• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2009 edited
    (I posted this at Hans-Zimmer.com as well, but things are pretty dead around there. This is where the action is, apparently. wink)

I have compiled a list of many of the best free and legal downloadable tracks on the net. This is the special edition Remote Control Productions (a.k.a. MediaVentures) version for fans of Hans Zimmer & Co.

Below are tracks from current RC composers, RC-related composers, and some talented sound-alike artists who write in the MediaVentures style.

-Click on a composer's name to go their site's downloads.
    -The tracks listed here are not the only ones available, but they are highly recommended and a good sample of the composer's best work.
    -----

Free MV Soundtracks: The List

RC-Composers
    -Listed in order of awesomeness

The above are some of the best soundtracks ever to come out of RC Productions. That stands to reason, as Mancina is one of the best composers ever to come out of RC. It’s great to have some free tracks from the best!

Dooley is an excellent MV composer. His pieces always have a good building theme and his SOCOM scores have the best power anthems since Crimson Tide and The Rock. It’s a crime that the albums haven’t been released, but at least the best themes are up for download

Great full medleys with the major highlights some great scores! Metzger has orchestrated and composed additional music for many of Mancina’s projects, so the downloads on his site are basically an extension of Maninca’s tracks above. His site has the above soundtrack medleys as well as Flyboys, Camille and the Lion King Musical

Some of the best action tracks from any MV composers in a long time. When Stuart get his own major solo project he'll hit it big. He often does additional music and orchestrations for James Newton Howard and Brian Tyler, so some tracks from their works are up on Tyler’s site as well.
    -Note: For each track, select the track that you want to download in the flash media player, then right click and choose "Download this song" to save it

Pete Haycock
    -Thelma and Louise – “Thunderbird (Part 2)
    -K2 – “K2 (Part 2)
    -Drop Zone – “Dropzone (Part 1)
    Pete Haycock is an occasional guitarist for RC Productions. He has a few clips from Zimmer’s scores to Drop Zone, Thelma and Louise, and K2

Kaz Boyle (Kasimir Boyle)
    -USC – “Dziadziu”, “Montana
    -"La Planete Rouge" (a.k.a. Mars)
    -Hard Lesson – "The Free Seventh", "Victory"
    -“Kung Funk
    -The Artificial Feast – "Charlie's New Day", "The Artificial Feast"
    -Long Island Heist"
    -"Peace and Quiet"
    -"Parking Meters"

Most of the tracks on Burnett's site right now are suspense/horror scores, but he also has music from a few of Han-Zimmer.com's best-voted soundtracks, Men on Fire and Spy Game. Very high production qualities. Burnett likes to sneak a heavy metal bass into a lot of his tracks
    -Note: Burnett's site appears to be in development and many sections are blank and unfinished. Hopefully his SOCOM music will eventually be added to the site

Wolfram De Marco
    -Welcome to September: "Drew", "Title"
    -Damals Warst De Still – "Beginning ", "Conclusion", "Lisa", "It Starts"
    -The Wedding Party: "Main Title", "The End", "The Attack"
    -"Vibe of the 70s/Fortune Teller"
    -"Montage" – A Year and a Day
    Wolfram has a plain website any has scored a bunch of tiny German films you’ve never heard of, but it's all very professional MV music. Many downloads are suspense or ambient tracks that don't tend to develop many sophisticated themes, but the production quality is very good. Perhaps a bit like some of Gregson-Williams' more atmospheric works. Also a few great action tracks.

Michael L. Levine
    -“Scrat End Theme” – Gone Nutty: Scrat’s Missing Adventure (Ice Age short)
    -“The Killing” – Veronica Guerin
    -“Adrift (Main Title)” – Adrift in Manhattan
    -“I Can Hear” – Guisepp's War

All of Kevin’s tracks are short excerpts except the 3 tracks listed above, which are all over a minute

Only 3 tracks available to download since Cassidy redid his site, but one is from Zimmer's Hannibal
    -Note: For each track, select the track that you want to download in the flash media player, then right click and choose "Download this song" to save it

