• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011
    Yeah, unchecking that box was also one of the first things I did way back when. It has nothing to do with that, I'm afraid.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. So much for me trying to take Erik's crown after only a few days using iTunes. I'm off to lick my wounds.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011 edited
    Make sure BEFORE you import any album that all the tags are correct. Here's how you do it.

Open up iTunes. When you put a CD into your computer wait for it to load up. Once the CD loads up click on the CD name in iTunes. Yoiu'll then see all the tracks. Select ALL the tracks, right click and select GET INFO. Now you can change all the tag categories (composer, artist, album name, etc.) The artist tag is KEY because that's where iTunes is going to put your music within the iTunes music folder. So if you have your folders set up by composer first name then make sure the artist tag matches your file structure (ie Hans Zimmer.) If you misspell a composers name - Hanns Zimmer for instance - and you don't have a Hanns Zimmer folder then it will create one for you and dump your newly imported sound track into that folder.

Also, make sure you look at the OPTIONS tab - that's where the compilations button is found. If the album is not a compilation make sure you you select NO. If it is then select YES and iTunes will import the album into the compilations folder. If it is a compilation and you select NO yet you have 12 tracks with different artists then iTunes will put each track into their respective artist folders within the iTunes folder. That's a bit messy so that's why the compilations button was created. If the compilations button is selected then the album (with all the tracks) is put into the compilation folder.

Review all of your changes BEFORE importing. Once you are happy with how things are laid out then hit IMPORT.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Thanks for that, Erik. I came across a similar thing with WMP. I think tracks are sorted by artist and I had historically used the composer tag for sorting. So I had to amend all the artist tags for when I used WMP.

At the moment I rip a CD using MediaMonkey and make sure all the information is sorted before I do anything with my tracks. I don't like these programs doing anything automatically (except track titles, which I still recheck).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011 edited
    Ah, thanks, Erik. It may just be the 'artist' tag. I'll be sure to report back if that solves the problem next time I have an album to import.

Incidentally, I don't have any - and don't WANT to have any - general 'compilations' folder (or 'samlealbum', as it is called in Norwegian). I have my own folders for 'various' film music, classical, pop/rock etc. So that function is pretty much useless to me. However, there have been a few cases where I've imported an album that includes 50/50 score and songs, for example. If I want it among my Hans Zimmer collection, I have to label ALL the tracks as being by Hans Zimmer (including the songs which he has nothing to do with). It doesn't seem possible to have ONE, let's say, BLACK RAIN album filed under Zimmer without also labelling the non-Zimmer songs to him (as artist).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011
    yikes is all I can say
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    Where does the stuff go on your harddrive that you purchase from the iTunes store?

I just downloaded the John Williams horn concerto, but it's not in the Williams folder, nor is there any 'compilation' folder. Where is it?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. In Windows XP and 7 when you click Start, there should be a 'My music' link to your Music files. From there you should see an iTunes folder where all the downloads are stored.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011 edited
    Hmmm....no such folder on my start menu (I'm using Vista). There is only ONE folder for all the music, and that is located on the D: drive.

But the Williams is nowhere to be found except inside the iTunes player itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    Nevermind, I found it. It was located in some weird folder pertaining to the performers. Geez.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. In case of not finding what you're looking for, the Search function in Windows is always helpful. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011
    I just tried to add a cover album and edit some info on a couple of albums, but nothing happened.

Are some albums write-protected? If so, how does one disable this?
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Are you trying to change info on iTunes store or on your albums in iTunes?

I tend to sort out my track/album covers using MediaMonkey so that everything is sorted when it is first seen by iTunes.
  6. I only use iTunes for my playlists. Albums are played using MediaMonkey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, it's an album that has been sent to me by mail. I've imported it into iTunes, but when I tried to edit the info and press "OK", nothing happens.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. James may be your best bet for help. Or Erik.

On this occasion I am useless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You need to find where the file is on your hard drive. Right click it and look at the Properties. See if the file is in Read-Only or something like that. I forgot since I'm not on a PC. You need to change that or uncheck it to make it writable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Tag&Rename will probably help!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    You need to find where the file is on your hard drive. Right click it and look at the Properties. See if the file is in Read-Only or something like that. I forgot since I'm not on a PC. You need to change that or uncheck it to make it writable.

-Erik-

That was it, thanks! I just needed to unhook the "write protection" thing on the files themselves.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011
    Trying to copy a couple of mp3 albums via itunes, on ipod 4g, get the message:

"some of the items in "blah blah blah" could not be copied because the files (lists all songs) could not be found"

any ideas? thank you!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I would check the list of songs to see if they are still on your hard drive?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well they are, in the my music folder smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anything to do with weird characters or symbols in the file name or something? Not that i noticed anything like that....
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Were the files moved? Can you play them in iTunes?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap but not on the ipod apparently 'cause they're not mp3s, but m4a (duh to me!) and i am converting through itunes. Silly me, thanks Erik!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011 edited
    M4a should work just fine! Did you try adding the tracks individually?

-Erik-
  8. Have you inadvertently renamed a folder containing the files so that the link is no longer valid? This happened to me the other day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011 edited
    No, tried to add folders, but maybe i did rename like Alan said...but which link renamed invalid exactly? :dummy: i created new folders (from what i remember) and simply unrared into them but still couldn't drop them onto the ipod...anyway, i converted everything from within itunes into aac and dropped them in no problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Seriously, why re-encode lossy files?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't know much about itunes my friend, this way it accepted them into the ipod i don't know what was wrong with them previously smile