• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010 edited
    Me too, it's mesmerizing! Too bad for the moodkilling songs in the middle (though the opera piece works as a nice interlude), but for the rest, it's a superb album with amazing sound quality!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    It's hands-down one of the top 3 scores from last year and of course a gem of quality modern film music. It's absolutely beautiful.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010
    Wow...I couldn't get through it... shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010
    Give it another listen! Don't you at least like Stillness of the Mind?
  1. Ordered these at SAE, some of them are used but a bargain nonetheless:

- Robocop (Poledouris): the new and improved... I'll be enjoying this time and time again.
    - Diamonds are forever (Barry): expanded and sounding brilliant, it's my third Barry-Bond purchase.
    - Kull the Conqueror (Joel Goldsmith): I've never heard it, but I do remember the comments saying it's great.
    - Henry V (Doyle): I had this on CD-R for years, I finally decided to get it legally.
    - Halo 2 Vol. 2 (O'Donnell): the odd one out, but enjoyable enough for me, just nothing of the quality of the above.

punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    - Kull the Conqueror (Joel Goldsmith): I've never heard it, but I do remember the comments saying it's great.

It is! Perfect symphonic rock score!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Well seeing how I love both rock and symphony this will not be a letdown. Guitars and violins, why the hell not? They are related after all !! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. DreamTheater wrote
    Ordered these at SAE, some of them are used but a bargain nonetheless:

- Robocop (Poledouris): the new and improved... I'll be enjoying this time and time again.
    - Diamonds are forever (Barry): expanded and sounding brilliant, it's my third Barry-Bond purchase.
    - Henry V (Doyle): I had this on CD-R for years, I finally decided to get it legally.
    - Halo 2 Vol. 2 (O'Donnell): the odd one out, but enjoyable enough for me, just nothing of the quality of the above.

punk

Kull is a very cool score, you didn't like it that much when I let you heard the suite, but I'm sure you'll change your mind now, it's part Scorpion King, part Stargate (little perhaps but you'll definitely hear it)

great buys dude punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010
    La Môme (including 20+ minutes of Christopher Gunning score and naturally a lot of Edith Piaf music)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010
    Joep wrote
    La Môme (including 20+ minutes of Christopher Gunning score and naturally a lot of Edith Piaf music)

That is just beautiful!

My only acquisition in recent times was Bruno Coulais' score to Le Comte de Monte Cristo.
  4. I recently bought a title that must be one of the longest:

Ensemble, Nous Allons Vivre Une Tres, Tres Grande Histoire d'Amour - Reinhardt Wagner

I really like the more intimate - and lighthearted - tracks of this release. I've not come across the work of Wagner before and this is quite a nice little collection, featuring tracks from some of his other scores, including Mon Petit Doigt m'a Dit, L'Heure Zéro and Le Crime Est Notre Affaire.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorChrK
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010
    Things received/purchased this year:

639) Spider-Man 3 (Promo, CDr)
    640) The Blue Max
    641) A Cloud on a Slope (Saka no Ue no Kumo)
    642) Creation
    643) The Hindenburg
    644) The Natural
    645) Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea (Image Album)
    646) A Tale of Ululu’s Wonderful Forest (Ururu no mori no monogatari)
    647) Firelight
    648) Aliens (Deluxe Edition)
    649) Amelia
    650) Twilight - New Moon
    651) The Red Canvas
    652) Star Wars – Ep.II : Attack of the Clones (Complete, DVD-ripp)
    653) Star Wars – Ep.III: Revenge of the Sith (Complete, DVD-ripp)
    654) Alice in Wonderland
    655) Merry Christmas
    656) Cross Creek
    657) Kings Row (Complete) / The Sea Wolf
    658) North by Northwest (Deluxe Edition)
    659) On Dangerous Ground
    660) The Screen Music of Richard Harvey - Shroud for a Nightingale
    661) El Orfanato
    662) Die Päpstin (aka Pope Joan)
    663) Porco Rosso
    664) Tenkū no shiro Rapyuta (aka Laputa - Castle in the Sky)

And seeing how much glorious stuff is going to be released soon/later this year, my wallet's gonna die a very drawn-out death... shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010
    Wind Man
    The Irony Of Fate 2 (cover feautures a Santa Claus in blue? uhm )
    Georg
    Sea Dogs (game score)

All by Yury Poteyenko
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    While most of you were peeing yer panties over the ID4 release I went ahead and ordered the 2CD release of Maurice Jarre's utterly magnificent MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME.

I'z a happy bunny punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. A bit of a Serra fix!

Arthur and The Minimoys
    Arthur et La Vengeance de Maltazard
    Les Aventures Extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec

I like his Leon and (some of) The Fifth Element and I've been meaning to pick up the original Arthur score for ages.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    A bit of a Serra fix!

Arthur and The Minimoys

I like his Leon and (some of) The Fifth Element and I've been meaning to pick up the original Arthur score for ages.

Cool! I really liked his Arthur and the Minimoys score. It was my 1st Serra purchase and there was a lot of good thematic writing but the album was tad too long. I like what I've heard of the 2nd Arthur score on SST.
    Let us know how the Aventures... score is.