Shirley Walker
    -Final Destination 2 – “Eugene’s Oxygen”, “New Life
    When Shirley Walker worked with Zimmer she was generally the orchestrator or conductor, so her compositional style usually isn’t necessarily very MV-influenced (ex. Willard). However, Final Destination does sound like an RC Production.
    -Note: All tracks on Walker’s site are streaming audio except the tracks from Final Destination 2 and Willard

Extra RC Soundtracks

The Power of One (Dead server) (Hans Zimmer)
    *Full album - 6 score tracks*
    Note: Lebo M’s server is down, but the soundtrack is backed up at Archive.org

The Contender (Hans Zimmer)
    -"Main Theme"
    The original soundtrack's main theme. An amazing, epic track. The Contender is arguably Zimmer's best unreleased score (Track from Hans-Zimmer.com)

Extra: The Contender - Remixes
    "The Contender (Acoustic cover)" (Nicolas)
    -The main theme, acoustic guitar style. An excellent track
    "Contender Medley (Remix and cover)" (Arthen)
    -A synth remix of many of The Contender's themes. Some really great parts
    "The Contender (Orchestral cover)" (Antas)
    -A synth recreation of the main themes. Noticeably synthier than Zimmer's version, but captures the spirit of the original nicely

Iron Man – "Fireman" (Ramin Djawadi/Hans Zimmer/Lorne Balfe)
    Not much of a creative melody to stick in your head, perhaps, but this is pure MV action! (A complete track from Hans-Zimmer.com)

Slow Burn – "Opening" (Jeff Rona)

Jumper (Video Game) (Chris Tilton)
    *Full album - 14 tracks*
    Technically not written by an RC composer, but it at least seems a bit inspired by John Powell's score to the companion movie. Some even argue that the game's score is superior to Powell's. It does have more melodic themes and some excellent action music
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Still too expensive for me, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2009
    Southall wrote

lol

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Well, you could try asking them to pay you for each track you download. I mean, they do that all the time, right? wink

And is there any way to get stuff to indent in this forum? Using the BBCode list feature to cheat an indent out of the system obviously isn't working, as there isn't really a list feature here. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No indents unfortunately, Feliz (I think? Bregt?)

But many thanks for all your hard work! Much appreciated!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Sure thing!

And the quote feature works better actually, so no big loss there. Nothing like putting every feature to its unintended use. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote

Confused confused
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Southall wrote

Confused confused

Irony Tom wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Oh wait I get it!!! He wants to be paid for the time it takes for his computer to download the material. Should the composers all chip in and get him an extra hard drive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Oh wait I get it!!! He wants to be paid for the time it takes for his computer to download the material. Should the composers all chip in and get him an extra hard drive?

NOW you're talking. Though for several hours of music by obscure Media Ventures composers I would expect more than an extra hard drive. A yacht, perhaps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "download"?? "free"???? "mp3"???? "the"????

iiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuuuuu
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bah, get Tilton away from these clowns! His ranks are so much higher! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Is this legal????
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, according to Feliz it is:

Feliz wrote
    I have compiled a list of many of the best free and legal downloadable tracks on the net. This is the special edition Remote Control Productions (a.k.a. MediaVentures) version for fans of Hans Zimmer & Co.

Of couirse I have no way to verify the veracity of that claim wink , but it seems like these are simply the promo clips that are indeed freely available from the composers' own websites.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Feliz wrote
    (I posted this at Hans-Zimmer.com as well, but things are pretty dead around there. This is where the action is, apparently. wink)

I was about to say "hey good job" or something at HZ forum (under the name of Pridelander) But now I post here.

Hey good job! wink I'm especially happy that I finally found this:

Michael L. Levine
    -“Scrat End Theme” – Gone Nutty: Scrat’s Missing Adventure (Ice Age short)

I thought there were only the streaming link on his site. Thanks so much! :nut: biggrin

Also nice to find the new Disney logo video at Metzger's site.

... But if I were you I'd add August Rush tracks from Mancina site. Low sound quality but full tracks.

