• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Made it threw Bernstein's rejected "The Journey of Natty Gann". As suspected, my opinion on the score hasn't changed. It's just average, not particularly memorable, and one of the rare cases where replacing a score was a good idea, 'cause what Horner did was vastly superior.

Moved on to "The Scarlet Letter" by him as well. In track 24 now.

The linear notes describe it as "top tier" Bernstein material, and one of hte best scores ever written. While it's certainly a good score, it's not "top tier" Bernstein, and it's by no means able to hold it's own among film music's greatest. In fact, half the score is basically "Gangs of New York 2" (both these Bernstein scores share that much, including a practically note-for-note theme rip).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009
    LSH wrote

NP: The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

cool

Yeah.
    Boi.

One of my all time favourites! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2009 edited
    GREAME REVELL - red planet (promo score)

Superb modern score influenced by the best of new age, modern minimalism and experimental film music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I love the regular album so I guess this is worth checking out, yeah?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, indeed; but beware that it contains some quirky score tracks too, it doesn't have the natural flow of the regular album.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

Superb modern score influenced by the best of new age, modern minimalism and experimental film music.

Promo?¿???? where??????????
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    It's good but it's like Debney's LAIR. Redux.

I don't agree. LAIR is a temp track journey through other people's work. Quite a bit of SOUL comes from the same sound world as LOTR, but from the 'Prelude' track onwards, there's more classical form on show, and more unusual texture. Annoying recording & overlong album aside, it stands on its own.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009
    NP: The Spitfire Grill - James Horner

Gorgeous.

cool
  3. One of my favorite Horner scores.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009 edited
    He can score any kind of film brilliantly but I just adore his work on these small, intimate dramas. He's done quite a few of them. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I too love his intimate scores (and pretty much every other type of score he's done), but I do like it when he's asked to score an action movie. His action writing is just out of this world. I hope Avatar provides plenty of opportunity for some furious Horner action. (There's a sexual innuendo in there somwhere.)
  4. Yes there is

Yes, I've missed some snare rips actually biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    LSH wrote
    NP: A Tale Of God's Will - Terence Blanchard Quintet

Technically a score, since portions of it were written for Spike Lee's HBO documentary, this really is one of my favourite instrumental albums of the last couple of years. There is so much passion and emotion in the performance of all the tracks but my favourite is Ashé - composed by pianist Aaron Parks. Blanchard's trumpet towards the end is goosebump inducing. A gorgeous, heartfelt album all round though - I can't recommend it enough.

cool

OK I'm convinced now. Demetris was really taken by this one too. I'll look for it.

NP. The Journey of Natty Gann
    Wow. it's full of Hornerisms and I love it. Lots of stuff that comes back in other scores after. The Forest has inspired him for The Spitfire Grill. I'm really glad too finally have this one. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Tintin wrote
    LSH wrote

Technically a score, since portions of it were written for Spike Lee's HBO documentary, this really is one of my favourite instrumental albums of the last couple of years. There is so much passion and emotion in the performance of all the tracks but my favourite is Ashé - composed by pianist Aaron Parks. Blanchard's trumpet towards the end is goosebump inducing. A gorgeous, heartfelt album all round though - I can't recommend it enough.

cool

OK I'm convinced now. Demetris was really taken by this one too. I'll look for it.

Demetris and I appear to be the only ones who have been discussing this one but yeah, do check it out. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium - Alexandre Desplat & Aaron Zigman

A truly magical score! cheesy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Promo?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'Antarctica' - Ralph Vaughan Wiliams

Awesome!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'Antarctica' - Ralph Vaughan Wiliams

Awesome!

Amen! Both symphony and score versions are freaking brilliant!!! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Amen indeed pal! beer

And just in case anyone was slightly confused I purposely put it in this thread.
  5. LSH wrote
    Tintin wrote
    LSH wrote

cool

Demetris and I appear to be the only ones who have been discussing this one but yeah, do check it out. smile

You're not the only ones. I'm big on it too! punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. NP: Torchwood: Children of Earth - Ben Foster

This carries on from the excellent first Torchwood score. Since hearing this score in the show all last week I've been particularly eager to hear Foster's rhythmic tension-building cues - cues like "What's Occurring?" and "Diplomatic Cars" - and I'm not disappointed. There are definite leanings to John Powell in these tracks.

Hopefully the listen as a whole will sustain over 77+ minutes.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: A League Of Their Own (2 official tracks) - Hans Zimmer

Even though the complete was great, these two suite are still great to listen. Life Goes On is so touching, it's one of my favorite Zimmer themes. The Final Game is full of energy and fun, and the moment when swingin' orchestra exploding makes me grin. biggrin

Btw I'd remove Wedding March part if I were an editor... it's nice in that particular scene but not necessary for the suite on the official album.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Torchwood: Children of Earth - Ben Foster

This carries on from the excellent first Torchwood score.

Hmmm, maybe this one would work better after having seen the show?
    I have the first CD, but after the absolutely gobsmackingly great Doctor Who scores, this one felt a bit of a letdown.

It's OK. It's certainly not bad! And I can hear what you mean by influences of Powell, but I just don't find Foster's ideas as creative or diverse as Gold's (in collaboration).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. I agree that they're not as creative nor as diverse as Murray Gold's scores for Doctor Who. But I do think that they sound more "adult" than Gold's music.

Maybe I'm being tainted in my thinking having seen who Torchwood is aimed at, but I like how there's a hint of Doctor Who in the Torchwood scores but at the same time they are separate.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, I can hear that DEFINITELY there as well, though whether that's deliberate, or simply because Foster and Gold have worked so close together on the Doctor Who series, I wouldn't dare to venture a guess.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Martijn wrote
    ...I wouldn't dare to venture a guess.

Go on, have a guess! wink

I've always thought that the similarities are deliberate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I don't know.
    I honestly don't.

I don't think so, especially as they seem to have gone through such lengths to avoid any direct reference to the Doctor in the dialogue, the script and all the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: March Of The Penguins - Alex Wurman

Simple but effective score with a cute main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman

I haven't played this lately, because I wanted to hear this amazing score when I have enough time to sit down and listen. Though at this moment I'm not so concentrated as I wanted (I'm eating japanese sweets tongue ), anyway it doesn't fail to impress me. From darker quiet moments to the emotional climax and beautiful ending, everything is perfect!

I also enjoy The Marriage Of Figaro on this album. Great scene...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  9. I need to see the film again smile