• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009
    Interesting blog I found (not by me):

What saddens me more, if saddens is the correct word to use in this context (it is for me; I don't know about others), is the loss of vocabulary.

Without the adequate vernacular, abstract ideas and concepts cannot be given voice, and that abstractness is what humans are. It is the non-linear and the intangible aspects of ourselves, not the empirical nature of our biological bodies, that make us sentient. When the ability to be precise is lost, when that precision is never taught... A person's deepest thoughts cannot be consciously recognized. Those thoughts will still be there, but they can never emerge into the person's cognitive processes; as a result of that, an absolutely vital piece of what makes anyone intelligent is completely lost.... I've seen too many kids in my generation struggle horribly to put even simple abstract thoughts into words, because they just don't know the language to do so, and all they know is a vague feeling of sorts; they can't analyze anything... It makes me sad. The problem is particularly pronounced in the inner city. IMO the biggest reason that those kids seem to be locked into that life is that they are only ever taught language that relates to the here-and-now; it locks them into only considering the temporal things that they see before them in their current lives. Without the ability to form broader ideals and to place things into context, breaking free of any sort of what most of us would consider a non-desirable lifestyle is simply impossible... and that ability cannot be had if the adequate vocabulary needed to develop it is never taught.

Of course, the breakdown of grammar and spelling is related to that. Everything correlates to everything else... The essential disregard within our culture as a whole for language is disheartening at best and catastrophic at worst. It will lead to the eventual collapse of... everything... Britain's a bit ahead of us in that regard. What they are now is what we will be in five or ten years. (Our democracy is about to end as well, IMO, due to the historical cycle; democracies last only as long as people fail to realize that they can vote in ways that would benefit them personally, rather than the country as a whole; that realization has finally sunk its claws deep into the American mind.... once that realization hits, democracies always fail, historically speaking, and eventually become totalitarian in a way... Well, they move from democracy to oligarchy, essentially, if one thinks of the government as an oligarchy, and from there to totalitarianism... it's only a matter of time before America moves further down that path; we're already halfway to an oligarchy. I always wonder if people realize what's happening, or what they're doing when they vote for certain measures and certain people... Anyway. HUUUUGE digression right there.)

It just kills me, though, that kids aren't taught vocabulary... It is absolutely essential if they are to move beyond where they are in life. I do not understand how the world at large misses that. Far too many children are never even given a chance... everybody deserves the opportunity to improve his lot in life... and we never give that opportunity to most of the population.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2009 edited
    Can we somehow redirect this discussion to my discussion, or mine to this? confused
  1. People can make mistakes, and I certainly can look the other way if someone doesn't cap' their "I"'s or maybe say "to" when they meant "too", but when I see stuff like this (an example):

i realy like zimmers score to pirates of the caribean its so great !!!1!!!!

I just want to barf. Words and proper grammar can help express depper emotions and thought and help communicate more properly what we really mean to say, but this generation, as with hte last, doesn't seem to have anything worth a shit to say, in fact, often times when I hear a kid speak and say words I don't get the feeling anymore that they know what (or at least generally) the words they are saying mean but rather are like parrots just spitting out phrases and words they hear on TV and in games thinking it "sound right" in reply. And to say nothing of contant misuse of the question mark (which I see here too often).

Heck, one composer's site has capitalized words like "the" and "and" in names of scoring work, which -- unless they are the starting word -- are not supposed to be capitalized. And just a few minutes ago I got off an agency site which, appearently, doesn't know when making a list of items -- in this case scoring projects -- that when you list items themselves that have commas in then, you seperate the items with semi colons instead.

I feel the need for the return of the ... GRAMMER NAZI!!!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2009
    justin boggan wrote

YES! cheesy punk
  2. Justin, but you often misspell stuff if you're such a purist, why?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Your setence is quite hard on the brain, please fix it and re-read my above post since you don't seem to have.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    justin boggan wrote
    ... setence...

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    People can make mistakes, and I certainly can look the other way if someone doesn't cap' their "I"'s or maybe say "to" when they meant "too", but when I see stuff like this (an example):

i realy like zimmers score to pirates of the caribean its so great !!!1!!!!

