put out on CD?

I don't know? I have CDR's made from my own vinyl albums but remastered releases would be a must for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I'm the other way around! The ROTK "short" album is easily my favourite of the three. I've never been able to get through the complete set (I tried twice and then gave up, and I will never try again - it's just too long) but the "short" album (which is actually very long indeed) I have listened to a lot more often than those from the other two films.

I'm with you James! And I know that it is not a popular view in film music fan circles but I honestly think that the original albums are more than long enough. The LOTR trilogy happens to be one of those scores that I just cannot really come to love... OK, now cast those stones on me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    We could see Justin perform live. smile

Christ, what I wouldn't give...

That'd mean the end of this forum. biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Steven wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I've always been attracted to the light. Darkness is depressing. I'm too much depressive already.

However, dark Goldenthal is entirely up my alley. If darkness is mixed with the melodic like he can, I get ecstatic.

Never been a fan of Shore for that matter... he is the god of dark.

Depends on one's characters and tastes. I am not an emo, obviously ( :P) But God do i prefer dark massive scores and melancholic string driven listens, USUALLY, over fluffy ones. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

dizzy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am like that too. There's very little of those complete releases out there which i actually prefer over the official score releases on album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And me. dizzy

We should start a Thor Fan Club!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Interesting because I prefer the single disc releases of Fellowship and Two Towers but there was so much great music missing from the single disc release of Return of the King that I prefer the complete recordings! Disc 3 and 4 are worth the price of the set alone! Big, epic, brilliant music! The addition of a few of those great battle cues would have really helped the single disc release.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    Well, to be honest, Return Of The King is my least favourite release.
    Maybe I should try the complete version...though I have to say I find the prospect of having to listen to FOUR CDs quite daunting... dizzy