• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008
    Southall wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    I saw Penelope a few days ago. It is... an OK film, nothing special, and definitely not as funny as my mom made it up to be. smile

One of the key lessons to learn in life is that your mother knows absolutely nothing about what films you might like.

That's probably very true. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    <sigh>

It's a joke William. wink

I figured it might be, but you never know... biggrin wink

For fear of treading on mountain-out-of-a-mole-hill territory, what else could it be? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    <sigh>

It's a joke William. wink

I figured it might be, but you never know... biggrin wink

For fear of treading on mountain-out-of-a-mole-hill territory, what else could it be? confused

Good point. Hmmm... (For goodness' sake, Steven, stop embarrassing me! rolleyes biggrin)
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2008 edited
    Sleepy Hollow, good movie. smile

I think if I had to choose, this would be my #1 best photographed movie of all time, but A Clockwork Orange and The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and some others are almost just as good.
  1. Saw "The Assassination ..." a few days ago and thought it was a thoroughly interesting movie, especially because of the great script and conversations, and very efficient direction. I had expected to see more action though, more brutality because of the nature of these people, but all in all it was handled very well by the actors and director, and the music created a nice and dramatic atmosphere. ***

Yesterday I re-watched "Alien vs. Predator", just a guilty pleasure I admit, because I love the two titular monsters a lot. I remember seeing it in the theatre and being a little disappointed because I was expecting the awesomness of Aliens meets Predator, but that was just too far fetched. Nowadays I don't feel disappointed, because it's exciting in places, disjointed in others, but overall a cool experience. But the characters are definitely the weak point, as caring for them is a little hard. But Sanaa Lathan's character gets some nice moments of on screen action that echo the heroics of one Lt. Ripley. **½

Today I saw "American Beauty" again for the 6th time, and again what an experience, thought-provoking at most times, hilarious at others, downright dramatic in the end. Spacey and Benning are totally brilliant, and the whole thing glues the viewer to the screen. The musical touches do give it a very dramatic impact and work very well. Hollywood should really make more character driven drama's such as this one, especially with a script as intelligently written as this one. ***½
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. DreamTheater wrote
    Saw "The Assassination ..." a few days ago and thought it was a thoroughly interesting movie, especially because of the great script and conversations, and very efficient direction. I had expected to see more action though, more brutality because of the nature of these people, but all in all it was handled very well by the actors and director, and the music created a nice and dramatic atmosphere. ***

It's a really fine film. It has improved with every viewing, except for the last half hour, which already felt perfect to me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Saw "The Assassination ..." a few days ago and thought it was a thoroughly interesting movie, especially because of the great script and conversations, and very efficient direction. I had expected to see more action though, more brutality because of the nature of these people, but all in all it was handled very well by the actors and director, and the music created a nice and dramatic atmosphere. ***

It's a really fine film. It has improved with every viewing, except for the last half hour, which already felt perfect to me.

I think I'll hire this one tonight.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Make sure you're not sleepy. It needs a wakeful viewer. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Make sure you're not sleepy. It needs a wakeful viewer. wink

I think I spoke too soon, I'll wait until this migraine is gone before watching it.

From reviews I read it sounds like my kind of film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Make sure you're not sleepy. It needs a wakeful viewer. wink

I think I spoke too soon, I'll wait until this migraine is gone before watching it.

From reviews I read it sounds like my kind of film.

Yes your enjoyment comes from being able to follow the intricacies of the plot and how the character relationships work. I thought it's told very well and I'm not even the most attentive viewer. I get distracted a lot and mostly I have to see complex films multiple times, but in the case of Jesse James I was totally in it, but that doesn't mean I won't see it again, I'm sure there are things I've missed, also to enjoy the beauty of the cinematography.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    The Dark knight is reaching 324 milliond dollars....he broke a lot of records....

and i didn't see any review of the film here!! rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2008 edited
    Nautilus wrote
    The Dark knight is reaching 324 milliond dollars....he broke a lot of records....