And you totally forgot Heitor Pereira!
    http://www.heitorpereira.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/heitorpereira

His music doesn't sound like MV/RC-style? But he's definitely an RC guy so whatever he writes is an RC score. Isn't it? tongue wink
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This banter between James and I has nothing to do with the effort you made Felix. We're merely having fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Feliz wrote
    And is there any way to get stuff to indent in this forum? Using the BBCode list feature to cheat an indent out of the system obviously isn't working, as there isn't really a list feature here. rolleyes

We support the use of smileys above other markup. Using smileys in a creative way, decreases the importance of using things like indents, numbering, ...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    cheesy
  1. Bregt wrote
    Feliz wrote

We support the use of smileys above other markup. Using smileys in a creative way, decreases the importance of using things like indents, numbering, ...

Indeed. I've never seen a board as emoticon-happy as this one.... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote

dizzy tongue cheesy

sdtom wrote
    This banter between James and I has nothing to do with the effort you made Felix. We're merely having fun.
    Whew. Glad to know I had no part in your fun-having. I'm just not sure I could handle that sort of responsibility. biggrin

Martijn wrote
    Well, according to Feliz it is [legal].

Of course I have no way to verify the veracity of that claim wink , but it seems like these are simply the promo clips that are indeed freely available from the composers' own websites.
    Yep! smile All tracks on this list are from official sites: official composer's sites, official arranger/orchestrator's sites, official composition company sites, official video game sites, offical game developer sites, and soundtrack review and/or fan sites that have been granted permission to put tracks up for download (Ex. Music4Games). A few tracks are also from eMusic.com or CNET's Download.com, both respectable, legal download sites. I believe that sites like Archive.org that backup free, legal downloads are considered legal as well. (And Hans-Zimmer.com does have permission for that Contender theme and Iron Man track, riiight?)

Miya wrote
    I'd add August Rush tracks from Mancina site. Low sound quality but full tracks.

And you totally forgot Heitor Pereira!
    I generally just listed a few of the best tracks for most composers, not every full free track... but on second thought August Rush is one of his best works, isn't it. Added. wink

As far as I know, Pereira's tracks aren't intended to be downloaded for free. You can supposedly download his tracks with QuickTime Pro since he uses the QuickTime player, but QT Pro isn't free either, so Pereira got disqualified. slant Someone should tell him to change his site to direct downloads.

-Feliz
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009 edited
    Here's a tiny addition. I tried to edit this continuation into my first post, but my post got so long that it was actually making the topic glitch up like crazy and until I was beginning to fear I'd broken the forum or something. So I guess it'll just go here. wink Unless someone could magically insert it after the first post or something? shocked

-----

RC-Style Composers
    -They don't actually work at RC, but they sure sound like them. (A few of these composers occasionally even co-compose things with an RC member)
    -Composers are listed in order of RC-ishness and awesomeness of music

Jason Graves
    -Silent Hunter 4
    – “Main Theme” – (Crimson Tide/Pirates 3: Love Theme/Thin Red Line)
    – “Rising Sun” – (Thin Red Line)
    – “Decoded Japanese Transmissions” – (Gladiator/Peacemaker)
    – “Deep Waters” – (Pirates 2: “Hello Beastie”)
    – “The Coral Sea ” – (Thin Red Line/Pirates 3: Love Theme)
    –Bonus Review
    Bottom line: This is the good ol’ MV music that you’ve been waiting for ages for Zimmer to write again. Overall, the album sounds like a perfect cross of The Thin Red Line and Crimson Tide... with a bit of the PotC: At World’s End love theme thrown in. A collage of different MV styles is present in each individual track, however. A track-by-track dissection of those influences is listed above next to each track

-King Arthur (Video Game) - "Main Theme", "Saxons Approach", "Trailer"
    -Marvel VS - "Main Theme", "The X-Jet"
    -Flushed Away (Video Game)
    -Rise and Fall – “Civilizations at War
    Every track listed here is a must-download. Graves writes beautiful, powerful MV themes, all with a cinematic level of quality. His video game scores King Arthur and Flushed Away are heavily influenced by Zimmer’s and Gregson-William’s scores to the companion movies. His King Arthur score sounds like an extension of Zimmer’s with more focused themes.

There’s a lot of music on Bill Brown’s site. So much of it is MV influenced that it’s difficult to decide which to list here. Some tracks from Rainbow 6 quote the theme from The Rock and his score for the Sinbad play could be compared to Harry Gregson-Williams’ Sinbad score. Check out his site for more great music.

