• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Puts a smile on the face now and then!

Did you see the film?

No. I feel it's not a funny film then.

Um.
    No.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2009
    Oh, ok.

But it still sounds funny. Right?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, that's why i find the score "too much" for me. smile I listened to it twice from what i remember; i have faint memories of the 2nd time being forced, me strapped and stuff.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregt wrote
    Oh, ok.

But it still sounds funny. Right?

Funny.
    Funny.

Hm.
    Not how I would put it.

Odd, certainly.
    Strange, even.
    At times slightly unsettling.

Funny? No. Not so much.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I may have to check myself with a doctor tomorrow.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm heading to the Toronto Symphony tonight for Pops at the Movies featuring conductor Erich Kunzel. So, all day today I've been spinning all my Kunzel albums on shuffle!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Envy Martijn iz fild with envy. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    (...but still wishes you a marvellous time, and expects a full report once safely returned!
    Will Mister Moo accompany you?)
  1. Steven wrote
    Star Trek Michael Giacchino

Oddly enough, I think the fact that it's a Star Trek score works both for and against it. Against it because Trek fans such as myself tend to have a very specific sound they like to hear in a Trek score (which this didn't achieve); for it because otherwise I might not have given it as much attention as I have, of which I'm glad I did.

But I've had such an odd yet ultimately positive experience with this one. I was a little disappointed when I first heard it, the theme felt too weak, then I was even more disappointed when I heard it in the [highly overrated but enjoyable] movie. Yet I kept returning to it. And returning to it. And returning to it - and now it's probably my favourite score of 2009 thus far!? That damn theme/motif/notes-that-come-together-to-represent-something-somewhere-from-the-2009-re-envisioning-of-Star Trek is SO catchy!

I tried to listening to it yesterday in the office when everyone was out, and I felt a great temptation two tracks after 'Enterprising Young Men' to skip forward to the end credits. I decided to tune into Parliamentary Question Time instead, which has been unusually interesting this week.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Bregt wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Puts a smile on the face now and then!

Did you see the film?

No. I feel it's not a funny film then.

I wouldn't say that. It felt like it had a bit of both - genuine chills and humour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    I felt a great temptation two tracks after 'Enterprising Young Men' to skip forward to the end credits. I decided to tune into Parliamentary Question Time instead, which has been unusually interesting this week.

Your gift for non-sequitur remains unchallenged, oh Master of the Surreal. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm heading to the Toronto Symphony tonight for Pops at the Movies featuring conductor Erich Kunzel. So, all day today I've been spinning all my Kunzel albums on shuffle!

-Erik-

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Wanted - Danny Elfman

Really exciting, fast-paced action score with some quite powerful thematic material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote

Really exciting, fast-paced action score with some quite powerful thematic material.

Indeed. Have you heard TERMINATOR: SALVATION yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Indeed. Have you heard TERMINATOR: SALVATION yet?

Yup! I'm liking it a lot, much better than Beltrami's score to the third one! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Ghost And The Darkness - Jerry Goldsmith

"Almost" first listen (means I've already heard it several times at SST). Great main theme cool

Perhaps my favorite score of all time. At least one of them. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Lethal Weapon 3

Lethal Weapon 4

The master Kamen
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    The Horse Whisperer - Thomas Newman

Quite an eclectic album. Sweeping Americana, some country with loud fiddles, lush romantic cues, and strange meditative music can all be found on the CD. I just wish Mr. Newman quit making all those very short tracks - they really don't help in making his albums a good listening experience...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Caprica - Bear McCreary

Quite a different beast to his Battlestar scores.
    Sometimes I feel McCreary is channeling Goldsmith or Herrmann in places. No bad thing there!
    A very mature and effective score indeed! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I decided to tune into Parliamentary Question Time instead, which has been unusually interesting this week.

So much fuss over a ute?

Aliens - James Horner

Since I cut out a load of tracks from the deluxe edition, to turn it back into the original album, this has been an absolute revelation for me. What seemed like a terribly overrated, unfocused album now verges on masterpiece. (Though unusually derivative throughout, even by Horner standards.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Last Confederate - Atli Orvarsson

First listen. A surprisingly good score! There are quite some electronics but most of it is orchestral, with some very good themes and action music. The woodwinds, high strings and solo trumpet are especially very nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Last Confederate - Atli Orvarsson

First listen. A surprisingly good score! There are quite some electronics but most of it is orchestral, with some very good themes and action music. The woodwinds, high strings and solo trumpet are especially very nice.

Nice to hear; was looking forward to that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm glad it got released! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Any similarities to Babylon a.d.'s strong parts? Or vantage point?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2009 edited
    Haven't listened to them. But it sounds a little similar to Rabin's Great Raid in some places. Hints of Badelt's Rescue Dawn in a few places too. I like what I'm hearing a lot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service John Barry

Now this is the kind of Barry I like. Energetic and youthful!
  3. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I decided to tune into Parliamentary Question Time instead, which has been unusually interesting this week.

So much fuss over a ute?

Fascinating point of focus for the seat of national decision-making!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

So much fuss over a ute?

Aliens - James Horner

Since I cut out a load of tracks from the deluxe edition, to turn it back into the original album, this has been an absolute revelation for me.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo! IMHO, the deluxe edition was a vast improvement over the original release showcasing just how absolutely brilliant the Aliens score actually is. Are you telling me that you cut out the "Facehuggers" cue?!?!?!?

face-palm-mt

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Trinity And Beyond - William Stromberg

Big, big, BIG orchestration! It's very clear Stromberg has earned his laurels in the world of his studies of the Golden Age of film music: this is a very old-fashioned approach to scoring (and I mean that in the best possible way), with a lot of classical aspects.
    Very powerful. A score that is in no way easily dismissable!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Trinity And Beyond - William Stromberg

Big, big, BIG orchestration! It's very clear Stromberg has earned his laurels in the world of his studies of the Golden Age of film music: this is a very old-fashioned approach to scoring (and I mean that in the best possible way), with a lot of classical aspects.
    Very powerful. A score that is in no way easily dismissable!

One of the very best!

punk

-Erik-