I just want to barf. Words and proper grammar can help express depper emotions and thought and help communicate more properly what we really mean to say, but this generation, as with hte last, doesn't seem to have anything worth a shit to say, in fact, often times when I hear a kid speak and say words I don't get the feeling anymore that they know what (or at least generally) the words they are saying mean but rather are like parrots just spitting out phrases and words they hear on TV and in games thinking it "sound right" in reply. And to say nothing of contant misuse of the question mark (which I see here too often).

Heck, one composer's site has capitalized words like "the" and "and" in names of scoring work, which -- unless they are the starting word -- are not supposed to be capitalized. And just a few minutes ago I got off an agency site which, appearently, doesn't know when making a list of items -- in this case scoring projects -- that when you list items themselves that have commas in then, you seperate the items with semi colons instead.

The irony of this post featuring more spelling errors and poorer grammar than most posts at this messageboard by non-English speakers is so great, it's hard not to smile.
  4. Exactly, that's what I'm talking about. The guy speaking most about correct grammar AND spelling is the guy who needs to learn from...

Himself? bunny
  5. Did either of you even bother to read my post?
  6. Does it matter. You go on about bad grammar and spelling and talk about depper meaning?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    olololo!!!111!!one!!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dats sick! Big up y'all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. I ges!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    Did either of you even bother to read my post?

Yes; and those 75 seconds are ones I'll never be able to claim back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Just imagine how I feel about some of this! And this comes from a man who has lost half of his brain from the stroke.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  8. About some of what? Your grammar and spelling are perfect!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Far from it Pawel but thanks for the compliment
  9. Hey, everybody makes a mistake once in a while, but compared to Justin you're perfect. I don't have problems guessing what you're trying to say in your posts.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Justin is perfect like Zimmer is.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    KevinSmith wrote
    Justin is perfect like Zimmer is.

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2009 edited
    What's wrong with today's grammar?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. The first one is in Polish. It's a security company lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009
    With the age of the internet our communication skills have reached a new low at least in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    With the age of the internet the WHOLE WORLD now speaks a modicum of English.
    Global communication has never been more pervasive.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    But we are creating a new language that is not as well understood by generations that grew up with proper grammar. You can take basic rules and just throw them away because few pay any attention anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009 edited
    Hasn't that been the case throughout history? smile

Those "created languages" (like text messaging, messenger talk, LOLCat babytalk and the like) will be as dead as the dodo in ten years.

I would agree though that as one language becomes so pronounced in world communication, more rigid forms of control will have to become necessary: a hope and a prayer that "the other party will know what we're talking about" simply won't cut it any more.

Case in point: most Dutch people consider their command of English as excellent.
    It's not. A major crisis with a customer in my line of work has just been averted as the program manager kept talking about "eventual results".
    He was not aware that the dutch word "eventueel" actually doesn't translate as "eventual", but as "possible", and that "eventual" implies a defined and measurable end result.
    Therefore the customer's expectation, and the contract underlining those, were signifficantly different from what the intentions were.

It's just a small example, and in fact little to do with hollowing out the grammar and logic of any particular language, but it does hammer home the deep need for common frames of reference if misunderstandings and serious repercussions are to be avoided.
    And there's no way to do that better than to adhere to an accepted common set of rules.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You have people in my generation that have little concept or understanding of computer technology. The language is just one of the reasons. Unless this government feels that they'll be able to keep the baby boomer working into his 80's the computer as a tool will be a challenge and many will avoid it. I have many friends who only use it for a function in their life that requires them to do so. A friend two houses down from me only uses his computer to book airline tickets, nothing more. Yet he is a statistic as owning a computer when in fact he really isn't. I think you get my point. My teacher friend only uses the computer for certain school district information that you can't get by telephone. Again her owning a computer really shouldn't count in the stats. The list can go on and on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    As many people regretted the advent of the ballpoint over the fountain pen. The phone over the written letter.
    People ALWAYS feel left behind in the wake of technology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think this is a little different than a ballpoint pen or telephone. You've got a huge population facing retirement without the communication of the computer which is becoming necessary as a part of life.