• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009
    What's the basic difference between a 4.5 star score and a five star score?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    0.5 doesn't this make huge difference? biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote

Sure it does. I'd say 5 is perfection... 4.5 is almost perfect.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    1 = Crap
    1.5 = Crap with some mediocrity
    2 = Mediocre
    2.5 = Mediocre with some good parts
    3 = Good
    3.5 = Good with some excellent parts
    4 = Excellent
    4.5 = Excellent with some classic parts
    5 = Classic, perfect, doesn't get better

That's how it works in my mind at least, dunno about Southall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I use a highly-complex algorithm to work out star ratings which frankly few people are likely to understand.
  1. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    biggrin
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Btw, Southall, when will there be new reviews up on movie-wave?
    Looking forward reading your comments about Angels and Demons, T4, Something wicked this way comes... ;-)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I use a highly-complex algorithm to work out star ratings which frankly few people are likely to understand.

Lets hear it then?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You cannot know.
    You are only 16th degree.
    You have no passed the Tests yet.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Erik Woods wrote
    Sunil wrote

Sure it does. I'd say 5 is perfection... 4.5 is almost perfect.

-Erik-

I know that very well. smile
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2009 edited
    Southall wrote

That's why you gave Horner's Troy 4.5 stars and gave Silvestri's Back To The Future 3 stars...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote

That's why you gave Horner's Troy 4.5 stars and gave Silvestri's Back To The Future 3 stars...

Oh ssshhit! face-palm-mt Here we go again. You might want to search this message board and MMUK for "Southall + Back To The Future" and you will see why he ranks it so low.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. KevinSmith wrote
    What's the basic difference between a 4.5 star score and a five star score?

you have a top reviewer here, and they ask a top reviever of another site dizzy

I sense I'm not appreciated here tongue

Anyway, I explained your exact same question to William, who is becoming the new top reviewer of the future

cheers
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote

Hmm. That is a bit odd. Rating for BTTF looks a bit high to me - maybe the algorithm wasn't working.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You didn't carry the pi.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Southall wrote

Hmm. That is a bit odd. Rating for BTTF looks a bit high to me - maybe the algorithm wasn't working.

lol

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    #1... The key to any review rating is to have some relationship with the person who is ranking them. While I consider "The Red Pony," "Victory at Sea," "King Kong (original)," and "The Best Years Of Our Lives" as great scores some of you would consider it a favor to listen to and spend 3 hours listening to them.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009
    Hi Southall,

As of now, how many composers have you met totally? I am just curious to know about that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Goldsmith
    Morricone
    Kamen
    R Newman
    Schifrin
    Young
    Debney
    Jones
    Preisner
    Wiseman
    Rabin
    Shearmur

Most of them only very briefly though, and several years ago (back when I was interested in schmoozing, which I no longer am - though I wouldn't say no if John Williams rang up and asked if I wanted to go to Pizza Hut with him).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2009 edited
    Most of them only very briefly though, and several years ago (back when I was interested in schmoozing, which I no longer am - though I wouldn't say no if John Williams rang up and asked if I wanted to go to Pizza Hut with him).

He, he....I can just picture yourself and Williams shootin' the breeze over a beer in an English pub.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    WHY YOU DIDN'T REVIEW ANGELS AND DEMONS???
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    My guess is because there are far worthier soundtracks to review. Angels and Demons is pants!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

Yes, he did!

http://www.movie-wave.net/capsules/?p=241

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Yes, he did!

http://www.movie-wave.net/capsules/?p=241

-Erik-

I even did it especially for Nautilus and mentioned it here at the time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think Jordi may have been a little disappointed you didn't review it as Zimmer's penultimate masterpiece, and Jordi's personal favourite since PotCLoaB *) and until Zimer's next score.

*) Pirates Of the Caribean: Legolas On A Boat
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    I think Jordi may have been a little disappointed you didn't review it as Zimmer's penultimate masterpiece, and Jordi's personal favourite since PotCLoaB *) and until Zimer's next score.

*) Pirates Of the Caribean: Legolas On A Boat

His "penultimate" masterpiece? Odd choice of word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, "penultimate". "Ultimate" until Zimmer gets his next one out, which -pretty much automatically- will make that score Jordi's uncontested favourite, relegating the former score to the penultimate masterpiece.

Ees seemple, no?
    cuba
  3. James, when will you review The Thin Red Line? I am ordering this one from you and NOT as a capsule!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website