• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009
    Martijn wrote
    As many people regretted the advent of the ballpoint over the fountain pen. The phone over the written letter.
    People ALWAYS feel left behind in the wake of technology.

When I did my big travel years ago letter writing was a joyous essential with the excitement of going to a post restante to get news from friends and family, there were periods of up to 3 months at times with no communication at all. Nowadays you needent be alone anywhere on Earth with the press of a button. A sad loss in some ways but a godsend in others.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    I think this is a little different than a ballpoint pen or telephone. You've got a huge population facing retirement without the communication of the computer which is becoming necessary as a part of life.

It's not different at all: people retiring in the forties of the last century would have felt much the same about the telephone. The fact that we can't imagine anyone not used to using a phone doesn't mean that it was a cinch: there's some great stories by Will Eisner about growing up in the Bronx in the thirties/forties where MANY immigrants had NO idea what to make of a phone (shouting loudly into the receiver, otherwise "how could someone miles away hear them?").

The same with the advent of modern transport: visiting someone on another continent is a regular possibility, rather than a dream, or magic.

People are always caught up by a technology gap.
    It's up to those with their feet planted firmly in the present rather than the past to make sure they don't fall behind!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    A sad loss in some ways but a godsend in others.

Why a loss?
    You still don't need to be approachable anywhere and everywhere?
    That many people nowadays stress out because they feel they are incomplete without their three cell phones swiched on 24/7 is more a state of mind than a given.

I have a cell phone.
    It is OFF most of the time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    A sad loss in some ways but a godsend in others.

Why a loss?
    You still don't need to be approachable anywhere and everywhere?
    That many people nowadays stress out because they feel they are incomplete without their three cell phones swiched on 24/7 is more a state of mind than a given.

I have a cell phone.
    It is OFF most of the time.

True, though people tend to insist that you be approachable anywhere and everywhere. Still, you speak the truth.

Land lines are a pain if you want to be left alone too, if I leave the phone off the hook I can almost guarantee someone will then call around in person because they couldn't contact me. rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    People can be taught to learn to use a phone in a very short amount of time. Not true with a computer.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    And there's no way to do that better than to adhere to an accepted common set of rules.

You're leaning against an open door with that one. I hate being made to feel such an old fart when I make a similar point and am told that language evolves by itself; that saying "different than..." rather than "different from..." is correct because more people do it than actually use the correct construction. I know the basis for the argument - language evolves thanks to the way that people choose to use it; and what may have been "wrong" once can become "right" so long as enough people do it. I hate that argument.

At work, I sometimes write marketing communications and the like; the other day something I wrote was rejected by our marketing team because I'd used semi-colons. They said "AXA brand guidelines indicate that semi-colons should not be used. Our customers do not understand them." Well, get some better customers then, that's what I say. I have also had things rejected because my sentences are too long. Eight words is recommended; twelve the absolute limit. Huh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    interesting James
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010
    It's a shame really because the English language is really a beautiful language. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't know how to use there, their and they're; you are a moron. Or the difference between its and it's. Or the difference between you're and your.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I no exactly where your coming from. Its annoying when people, with all they're little idiosyncrasies and quirks, can't even manage to understand the difference between simple grammar and spelling rules. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2010 edited
    Just a bit of words from my POV....

I'm very weary about the subject of English grammar. Being an immigrant coming over to the US at only 10years old, I feel that I missed out on what most native American takes for granted, the ingrained-since-birth exposure to conventional English speech. Granted I didn't go out of my way to take classes to learn all the intricacies of English grammar, trial and error practices have been the key to my impromptu education. However, I've been very unfortunate in my ability to understand, and know, the correct spelling and pronunciation of words that fails most Americans.

So HAH! punk shocked biggrin

I'm still teh suxor at pluralization though. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    KevinSmith wrote
    It's a shame really because the English language is really a beautiful language. As far as I'm concerned, if you don't know how to use there, their and they're; you are a moron. Or the difference between its and it's. Or the difference between you're and your.

innit bro :fist-touch: ya get me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    WUT DIS TING iz URE TALKIN HER, PROPR USE of ENGLISH AN.....GRAMMAR?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I centrufally concordonate.
    The current insternation towards fallid lingual verbage is at the very misculum a deep and oputrant quarandry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How many dictionaries did you lay around you for that?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    He just unzipped his trousers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hahahahah!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote

yeah wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote
    And there's no way to do that better than to adhere to an accepted common set of rules.

You're leaning against an open door with that one. I hate being made to feel such an old fart when I make a similar point and am told that language evolves by itself; that saying "different than..." rather than "different from..." is correct because more people do it than actually use the correct construction. I know the basis for the argument - language evolves thanks to the way that people choose to use it; and what may have been "wrong" once can become "right" so long as enough people do it. I hate that argument.

At work, I sometimes write marketing communications and the like; the other day something I wrote was rejected by our marketing team because I'd used semi-colons. They said "AXA brand guidelines indicate that semi-colons should not be used. Our customers do not understand them." Well, get some better customers then, that's what I say. I have also had things rejected because my sentences are too long. Eight words is recommended; twelve the absolute limit. Huh?

What I hear is the world revolves around you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

People's intelligence is obviously reducing with every new generation. You have to adapt old man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Well said mate. We use to write with an inkwell, quill pen, and paper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited
    naaa dey be writin in da mothafuckin facebuk al tha time en got no worries mate, dis grammer thingy is so stoupid foo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Well said mate. We use to write with an inkwell, quill pen, and paper.

Yeah, but I bet it took you a while to get used to that having used stone and chisel for so long?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    naaa dey be writin in da mothafuckin facebuk al tha time en got no worries mate, dis grammer thingy is so stoupid foo.

Actually, I think that, generally speaking, social networks and chat programs are grammar's worst enemies (at least for teenagers). I've seen grammar / spelling mistakes in spanish message boards/facebook/etc that are pain inducing.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. sdtom wrote
    Southall wrote
    Martijn wrote

What I hear is the world revolves around you

The usability of a phrase is often the reason to make a formerly bad phrase correct. It's called usus. I don't know about the English correctness rules, but in Poland we accepted that there is the usable norm and the formal norm. In everyday language a phrase like "different than" would be perfectly seen as correct, but as incorrect in, say, a parliament speech, press conference and things like that. There is a duality of norms, one used for formal situations, one of informal and this is what people probably mean by "language is (d)evolving". Simplification of language is regarded as one of the main processes. Polish language, in course of historical development, lost about 2-3 tenses, because of the simplification, also lost some language things due to preference of dual divisions to other types (consonants and vowels to consonants, half-vowels and vowels, and so on).

All these processes are very interesting.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I need to re-read that 100 times and perhaps i might understand your points smile
  2. Sorry, I wrote it from my education's standpoint shame
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sorry, I wrote it from my education's standpoint shame

Different world