• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011 edited
    Apparently, Spotify is now cutting down their free service:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110414/wr_nm/us_spotify

Up untill now, you could stream all the music for free, only interupted by the occasional commercial. But now, they're gonna limit the number of times you can play a track and, in fact, the amount of free music to - on average - 20 minutes pr. day.

That sucks! Spotify is by far the most common way younger people in Norway play their music. I've been using it a lot myself, especially when I want to sample something I might like. Or as a "jukebox" during parties.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. It will be available to the same level you have now - but you'll have to pay for it.

Their Chief Content Officer (?!) says that "Our chief priority is to keep the free service, which is what has made Spotify so popular...Everything we do is designed to ensure our users continue to have access to an amazing free experience."

So, in order to keep the "free" experience they are going to have to limit how much is actually free?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    True, if you pay abut 50 NOK a month ($9) or 100 ($18) if you also want cell phone compatbility, you'll get your Spotify even withOUT the advertisements. But that's never been what drew people to Spotify in the first place. It was the free access to millions of albums, with only the advertisements as "payment".

But still, I'm curious about how many are going to pay for the continued service or if they're just going to look around for other streaming services instead. I know I will. To me, it's just an extra service that I use for certain purposes. I mostly listen to my own collection on CD or iTunes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
  2. If I understand right there has always been an opportunity to pay for the service before (and that removed the ads - which was the only difference between the two before?) Now it seems that they are hoping that the service is so indispensable that by limiting the levels of free music to restrict your enjoyment you are going to be blackmailed into paying for the same level of useage as you currently get free (albeit with some additional ads).

I'm not sure this kind of service is financially feasible from a business perspective. It's obvious that having the inclusion of ads for free listeners and a proportion who pay a subscription isn't working. It would be interesting to know what sort of percentage they are expecting to switch to paying, what percentage of people they need to switch for it to be financially viable and how many people actually make the switch.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2011
    I don't think this is a popular service in the US
    listen to more classical music!
  3. sdtom wrote
    I don't think this is a popular service in the US

I'm not sure that it has established at all in the US as Spotify have not been able to sign agreements with a couple of the big music labels so that their music can be used. So, in the US, this service (if available) is severely limited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So you pay to get streaming lossless audio?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    You don't have the ability to save it locally though, do you?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011 edited
    No, unfortunately. Not with any legal method that I know, anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012
    Does anyone know how quick and how many new scores of our favourite labels are on Spotify these days? I know MSM is on there, and probably all the big ones too (Sony, Warner, Decca, ...), but what about Varese, Milan Records, ...?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    They're all on there. I think the albums get out pretty quickly. Sometimes, however, the album won't be out on Spotify at all. Guess it has to do with rights issues.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm thinking about using it, and paying the monthly subscription. A friend had it and I loved the way the app worked as well. Everything is neatly synchronized without me ever having to worry about anything;
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I can't afford a subscription right now, but I would if I could.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Its only 10EUR a month here. How much in Norway?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Its only 10EUR a month here. How much in Norway?

14 Euro pr. month for Spotify Premium.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2012
    I am a happy spotify unlimited user. I use it from time to time. It has a lot of scores but not all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2012
    Using the free version since a week now and I love it! Will upgrade soon. It's great to find so many film music there, and be able to use it at any moment.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2012
    Can we all be friends? ;-)

I am Caliburn77 on there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2012
    No Lala Land or Intrada on Spotify. Varèse is also not always up to date. sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Local storage for teh win!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    I don't get any Varese recordings on Spotify...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Really? I get LOTS of Varese releases on Spotify. Maybe it's a regional thing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2012
    Probably. There's lots of stuff Europe gets that the US doesn't, especially with classical music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014
    Funny how old this topic is... I have spotify now. Just a question... How does this work? How do artists get paid?? I cannot help but feel guilty when I listen to music on spotify. It feels weird not paying for it, it seems illegal or somehting...
    dizzy
  4. As far as I know they are getting paied through Ascap or Gema or some other agency. YouTube handles it the same way. It's like listening to music on the radio.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014 edited
    I'm not totally sure, but I think the artists get paid a particular 'streaming revenue' from Spotify and then through a country's composer organization. Spotify, on their end, is paid by the sponsors (in the commercials of the free edition) and the subscribers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Phew, that's a relief. And a brilliant concept of course.
    Still confused though, the only commercials I get are... for Spotify.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I pay a monthly fee.

I know that some artists removed their music from Spotify because they get very little for it. I reckon there are still problems with the model but I feel it's definitely the way to go. I use it almost every day and more and more music can be found it, even Varèse albums. Limited releases or labels like Lalaland or Intrada are not on there yet so there's still a gap, and I guess there'll be one for a long time.

MovieScore Media has been there for a long time, which is great! Perhaps Mikael can jump in here to explain how it works.
    Kazoo