Tom Salta
    -Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter – “GRAW Main Theme
    -Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 – “The Tragedy of War
    -Hawx - “The Unthinkable”, “Artemis Ascendance”, “Ready Aurora
    -Red Steel – “Katana Girl/Choir Theme
    A master of the modern contemporary compositional style who would fit right in at RC Productions. When Salta puts more tracks up on his site the world is a better place.

Inon Zur
    -Dramatic Fantastic – “A Hero”, “Dark Towers”, “Shadows of War
    -Shadow Ops: Red Mercury – “Main Title”, “Storming the Village
    -SOCOM 2: US Navy SEALS
    -Crisis
    -Trailer Music
    Inon Zur, composer of the world’s most intense action music. Red Mercury’s main title basically quotes Zimmer’s “Roll Tide”. Dramatic Fantastic’s “A Hero” is incredible and all of the trailer music is amazing. Zur is one of the most successful video game composers on the market today.

Dynamedion (Composition Company)
    -“Modern” - Military
    -“Civilwar” - Military
    -“Trailer” - Epic (From PotC?)
    -“Trailer 2” – Epic (From Children of Dune)
    -“Rock-Orchestra” – Rock
    Dynamedion has a vague way of categorizing and naming their tracks, but the songs under the headings “Epic”, “Adventure”, “Military” and “ScienceFiction” are very good

Note:
    Extra tracks from Dynamedion's individual composers via proudmusiclibrary.com:
    ParodiFair (Starr Parodi and Jeff Fair)
    -Trailers - "Wild Wild West", "Rob Roy", "Deep Impact"
    -The Elian Gonzalez Story - "Main Title", "The Raid"
    -Do You Wanna Know A Secret? - "Mysterious Traveler", "Dividing the Ground", "Undivided Nature"
    Parodi and Fair are brilliant composers who've written music to every trailer under the sun. Someone really needs to figure out they'd be good at feature films so we can hear some good lengthy albums from them

Jamie Christopherson
    -Boa Vs. Python - “Titles/Wrestling Match
    -The Crow: “Lilly’s Burial”, “The Bikeride”, “Visiting the Chapel
    -Surf’s Up
    -Jack Hunter: The Star of Heaven: “On The Move”, “Love Flashback
    -Maximum Velocity
    -"Aircraft Carrier Sinks" - Demos
    -“Main Titles” - Epoch: Evolution
    -“Cherry Blossoms” - Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
    -“Equipment Setup” - Inside Out
    -“Fireworks” - Goalkeepers
    Christopherson’s natural style is probably not MV by default, but when the project requires he can crank out themes you would swear are straight from the RC team. Titles/Wrestling Match is an awesome MV power anthem with parts that could be right out of Armageddon. “Reggie’s Board Shack” (from Surf's Up) is like the Bad Boys theme gone happy.

One of the best contemporary composers I’ve heard outside of RC-Productions. Beautiful, addictive themes, powerful orchestration, and a good amount of fresh creativity. You’ll recognize the track “Summon the Worms” as the Narnia trailer theme - an amazing track! Tyler has put some of his best tracks up for download. (And FYI, Tyler’s Constantine was co-composed with former RC composer Klaus Badelt, but it’s definitely not their best work.)

Roc Chen (Dead link)
    “The First Emperor of China” – Tianji
    “Main Theme” – Air Combat
    “Plain of Sichuan” - X.Y.D.2
    Stylistically Chen often sounds like a miniature Asian version of Zimmer. An interesting listen, though his themes generally don’t really stick in your head after listening
    Note: Chen's server seems to have gone down in the last few days. The problem might be temporary so the link will be left up

Occasionally RC-ish Composers
    -These guys don’t typically write in the MV-style for most projects, but they can write amazing MV-style music when that’s what the project calls for. (And often their own natural style will still appeal to MV junkies.)
    -The most RC influenced tracks for each composer have been listed here

Tommy Tallarico
    -Advent Rising (Extra music: Game site)
    -Evil Dead - “Finale
    Shipwrecked

Christopher Lennertz
    -The Comebacks
    -Meet the Spartans
    -Gun: “The Colt Travels”, “River Rescue

Gary Stockdale
    Cowboy U” – Cowboy U
    Main Theme” - Team Knight Rider
    Hayley” – Hayley Wagner, Star

(“Eternal Father” is the navy hymn Zimmer covered in Crimson Tide’s “Little Ducks” and the last part of “Roll Tide”)

"Amateur" RC-Style Composers
    -They haven’t exactly hit the big time yet, but that doesn’t mean they won't someday soon! Some really great potential here.