I'm surprised with this too. Quite frankly, I don't know what more to say...

EPIC!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    TOY STORY 2

I forgot how good this was. I first saw this in a packed theater in London, where on one of those rare occasions you could feel the excitement in the room. Awesome.

Screw The Incredibles - I do now believe this is the top Pixar movie. There's loads of tiny references to the first movie and other Pixar works in this that I just didn't pick up on when I was young.

Everything in the movie just looked better this time around too. Whether it's because I'm watching it on a nice HD screen I don't know, but unlike Toy Story 1 and A Bug's Life, no computer graphics really stood out and made me think "boy, they can do way better than that now".

One tiny complaint about the DVD though - why have they cut the outtakes from the end credits and put them on the extras disc?! Gaah!

Surprisingly good score too - much better than the first movies imo. I'm off to Amazon to buy a copy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Weakest Pixar film.
  5. Nautilus wrote

Go back a few pages. I reviewed it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Go back a few pages. I reviewed it.

HEAR THAT JORDI? HE REVIEWED IT!

Pay attention rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    TOY STORY 2

I forgot how good this was. I first saw this in a packed theater in London, where on one of those rare occasions you could feel the excitement in the room. Awesome.

Screw The Incredibles - I do now believe this is the top Pixar movie. There's loads of tiny references to the first movie and other Pixar works in this that I just didn't pick up on when I was young.

Everything in the movie just looked better this time around too. Whether it's because I'm watching it on a nice HD screen I don't know, but unlike Toy Story 1 and A Bug's Life, no computer graphics really stood out and made me think "boy, they can do way better than that now".

One tiny complaint about the DVD though - why have they cut the outtakes from the end credits and put them on the extras disc?! Gaah!

Surprisingly good score too - much better than the first movies imo. I'm off to Amazon to buy a copy!

It's a GREAT movie! I can remember how much I enjoyed watching it during a school trip to the theatre with friends back in 2000, when I was in sixth grade! biggrin

Great score by Newman ("Zurg's Planet" is amazing!!!) and the video game is awesome too IMO.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DemonStar wrote
    and the video game is awesome too IMO.

Oh don't get me started on the video game! I LOVED it! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2008
    X-files I want to belive.

I can't "belive" after 10 years someone can give the green light a such generic, uninspired script.

Seriously, MUlder and Scully in the big screen are Mulder and Scully in the big screen.

But this is not a X-file, and when the climax is a dog attacking Mulder something is wrong with a movie.....

The score is quite good. Specially "Dana's theme"
  6. The Prince of Egypt

Truly wonderful movie where every separate element of the production creates a combination of true epic animated delight. Love the vocal work by such actors as Val Kilmer, Patrick Stewart, Sandra Bullock, love the subtle hand drawn animation which shows the most expressive faces I've ever seen in a hand animated feature. Even the CGI created scenes are unbelievably well done. And the music, aaah the music, the score and songs are sublime. It's the emotional backbone of the story which already is something of a classic. I cannot suppress my sense of awe and wonder while watching this piece of art. lick

4 STARS

Constantine

Now this one stands on the other side of the the spectrum of brilliance: it's total bollocks. Talk about being thrown from heaven into hell... and it stinks! If that's the devil I'm supposed to be scared about, I could as well book my ticket in hell, looks like a fun place. Damn I cannot get to say anything remotely interesting about this total waste of celluloid. crazy

1 PILE OF CRAP
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008 edited
    WALL•E

Slightly disappointed with the film as a whole - I just didn't buy into either of the robot characters.

I did think that the first half-hour looked spectacular and Thomas Newman's score really worked very well in this dialogue-free part.

3 out of 5

I bought The Orphanage on DVD yesterday and am hoping for a better experience with this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I just didn't buy into either of the robot characters.