After a looong wait I finally got lucky with a purchase-

Bernard Herrmann: Obssession/Welles Raises Kane/The Devil & Daniel Webster
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2010
    Caetano Veloso - Tieta Do Agresta
    George Fenton - The Blue Planet
    Antonio Pinto - Cidade dos Homens
    Pengbian Sang - Nueba Yol Por Fin Llego Balbuena
    Tony Banks - Music from the films Quicksilver and Lorca and the Outlaws
    Mark Knopfler - Last Exit To Brooklyn
    John Williams - Seven Years in Tibet
    Kill Bill Vol. 2
    Paradise Road (William Ross score and choir pieces performed by the Dutch Malle Babbe choir)
    Marvin Hamlisch - The Sting (2th copy)
    Stephen Warbeck - Shakespeare in Love (2th copy)
    Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas (2th copy)
    Nino Rota - The Godfather (2th copy)
    Niki Reiser - Nirgendwo in Afrika (2th copy)
    Moulin Rouge Vol 1 (2th copy)
    Roland Baumgartner - Uncontrollable Passions
    Stay Tuned - (2 cues by Bruce Broughton)
    Colours of dance - selections of the music from the Holiday on Ice show
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    A bit of a Serra fix!

Arthur and The Minimoys

The first Arthur is an absolute treasure, the second was way too synthesized for me, brought back the best moments of the first but neglected to infuse something new, I didn't like it at all

but you'll love the first one though smile
  7. I really do like the first one - I first heard it whilst watching the film on DVD a few years ago but never got around to buying it. Hearing it now away from the film it is a fine effort from Serra - and a nice change to the "Serra sound" I was familiar with (from scores like Leon).

As you rightly say the second one is very much the inferior counterpart to the original.

Adèle Blanc-Sec is a different score again and I didn't really come away with any firm opinion after listening to it the first time (which may be a bad thing!) I'm in no real hurry to listen to it again - which may be another bad sign.
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I really do like the first one - I first heard it whilst watching the film on DVD a few years ago but never got around to buying it. Hearing it now away from the film it is a fine effort from Serra - and a nice change to the "Serra sound" I was familiar with (from scores like Leon).

As you rightly say the second one is very much the inferior counterpart to the original.

yeah, I was seriously disappointed with the second, considering the first is such a departure from the rest I heard of him. Sad really, but at least you have now one good Arthur wink
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited
    Vincent D'Hondt - De Bal (finally another 'Dutch score' composed by a Belgian composer)
    Lesley Barber - Mansfield Park
    Resident Evil (includes 14 minutes of horrible Marilyn Manson score)
    Barring Pheloung - Inspector Morse Vol 2 (2th copy)
    Alan Menken - Pocahontas (2th copy)
    Varese Sarabande Soundtrack Sampler (2th copy)
    Swordfish (includes a few Oakenfold/Young cues)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010
    Recently ordered:

John Barry - The Scarlett Letter
    Elliot Goldenthal - Batman Forever (wasn't there some talk a while ago about a release of Batman & Robin?)

All first copies for my own enjoyment.
  9. The Scarlet Letter is a good one! love

Musically it's the never made sequel to Dances With Wolves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    BobdH wrote
    All first copies for my own enjoyment.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    DreamTheater wrote
    The Scarlet Letter is a good one! love

Musically it's the never made sequel to Dances With Wolves.

so I heard! I saw the recent raving on the board, and I thought it would be good as preparation for the Barry concert. The Adagio performance sealed the deal; I've been looking for a good presentation of this piece on CD for quite a while!
  10. Yes the choir piece is brilliant and I think I prefer it over the strings-only version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010
    (downloads)
    Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang - Howard
    Zombieland - some dude who isn't really a composer
    Fantasic Mr. Fox (both releases) - Desplat
    The Secret In Their Eyes - Kauderer & Jusid
    Effi Briest - Söderqvist
    Film Music 2009 - City of Prague Philharmonic

(actual CDs)
    Black Sunday - Williams
    Robocop - Poledouris
    The Red Canvas - Peterson
    A Single Man - Korzeniowski & Umebayashi
    God of War III - Various
    Clash of the Titans - Djawadi
    Nightmare on Elm Street - Jablonsky
    Vanechka - Poteyenkno
    Age of Pirates & Sea Dogs - Poteyenko
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010
    Perquisite - Carmen van het Noorden
    Bernard Hunnekink - Van Schoonheid en de Troost
  11. I finally got Heat - Elliot Goldenthal on ebay. About time too as the film is just brilliant and some of the music in it never fails to strike huge emotional chords. Also it's one peculiar musical soundscape Goldenthal and company came up with for Heat. But will hearing it on CD be the same experience as hearing it in the film? Doubtful, as Heat is so much more than the music. Anyway as a bit of a fan of Elliot I thought it was time to get it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    I finally got Heat - Elliot Goldenthal on ebay. About time too as the film is just brilliant and some of the music in it never fails to strike huge emotional chords. Also it's one peculiar musical soundscape Goldenthal and company came up with for Heat. But will hearing it on CD be the same experience as hearing it in the film? Doubtful, as Heat is so much more than the music. Anyway as a bit of a fan of Elliot I thought it was time to get it. smile

Superb in the film, superb on CD. One of the few soundtracks where original score and non-original tracks merge perfectly.
    I am extremely serious.