• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012
    CONDORMAN

Just released by Intrada, I love this goofy superhero score and I've just ordered it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    CONDORMAN

Just released by Intrada, I love this goofy superhero score and I've just ordered it.

You see, even just seeing the word "goofy" knocks a good 75% of my interest into touch. I've no idea what this sounds like so I need to listen to the clips to see if my worry is justified.

wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012 edited
    'Goofy' may be the wrong term, It's fun and very catchy. Your opinion may differ. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    'Goofy' may be the wrong term, It's fun and very catchy. Your opinion may differ. wink

Well, that lasted about 35 seconds! Fractions of a second after "Condorman!" was heard.

vomit
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, that lasted about 35 seconds! Fractions of a second after "Condorman!" was heard.

vomit

Many of my contemporaries squealed in nostalgia as well...

Never having seen the film, I did have some serious problems getting past "Roboc..." errr "Condormaaaan!" myself. slant I think I'll pass on this one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. With Rosenman's Robocop 2 score, I always wondered why the vocals were "Robocop" rather than the more technically accurate, "Robocop Twooooooo".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DA DA DADADAD DAHHH ROBOCOP TWOOOOOOOO biggrin
  4. HOLY SHIT 3CD SANTA CLAUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … mp;theater
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    HOLY SHIT 3CD SANTA CLAUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … mp;theater

Great Mancini score! I'll be getting it. cool
  5. SAE's page has the full track listing:

DISC ONE: THE FILM SCORE
    1 Main Title: Every Christmas Eve / Santa’s Theme (4:27)
    2 North Star/ Arrival of the Elves (4:07)
    3 Santa’s New Home (4:14)
    4 The Magic Workshop (1:43)
    5 Reindeer Stable (1:52)
    6 Making Toys (Film Version) (4:01)
    7 Season’s Greetings (1:36)
    8 The Ancient One (2:32)
    9 Santa Claus / First Sleigh Ride / Christmas Rhapsody (5:28)
    10 Naughty or Nice (Does not appear in the film) (1:04)
    11 Into the XXTH Century (1:38)
    12 It’s Christmas Again (2:39)
    13 March of the Elves (2:55)
    14 Table Scraps (1:19)
    15 A New Sleigh Ride / Santa Meets Joe (1:41)
    16 Sleigh Ride Over Manhattan (4:15)
    17 Cornelia’s Home (1:53)
    18 Bad Toys (0:38)
    19 Sad Patch (3:11)
    20 Vanishing Elf (1:42)
    21 No Free Toys (1:12)
    22 Present for Joe (0:48)
    23 Patch, Natch! (1:17)
    24 Patchmobile / Patch Versus Santa (5:13)
    25 Lollipop Flight (1:39)
    26 Stronger Formula (1:37)
    27 The World Is Different (1:02)
    28 A New Doll (0:49)
    29 Eavesdropping (2:35)
    Total Disc One Time: 69:06

DISC TWO: THE FILM SCORE (CONT.)
    1 Letter From Cornelia (2:30)
    2 Elf Portrait (1:45)
    3 Flight From Police (1:06)
    4 To the North Pole / Super Duper Looper / Reunited Again (6:09)
    5 End Titles: Thank You, Santa (Does not appear in the film) (4:47)
    THE EXTRAS
    6 Every Christmas Eve (Alternate Lyrics) (4:28)
    7 Making Toys (Children’s Choir) (4:01)
    8 Making Toys (Carousel Version) (0:27)
    9 Making Toys (Men’s Choir) (4:01)
    10 Making Toys (Instrumental Alternate) (4:00)
    11 Patch Versus Santa (Alternate) (4:34)
    12 To the North Pole (Alternate) (3:49)
    13 Thank You, Santa (Alternate Vocal) (3:35)
    14 Every Christmas Eve (Instrumental Version) (4:27)
    15 It’s Christmas Again (Instrumental Version) (1:20)
    16 It’s Christmas Again (Christmas Bells) (1:21)
    17 Chopin’s Waltz (Source) (0:30)
    18 Patch, Natch! (Instrumental Version) (1:14)
    19 Thank You, Santa (Instrumental Version) (4:29)
    20 Patch Toys (Percussion Insert) (0:27)
    21 Christmas Jingles (Rehearsal) (2:53)
    22 Making Toys (TV Spot) (0:26)
    Total Disc Two Time: 62:19

DISC THREE: THE 1985 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
    1 Main Title: Every Christmas Eve / Santa’s Theme (4:11)
    2 Arrival of the Elves (4:08)
    3 Making Toys (4:01)
    4 Christmas Rhapsody (3:53)
    5 It’s Christmas Again (2:31)
    6 March of the Elves (2:55)
    7 Patch, Natch! (1:15)
    8 It’s Christmas All Over the World (5:02)
    9 Shouldn’t Do That (3:33)
    10 Sleigh Ride Over Manhattan (4:16)
    11 Sad Patch (3:12)
    12 Patch Versus Santa (4:13)
    13 Thank You, Santa (3:09)
    Total Disc Three Time: 46:21
    Total Disc Time: 2:57:46
  6. Never heard it. Is it a "typical" Christmas score? (Off to listen to any clips...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012 edited
    Listening to the clips of Santa Claus: The Movie, the orchestrations remind me a bit of Nightwing or Lifeforce. But, I had to switch off as soon as I heard the song.

vomit

But looking at Revenge of the Pink Panther even the track title, "Not Tonight Cato", makes me smile!

biggrin
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to the clips of Santa Claus: The Movie, the orchestrations remind me a bit of Nightwing or Lifeforce. But, I had to switch off as soon as I heard the song.

Which song? There were several written for the film. But it's not a musical and the brilliance of this release is finally hearing all of Mancini's wondrous score. The soundtrack album was heavy on songs and reorchestrated segments of score with a 1985 soundtrack album in mind.
  8. The song in the Main Titles track.

Your question suggests that there's actually more than one song in the film?
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    The song in the Main Titles track.

Your question suggests that there's actually more than one song in the film?

My question suggests it, and then my next sentence explicitly states it. smile

But seriously, yes there were a handful of songs written for the film which were woven into the score proper ("Every Christmas Eve," "Thank You Santa," "Patch" and "Making Toys," though the film version of the last one did away with the choir). But like I said, it's not a musical. The songs are used fleetingly at isolated moments (80's montage!). The movie features about 85 minutes of traditional underscore and the new release adds quite a bit more bonus material.

But you don't need me to tell you this; it's right there in the samples. If you stopped as soon as you heard one song in the title track, then I don't know what to tell you. If it's just not your cup of tea, fair enough. But give it a go.
  10. I had a listen to subsequent clips and they reminded me of the score I mentioned. And this latter sound tempts me!
  11. It's obviously not quite the same tone as NIGHTWING or LIFEFORCE, but it's certainly not a kiddie score and it uses some of the same elements. There are quite a few moments of pathos and wonder where Mancini really lets the orchestra shine.

As for the movie itself, it's basically split into two halves. The first half is a telling of the myth of Santa Claus, and this is where the score goes full bore into creating a magical realism. It's treated more or less as big, bold fantasy. The second half moves the story to modern day and involves a really silly diversion about a corrupt toymaker (John Lithgow hamming it up) and Santa needing to, ahem, save Christmas and rescue a wayward elf (Dudley Moore, who can't help but be engaging even if the material is beneath him). The score switches gears to a more contemporary sensibility and even offers some action.
  12. Timmer wrote
    DA DA DADADAD DAHHH ROBOCOP TWOOOOOOOO biggrin

Lat,e but:

NO, no, no, no, no, no, NO. It would be sung as a five-note ascending theme:

ROoooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ............BOooooooooooooooooooo
    ........................oooooooooooooooo
    ..................................COooooooooo
    ..........................................PPppp!!!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2012 edited
    I don't own many comedy scores but as I don't have the theme in my collection so far so I might go for Pink Panther this time. Santa Clause, as good as the music may be, I can't justify any purchase of such a 'christmassy' album (unless there's a huge bodycount in the movie); Home Alone is as far as I'll go biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2012
    francis wrote
    I don't own many comedy scores but as I don't have the theme in my collection so far so I might go for Pink Panther this time.

shocked No! shocked
    No no no no no no no!

This is the disco'd-up version!
    Do yourself a favour and pick ANY of the other Pink Panther score if you feel you need the theme represented in your collection!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorFrank
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2012 edited
    I've received the Quartet Santa Claus CD today. A wonderful release with a few surprises.
  13. The usual FSM board bullshit aside, I can't wait to get mine. I got my shipping notice from SAE yesterday, which usually means I'll get it the next day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    The usual FSM board bullshit aside...

Just out of curiosity (but I realise I may regret asking this), what is "the usual FSM board bullshit" (in this particular context)?
  14. Martijn wrote
    Mike Skerritt wrote
    The usual FSM board bullshit aside...

Just out of curiosity (but I realise I may regret asking this), what is "the usual FSM board bullshit" (in this particular context)?

smile

To make a long story short, a new poster started a thread titled "Concerns about Quarters [sic] Santa Claus Release" where he expressed some misgivings about the new release because of the sound problems he had with the old release. It's a fair enough question to have, but instead of addressing it one of the myriad SC threads already up at the forum or just sending a direct email to Quartet, he started a new thread (after joining the forum that same day) not with the question "Hey I was wondering about the sound quality" but "Oh man guys I don't know this could be bad." I and a few others considered it trolling (I still do) and not at all fair to Jose and the guys at Quartet, when he's been very clear about the issues with the old release and was very clear about the source for the new release. But he took the time to respond to the guy's point in a lengthy post. At that point a bunch of folks came out against those who called the OP on his trolling. I really try not to get involved with that stuff (I just don't post that often there and it's not worth my time), but I was taken aback by the reaction and defended my stance. If people disagree that's fine, but every argument there is so damn reductive it was annoying me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2013
    Mancini's THE WHITE DAWN coming to CD via Intrada on September 17th!

shocked

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic … amp;t=5768

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  15. I need to listen to the suite from The White Dawn again...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yes.... great suite!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh NICE! That suite is great!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Mancini's THE WHITE DAWN coming to CD via Intrada on September 17th!

shocked

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic … amp;t=5768

-Erik-

The only thing in soundtrack release land that could shock me would be a release of Oliver Nelson's Six Million Dollar Man scores ( which I've wanted forever ) but WHITE DAWN isn't far behind. What fantastic news!