Glyn really knows how to write a good theme. It’s a mystery to me why he’s not an A-list composer in Hollywood right now.

He's only written one soundtrack, and it's for his own game, World of Goo, but this soundtrack is a very good one. It has some of the most fun, creepy, unique and creative music I've heard from any composer in a long time. A very cool style and engaging listen

Hannu Honkonen (Alternate site - Streaming audio)
    Prophecy
    The City of Hope
    Descending River
    -Download .ZIP file of all Honkonen's tracks
    A promising young composer who writes like a slightly less sophisticated version of Zimmer. He’s getting better with each new track

Mac Styran
    -"Circle" - Beyond the Ring (An album inspired by Zimmer's The Ring scores)
    Dawn of a New Day" (Stylistically very similar to Dooley towards the end)

Christopher Franke (Extra: Album excerpts)
    -Standout tracks: 01, 02, 13, 29, 32
    Tracks aren’t really named, but most “Action Adventure” tracks sound very much like Zimmer

Extra RC-Style Tracks

-“Jack’s Theme” – Head Hunter (Richard Jacques)
    -“To Serve and Protect” – To Serve and Protect (David Michael Frank)
    -“Van Comes Home” – Floating (David Mansfield)
    -“Main Theme” – Max Payne 2 (Kärtsy Hatakka and Kimmo Kajasto)
    -"MTV Awards" (Chad Hobston)
    - Battleforge Trax Pack (3 tracks)

-----

-Feliz
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2009
    A small part of me just died when I saw you describe Joel McNeely as "a fairly RC-ish composer". Of all people! McNeely embodies everything that RC has done so much to destroy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Haha! Well I would actually describe Joel McNeely as a mini John Williams or something for his work as a whole. So yeah. Basically the polar opposite of RC. tongue The tracks that I listed there, though, are "fairly RC-ish" (and a complete deviation from his typical style). So maybe I should change it to "Very Occasionally RC-ish Composers" or "Music By Random Generally Un-RCish Composers That Happens to be Fairly RC-ish" since it's more of a list of fairly RC-ish music than composers.

Edit: Hey, that's actually a good idea. I changed it. biggrin

-Feliz
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A lot of material, yikes!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Almost nothing is guaranteed to make me run for the hills more than hearing somethng sounds MV or RC'ish.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    Timmer wrote
    Almost nothing is guaranteed to make me run for the hills more than hearing somethng sounds MV or RC'ish.

I checked your favorite composer list. You weren't kiddin'. smile That couldn't be less RC-ish. (Except for James Newton Howard...) On the bright side, you now have a comprehensive list of which composer's sites you should run for the hills from. wink

The internet's a big place, though. There's something out there for everyone. If you like Basil Poledoris' stuff these tracks would probably interest you.

sdtom wrote
    A lot of material, yikes!

What are you talking about? I've never written a long post in my life. A big, long, scary post. Never. biggrin Just keep looking at one composer at a time and you shouldn't get too overwhelmed. tongue

Which reminds me... I haven't given the link to my complete, overwhelming not-totally-RC-focused soundtrack list. This thread here was the specialized, condensed version, y'know. dizzy

-Big, Fat, Free & Legal Soundtracks List of Everything

There.

-Feliz
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well said Feliz smile

I'd like to point out that I do like a good number of Zimmer scores and even a little RC. For me the best thing to come out of any of it is John Powell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Well said Feliz smile

I'd like to point out that I do like a good number of Zimmer scores and even a little RC. For me the best thing to come out of any of it is John Powell.

No kidding. He wipes the floor with all the other MV and RC composers!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Maybe he's an RC composer himself?! shocked
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Well said Feliz smile

No kidding. He wipes the floor with all the other MV and RC composers!

It's interesting how much better he is since leaving them (with the arguable exception of the animation music). I wonder if the RC working environment held him back and he would have become better, sooner, if he hadn't been there; or if being at RC gave him the learning curve he needed, and that's why he was so good after he left.