Obviously these weren't the droids you were looking for.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

No, these weren't the droids I was looking for... dizzy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2008
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

rolleyes LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008
    Nautilus wrote

I can't "belive" after 10 years someone can give the green light a such generic, uninspired script

Agree, a couple of rewritings should have been imperative.

Nautilus wrote
    Seriously, MUlder and Scully in the big screen are Mulder and Scully in the big screen.

Agree again. Mulder and Scully in a big screen? My 7,20€ were well invested.

Nautilus wrote
    But this is not a X-file, and when the climax is a dog attacking Mulder something is wrong with a movie......

biggrin
    But at least it has a climax; not all the films have one :cough Hancock cough:

Nautilus wrote

Yep, the score is quite good, specially the more intimate and dramatic parts.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I can't "belive" after 10 years someone can give the green light a such generic, uninspired script

Agree, a couple of rewritings should have been imperative.

Nautilus wrote

Agree again. Mulder and Scully in a big screen? My 7,20€ were well invested.

Nautilus wrote
    But this is not a X-file, and when the climax is a dog attacking Mulder something is wrong with a movie......

biggrin
    But at least it has a climax; not all the films have one :cough Hancock cough:

Nautilus wrote

Yep, the score is quite good, specially the more intimate and dramatic parts.

Jordi,

There are people in Hollywood who keep giving the greenlights to stuff like HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3 and Bachelor Party 2: The Last Temptation; they would greenlight you farting over dolby surround for 2 hours if you actually convinced their buttheads it would make money.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008 edited
    The X-files Fight the future.

Wow...I was dissapointed with this movie when it was realeased. And I thought most of the people was too ( rotten tomatoes gave 42 fresh and 24 rotten....I didn't know that!!! )

But I rewatched it, and it is a really good movie, and a great way to put Mulder and Scully in the big screen.

The producion is great (cinamtography , F/X..), the script mixes all the elements of the show but at the same time you can enjoy it if you are not a X-files viewer.

Action, suspens, mysteri, paranoid, a globlal scope, a little romcance a little gore....a very well balanced mix!

Bowman is an unpersonal director, but at least he created a couple of good climax (the prehistory, the FBI building, the Corn Flakes base, The Antartida base...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is ironic is, X-files was the first show with this cinematogrhapic production values, and it was one of my obsessions from my teenager days...but I never have finished the last seasons!

time to join Mulder and Scully to the sixth to the ninth season! beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008 edited
    LET HIM HAVE IT

Long time since I've seen this fine but ultimately depressing film based on a true British crime case about a murdered policeman during a botched robbery. Paul Reynolds plays brilliantly the deranged teenager Chris Craig who shoots the policeman dead with Christopher Eccleston ( briefly Doctor Who ) playing the simple, low IQ'd Derek Bentley who ultimately goes to the gallows for telling Craig to "let him have it Chris" ( the policeman tries to coax the gun away from Chris Craig ). Craig was too young to be hanged so it was Bentley who faced the hangman when the Jury decided that "let him have it Chris" meant 'shoot him' not 'give him the weapon'.

A very good cast, particularly Tom Courtney who gives a moving portrayal of Bentley's dad and a very good score from Michael Kamen too.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bachelor Party 2: The Last Temptation

What a title!!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    LET HIM HAVE IT

Damn. I wanna see this now. sad
    I'm a sucker for depressing films...especially when they're really good (and I like Eccleston a lot as an actor).

RV: Joyeux Noel
    The (heavily romanticized) true incident of a comradely Christmas celebration in the trenches during WWI. Slightly sanitized as many of the participants on the French and German side were executed by their respective High Commands (...fucking wankers. For a vastly believable portrayal of millitary command in WWI, watch Blackadder Goes Forth. The most stunnnig bit of military realism ever filmed), but very well acted, beautifully photographed and ultimately very moving.

Rombi's music is a wonderful stand-out.

Very much recommended.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn