• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009
    Thor wrote
    And while we were in such a groove, I could just as well ask another thing I've wondered about:

I have a few categories for "rarities" and "odd'n'ends" etc., especially regarding Williams and Elfman. However, I have problems getting the right succession of tracks here. For example, the RARE BREED suite by Williams. For some reason, its five tracks are scattered about and have lots of other tracks inbetween. How do I "edit" these tracks to play in my preferred order? You obviously cannot drag tracks up and down.

Can you show us a screen grab of what you mean?

This RARE BREED suite... are the tracks from the Silva recording? Do you have the entire album or just these tracks? If it's just the 5 tracks and not the entire album then just make sure their track numbers are in order and that the DISC NUMBER is 1 of 1. Does that make sense?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Here, I've made a screen grab:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/ipod2.jpg

I've marked the stuff in red that I have problems with. You'll see RARE BREED, PETE'N'TILLIE and YES GIORGIO, for example, scattered about, with tracks from other things that SEPARATE them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I see. So Rarities is one big "album." You are going to have to change the track numbers to get them in the correct order... that's all. It's a pain in the ass but it will fix your problem.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I see. So Rarities is one big "album." You are going to have to change the track numbers to get them in the correct order... that's all. It's a pain in the ass but it will fix your problem.

-Erik-

OK. As in inserting "01...", "02..." etc. in front of the track names?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

OK. As in inserting "01...", "02..." etc. in front of the track names?

No... right click the track in iTunes, select GET INFO, select the INFO tab, then you will see on the right side TRACK NUMBER. Insert the track number you want.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2009 edited
    Great, thanks again. I assume this will also fix the problem I've had regarding which track it starts on. Because sometimes, the album in "grid mode" starts at a different place than the album in "list mode" (usually in the "middle of the album" as viewed in list mode).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Great, thanks again. I assume this will also fix the problem I've had regarding which track it starts on. Because sometimes, the album in "grid mode" starts at a different place than the album in "list mode" (usually in the "middle of the album" as viewed in list mode).

Yup...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Take a look - the new and tidy John Williams' Rarities "album":

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/ipod3.jpg

smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2009
    Thor wrote
    Take a look - the new and tidy John Williams' Rarities "album":

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/ipod3.jpg

smile

punk

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Maybe you should rename the thread and add "itunes problems" somewhere in there too?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Christodoulides wrote
    Maybe you should rename the thread and add "itunes problems" somewhere in there too?

Done.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009
    Thor wrote
    How do you go about changing the art work? For multiple items, like an entire album, first copy your art work by right clicking the image or the file itself and selecting copy. That copies it to your clipboard. Then select the tracks you want. Then right click one of the highlights tracks and slect GET INFO. In the box where it says ART WORK, right click anywhere in the box and select paste. Then click OK. You now have updated art work.

Yes, that's what I've always done. However, for some reason, sometimes the pic won't change. For example, I wanted to replace my SUPERMAN IV cover from the "FSM box" blue cover to a fanmade cover especially for that film. But when I try to paste it in, nothing happens. The "blue cover" remains.

I might have figured this out for you. If you have more than one cover associated with a certain track or album you can toggle between the different art work. Look at the bottom left hand corner where the art work is displayed. If the track or album has more than one piece of artwork dedicated to it you will see two arrows (or small triangles) just above the art work. You have to be in SELECTED ITEM mode to switch between art work. Just use the arrows to toggle between the art.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    How do you go about changing the art work? For multiple items, like an entire album, first copy your art work by right clicking the image or the file itself and selecting copy. That copies it to your clipboard. Then select the tracks you want. Then right click one of the highlights tracks and slect GET INFO. In the box where it says ART WORK, right click anywhere in the box and select paste. Then click OK. You now have updated art work.

Yes, that's what I've always done. However, for some reason, sometimes the pic won't change. For example, I wanted to replace my SUPERMAN IV cover from the "FSM box" blue cover to a fanmade cover especially for that film. But when I try to paste it in, nothing happens. The "blue cover" remains.

I might have figured this out for you. If you have more than one cover associated with a certain track or album you can toggle between the different art work. Look at the bottom left hand corner where the art work is displayed. If the track or album has more than one piece of artwork dedicated to it you will see two arrows (or small triangles) just above the art work. You have to be in SELECTED ITEM mode to switch between art work. Just use the arrows to toggle between the art.

-Erik-

Thanks, but I'm afraid I don't have any artwork in the bottom left hand corner. As you know, I use the "album grid" mode, alternatively, the list.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Thanks, but I'm afraid I don't have any artwork in the bottom left hand corner. As you know, I use the "album grid" mode, alternatively, the list.

Well, I suggest turning on the left hand corner art work display just so you can fix these issues then turn it off. You can do this in GRID display!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Well, I suggest turning on the left hand corner art work display just so you can fix these issues then turn it off. You can do this in GRID display!

