• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2013
    I too have not listened to the suite for awhile.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013 edited
    THE WHITE DAWN
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2013
    'tis Ordered. smile
    (Together with the new Alfred Newman Kritzerland put out).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2013
    I don't think I'll order White Dawn.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013 edited
    WOW!

INTRADA Announces:

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S
    Music Composed and Conducted by HENRY MANCINI
    INTRADA MAF 7129

For the 1961 Paramount Pictures' film Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Henry Mancini wrote the melody of a lifetime and the score to go with it. Along with lyricist Johnny Mercer, he penned the song “Moon River” and enjoyed seeing it win the 1961 Academy Award for Best Song—and rapidly become one of the most recorded hits of all time. His Academy Award-winning score became equally famous. As was the norm in those days, Mancini selected approximately half an hour of melodies from the film score and re-arranged them for an RCA album aimed at the easy listening market. While the arrangements made for tuneful listening,the more serious orchestral sequences went unrepresented. Incredibly, while the “Moon River” theme, with its signature harmonica solo representing the lonely melancholy of principal character Holly Golightly (Audrey Hepburn) was the most famous melody in the picture, Mancini chose to leave it off the re-recorded album save for the main title and a cha-cha version. That meant the entire final (and justifiably celebrated) sequence of the picture—the search for “cat,” that unforgettable embrace of the two lovers, the beautifully shot closing image of both cat and lovers re-united in the rain—and the dramatic treatment of “Moon River” with its trademark discordant notes of suspense leading to one of the most stirring orchestral crescendos and codas in all film music, went completely unrecorded for the record-buying public. Also gone were all of the lonesome variations of the melody, as well as the dramatic scoring for “Doc” Golightly (Buddy Ebsen), the magnificent parting sequence at the bus station, and many other cues.

Until now.

For the first time, fans of this moving and magnificent film score can hear the soundtrack versions Mancini composed and conducted for the film—every dramatic cue, all of the sentimental variations, every big band tune and all the other pieces that make up this special soundtrack CD. Working from a number of master materials, including the 35mm three-channel stereo tracks, mono film soundtrack stems, DAT transfers made by Paramount Pictures and a handful of alternate and demo recordings, the entire score was remixed into a rich and rewarding stereo experience (with the exception of three score cues and the variety of extras that appear on this CD). It’s everything film music fans could want and it's everything Henry Mancini wrote for this most cherished of never-before-released soundtracks.

INTRADA MAF 7129
    Retail Price: $19.99
    Available Now
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.8320/.f
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2013
    Ordered, of course.
    I've had a pretty good compilation from different sources, but I'd been waiting for a proper all-inclusive release of this,
    Lovely score, for a lovely film.
    I should really watch it again some time.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Great film, even if... somehow different from its source material.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A good example of a film greatly outshining the rather mediocre book.
    (Jaws would be another one).
  2. Really? I think the neurotic angst of the novel was quite something... it was almost unanimously praised as well. The book wasn't a comedy, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I might get this for the John Williams involvement, even though I'm content with the old RCA CD. He played piano on the recording sessions, but not on the album rerecording.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I might get this for the John Williams involvement, even though I'm content with the old RCA CD. He played piano on the recording sessions, but not on the album rerecording.

Johnny T was Mancini's bitch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Really? I think the neurotic angst of the novel was quite something... it was almost unanimously praised as well. The book wasn't a comedy, too.

I'm not a Capote fan.
    While I appreciate his impact on literature, I can't for the life of me understand why he's so revered.
    His writing is stilted and unnatural and annoys the crap out of me.

But then I'm a fine one to talk: I think Brett Easton Ellis is the best thing that's happened to American prose since Ambrose Bierce. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

applause
    First Laugh-Out-Loud of the day.
    Thanks, Timmer!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    A good example of a film greatly outshining the rather mediocre book.
    (Jaws would be another one).

JAWS was the very first "grown-up" book I read and I read it before JAWS was released. :old:

The film is far superior to the book, amongst other things, out goes the Captain Ahab ending.

As for Breakfast At Tiffany's, I didn't even know it was a book.
  3. A serious one at that! Even if Audrey was his friend, Capote had another idea of who should play Holly, didn't he?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Ha, ha...he was indeed. He played on a LOT of Mancini soundtracks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013
    For me when I think about Capote it is the book he did with Harper Lee "In Cold Blood." As far as the new Intrada release I have to give them credit for trying to market yet another Mancini CD. I bought the LP and transferred it to CD which is all I need. Once in awhile I get it out and listen to it. Been years since I've seen the movie. A good but not a great film.
    Tom
  4. I knew Capote had a hand in "To Kill a Mockingbird". I didn't know, Harper Lee wrote any other books.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013
    I think Lee always refuted Capote's claim of involvement on Mockingbird. It led, if memory serves, to a major falling-out between them.
  5. Isn't it accepted as a fact, that Capote had a major influence at least on the final chapter? I'll look into that one of these days.
    However:
    Marvelous novel;
    marvelous film;
    marvelous score!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    I knew Capote had a hand in "To Kill a Mockingbird". I didn't know, Harper Lee wrote any other books.

Volker

She wrote the one book that I'm aware of and the work she put into 'In Cold Blood'
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014
    Conversation between Henry Mancini and John Barry...

http://www.johnbarry.org.uk/mancini_barry.php