• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. For those who don't know, there were three extremely stubborn studios who would not liscence out the rights to scores they owned, or either wanted too much. Recently in an interview Roger (Intrada Records) said they have no re-established connections with Disney, so that studio -- one of the three -- has fallen.

The other two were Paramount and Universal (though rumor is Intrada has also made head-way with Universal). Now La La Land Records has broken into Paramount!!! And they are unleashing a much requested Bernstein title (with more to follow):

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/SpecialAnnouncement.html

Remember, Paramount owns Star Trek.....
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009
    glad to hear it
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Airplane seems like a good release!!!
  2. well, it is good enough for a spin
    Not exactly world class
    but the theme and final track surely is fun smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    there are a lot of paramount that i'd be interested in. Victor Young and perhaps 50 of his scores!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    First thing that pops into my mind is expanded STAR TREK scores!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Me too!

Treks II & III please, thank you very much.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. And no, we have not delved into any tv properties as of yet. We hope to in the near future. Right now we are concentrating on their vast film catalog and hope to have more amazing Paramount titles out by years end.

Working with Paramount has been fantastic. They are all aware of the film score collector's wants and needs. More titles will be forthcoming. Dreams, wishes and desires shall be yours!

MV

(FSM thread reply)

And appearently the new man in charge over at the Paramount music department is the guy we need to thank: Randy Spendlove

As soon as I find a contact address, I am going to write him a thank you letter.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Randy Spendlove.

biggrin
    Kazoo
  4. Yeah, he's married to a model: Alecia Guzman

Google Images = no wonder he's smiling in the photos.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Must be related to Chris P. Bacon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    justin boggan wrote
    Yeah, he's married to a model: Alecia Guzman

Google Images = no wonder he's smiling in the photos.

This is what Google Images brought up for me.

I can certainly see what you mean.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    This is of course great news, and I'm hopeful that it will make even a "retired" soundtrack buyer like myself slip out of the closet to pick up an unreleased Williams or Elfman or two. BLACK SUNDAY, for example. And isn't SUGARLAND EXPRESS also Paramount?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oooh, Black Sunday would be nice! I wonder what other Paramount possibilities there are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I would love to see Shane
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009
    Thor wrote
    And isn't SUGARLAND EXPRESS also Paramount?

Roger Fiegelson said in a recent interview that John Williams is making sure that Sugarland never sees the light of day. Shame!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Thor wrote

No, that's a Universal title.
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Roger Fiegelson said in a recent interview that John Williams is making sure that Sugarland never sees the light of day. Shame!

-Erik-

Any idea why Williams doesn't want to see it released?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Any idea why Williams doesn't want to see it released?

I have no idea why.

HERE is the interview.

The question was - Did you ever release scores in order to please the composer, even if you would not do it without him asking for it? Did the contrary ever happen, a composer asking you not to release a score?

Roger's answer was - Yes to both. We’ve done things for composers and studios as a favor because we like to support their efforts. And yes, John Williams was adamant about there not being a release of Sugarland Express.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sometimes composers are unsatisfied with their own works or perhaps to cover some mistakes, so they don't want certain scores of theirs released? For example I heard Zimmer didn't want Lion King to get more score on the OST than what was included because he wanted to cover up some "poor orchestration" at some places... tongue

Anyway, I'd love to see expanded releases of Star Trek scores come up!
  5. Well, Williams won't be around forever to stop it, and eventually we will get a complete, remastered SE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'd rather have Williams than just one score of his... sad
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    Maybe JW didn't like that crazy harmonica on the score.... wink
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That sounds like a bizzare wish from Williams. I have the SUGARLAND boot, and it's a fine score in the vein of MISSOURI BREAKS and REIVERS. A down and dirty Americana effort. Williams has even recorded the main theme for various compilations. So it sounds weird. Does anyone who owns the SUGARLAND DVD know if Williams makes any comments on the score there?
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Star Trek II and III would be most welcome expanded editions punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Does anyone who owns the SUGARLAND DVD know if Williams makes any comments on the score there?

None. The DVD is bare bones.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    There was a day not that long ago when a composer had no choice. It was owned by the studio.
    I'm glad it has changed in that respect. For those of you who don't know when the famous main theme Laura was released the composer was listed as 20th Century Fox and not David Raksin on the 12" 78RPM.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    sdtom wroteFor those of you who don't know when the famous main theme Laura was released the composer was listed as 20th Century Fox and not David Raksin on the 12" 78RPM.

How lame. slant
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    There was a day not that long ago when a composer had no choice. It was owned by the studio.

In most cases, it still is. As far as I know, John Williams cannot legally block a release of Sugarland Express. He can just express his wish that it not be released and I'm sure that neither Intrada nor Universal Pictures would want to upset him.

We know that Goldsmith didn't like some of the extended editions of his scores that came out during his lifestyle, and I'm sure the Varese Club wouldn't have done things like the expanded Runaway and The Vanishing (which he explicitly said he didn't want to be released) if he'd still been around, since they wouldn't have wanted to upset him. But he had no legal ownership of that music so legally they could have done it anyway.