-Erik-

Ah, gotcha! For some reason, the "blue box" SUPERMAN cover disappeared when I put "John Williams" in the "album artist" field, but it's nice to know this if and when the problem arises again. And it looks kinda neat with the "Now Playing" artwork in the lower left corner, so I'll keep it. smile

However, I've found that when I buy tracks from iTunes, they aren't so easily edited, whether it has to do with pictures, renaming or putting them in at a place I would like.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    However, I've found that when I buy tracks from iTunes, they aren't so easily edited, whether it has to do with pictures, renaming or putting them in at a place I would like.

Example?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Example?

-Erik-

I'll explain tomorrow. Too tired now.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009 edited
    Nevermind that now. A far more serious thing happened when I turned on iTunes today. The library file was corrupted?!? When I finally got into the iTunes program after some long loading, only 368 albums came up. The rest - some 600 albums - were gone! Thankfully, the folders are still on the harddrive, so I can import them again, but all the work I've spent "tidying up" the files over this last week, is gone. angry
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009 edited
    I've imported the entire "iTunes Music" folder back, but for some reason only 880 albums show up, which means that some 40 albums are still missing. Strange. It will be a nightmare finding out what they are.

Does anyone know what causes these things? Could it be a virus? Has it ever happened to anyone else?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009
    I know your problem in the first place. Seriously, just read the topic's title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2009
    Where is the artwork stored (that I've downloaded)? I went to the folder called "album artwork" under the iTunes folder, but there were no jpgs there. Just a bunch of "empty" sub-folders. They are not in the artist/album folders either. Where is it hiding?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Where is the artwork stored (that I've downloaded)? I went to the folder called "album artwork" under the iTunes folder, but there were no jpgs there. Just a bunch of "empty" sub-folders. They are not in the artist/album folders either. Where is it hiding?

The art work is embedded into the actual music file itself.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

The art work is embedded into the actual music file itself.

-Erik-

Ah, I see. Oh well, thanks for the confirmation. I'll go looking for new jpgs on the net now. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I’ve just changed from my dilapidated old PC laptop which didn’t have enough battery power to turn itself on without being plugged in and took about a year to do anything to a lovely new 15” macbook pro which switches itself of and on in about 3 seconds.

I’ve run into some problems moving my iTunes library and I’d appreciate any help you guys can give. I’ve been following advice from the Apple site (and a few others) on how to do it. Thankfully all my music was on an external hard drive so I just plugged it into the macbook added the files to iTunes and thought I was sorted. Unfortunately my iPod was showing 12800 songs while my iTunes showed only 12500. I decided to repeat the process and now there were only 12300!

Anyone know what’s gone wrong?

Any way to find out which songs have gone AWOL without going through each and every song?

Input from technical gurus/geniuses most appreciated!!!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2010 edited
    It sounds like you may have had the "manually manage music" setting checked on your old PC, so songs you may have removed from the computer will have remained on the ipod. If you have synced your iPod with the Mac and the number of files on it has decreased then unfortunately these tracks are lost.

However, there's a good chance if they were deleted you deleted them for a reason so I wouldn't worry too much about these.

Regarding the the second part of your figures I suggest checking the number of music files stored on your hard drive. iTunes may have been counting duplicates or deleted tracks in the 12500 figure, where there may actually only be 12300 real files on your hard drive.

The best thing I reccommend is checking nothing major is missing from your music folder, clearing iTunes and your iPod, and importing the library fresh.
  2. Hi Anthony, thanks for your advice, most appreciated.

I hadn't deleted anything and I knew all the music had been in the itunes folder. Thankfully I hadn't synced my ipod as I didn't want to lose anything. So I just went through the list of artists on my ipod making sure the number of tracks for each matched Itunes and investigated if necessary. Any missing artists or albums I made a list of. This actually didn't take too long, a couple of hours with a big pot of coffee and some cds playing in the background! Strangely the 500 missing tracks were all tagged as Classical genre (And even more bizarre roughly 200 Classical tracks had survived). Only complete albums were affected thankfully and now that I have a list I can just rerip them gradually as I get a chance to.

So now I've resynched the ipod and added all the score albums I've picked up in the last few months, great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2011
    One frustrating thing I've been meaning to ask for a while (and Alan's own iPod thread reminded me of it):

When I import a new album, I have no control over where it is put or what it calls itself ON MY HARDDRIVE, even though I can obviously edit the info that is displayed in iTunes itself.

This is annoying, because I first have to import it, then check where it has put it itself (sometimes, it makes a "compilations" folder and is located within, sometimes it creates a composer folder, but spells the name wrong). So I have to import it, check where it is in the main iTunes Music folder, then move it to the correct sub-folder, then delete it from the iTunes playlist, then import it from the right folder again.

Extremely cumbersome. Is there really no way around this?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. In iTunes, if you go to Edit > Preferences and choose the Advanced tab there's a checkbox for "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organised". I think that this chooses to place files where iTunes wants. One of the first things I did was uncheck this box.

I'm not sure if this addresses your own issue. Check to see if this box is checked. If so, uncheck and try again?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn