• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2009
    The time I spent in college was made pleasant by the fine band experience I had.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sadly Peter Gunn theme is his only music I know so far. I really need to check out this guy's scores!
  1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas, Pink Panther and Peter Gunn too smile

ah yes, how could I have forgotten Pink Panther? shame
    The funniest movie of them all (The Pink Panther Strikes Again) punk has nice music. I was always a favourite of the music when Inspector Clouseau wants to get into the castle (but always falls in the water)

Man, what a movie smile

Peter Gunn I may have heard, but it doesn't ring a bell for now
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Johnny Williams plays the piano on the Peter Gunn album, which is, you know, another extra.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Sadly Peter Gunn theme is his only music I know so far. I really need to check out this guy's scores!

When it comes to themes Mancini has a small handful of equals but no betters.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I will be listening to Hatari and Pink Panther as I've heard a lot of praise for them cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't think the Pink Panther as a whole score stand up too well: cues like the Tiber Twist and Something For Sellers are nice and loungey enough, but aren't jazzy enoug to be compelling or score-y enough to be really interesting.

As a whole score I prefer Hatari.
    The Pink Panther theme blows anything out of the water though (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know and agree, Timmer. Except A Shot In The Dark. wink )

My favourite Mancini scores are
    A Shot In The Dark
    Experiment In Terror
    Hatari
    Arabesque

Nightwing
    has lately become a favourite score too.

As far as themes go, Mancini is pretty unbeatable: he's never written a dud one in his life as far as I'm concerned. Lifeforce, The Molly Maguires, The Thorn Birds, Charade...the list just goes on and on!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    If you really want the best of the Pink Panther films' music, I'd heartilyrecommend this (very cheap) CD, which features all the highlights of all the Pink Panthers, including the A Shot In The Dark theme.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ah, ok. Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One of Henry's albums that is excellent but not soundtrack related is his "Blues and the Beat," a fine example of big band and orchestral arranging.
    Thomas
  2. Filmed interview -- hear and see Mancini speak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLgXObEsbug
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    Filmed interview -- hear and see Mancini speak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLgXObEsbug

cool

Shame about the 3rd part just cutting dead slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6mXo8tLQfs
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorFrank
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2009 edited
    Now available for pre-order from Screen Archives:

SANTA CLAUS: THE MOVIE

1000 edition import. Celebrate your best Christmas with Henry Mancini´s delicious music for the 1985 film classic. First time on CD!! Same tracks as LP version.

01. Main Title: Every Christmas Eve & Santa's Theme (4.08) - Aled Jones
    02. Arrival of the Elves (4:04)
    03. Making Toys (3:56) - The Ambrossian Children’s Choir
    04. Christmas Rhapsody (3:50)
    05. It's Christmas Again (2:27) - The Ambrossian Children’s Choir
    06. March of the Elves (2:52)
    07. Patch, Natch! (1:11) - The Ambrossian Singers
    08. It's Chrismas (All Over the World) (4:59) - Sheena Easton
    09. Sleigh Ride Over Manhattan (4:11)
    10. Sad Patch (3:07)
    11. Patch Versus Santa (4:08)
    12. Thank You, Santa (3:11) - The Ambrossian Children´s Choir

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_det … -PRE-ORDER
  4. And the owner of the label posted at FSM that this is a legal, liscened from EMI release (making sure to specify it is not like Hakrit), and remastered from the tapes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2009
    Have the LP which is sufficient for me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't have the LP....want! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I recall Tim I didn't even play it last year as part of my Xmas selection.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I've just had a look Tom and I don't want it now. It's a fine score but I'll wait ( even if it's years, hell, I waited nearly 30 years for the Bond releases I deamed of ) for a better, expanded release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm just not a person anymore that has to have everything by a particular composer and I grew up with the Mancini soundtrack re-recordings. There is so much material today even if I got it all for free I couldn't possible listen to all of it. There just isn't enough time in my life to sit and listen hour after hour anymore. To complicate it further I like classical too. Naxos has 23,000 now available. If I listen to 700 a year I'll have to make it to 102, yikes
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    I had the opportunity on Saturday night to watch Charade, score by Henry Mancini. With the exception of a few underscore tension situations there were non stop theme after theme all of merit. When I compare this to the last film I saw at the theater Invictus, a theme I can no longer remember, I just have to say I don't understand. I'm not comparing films only composers and film eras.
    Thomas'
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I had the opportunity on Saturday night to watch Charade, score by Henry Mancini. With the exception of a few underscore tension situations there were non stop theme after theme all of merit. When I compare this to the last film I saw at the theater Invictus, a theme I can no longer remember, I just have to say I don't understand. I'm not comparing films only composers and film eras.
    Thomas'

I would IMMEDIATELY buy a proper, original score release of Charade, a great score and an instantly memorable theme.
  5. sdtom -- in fact, any member here -- I can't say this enough: if you don't have the 2CD set from Varese of "The Thorn Birds", you are sorely missing out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    sdtom -- in fact, any member here -- I can't say this enough: if you don't have the 2CD set from Varese of "The Thorn Birds", you are sorely missing out.

It's still on top of my 'to gets'.
  6. I'll make it a point to search for re-runs of "Charade" -- I want to hear this.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's great Justin. As you'll know, the "original" album was anything but.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Charade is an A-grade, five-star film up with the best of them. Its score is exceptional and I'd buy a proper album in a heartbeat. I can't believe some of the stuff that gets released when something like Charade never has been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's surely one of his greatest works, along with Peter Gunn and Pink Panther.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Charade is an A-grade, five-star film up with the best of them. Its score is exceptional and I'd buy a proper album in a heartbeat. I can't believe some of the stuff that gets released when something like Charade never has been.

Absofuckinlutely!