• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I also went premium recently.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014
    The only thing I'd *really* enjoy Spotify for is to be able to use the recommendation service, to discover new songs and artists. I don't have much exposure to new music, so that would be great.

That said, most of my listening is on the road.
    And -aside from the fact that my lovely little Nokia E71 isn't a great multimedia machine- I just don't want to be using mobile internet all the time: it's still quite expensive! And of course it'd be useless on foreign travels.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Don't artists only get paid a pittance for their music on things like Spotify?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014
    Depends on how big an artist you are.
    It doesn't seem like an unreasonable model to me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014
    And we play it over and over again instead of buying the track for only 0,99. I'm really interested in how just this Spotify thing is for artists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2016
    I'm still a very active Spotify user. At work, on my phone, in the car (with Bluetooth), ... They just sent a list of what I listened to most. Cool stats!

- 47,126 minutes (and counting). That's almost 33 full days!
    - 2021 artists
    - 6146 unique numbers (that is a lot of repeat!)

Top artists
    - Thomas Newman
    - Hans Zimmer
    - M83
    - Daniel Pemberton
    - Ibraham Maalouf

And I listen most to music on Fridays.

Anyone else with statistics? Check your mail.

They also generated a playlist with my most played tracks, which includes Spaces (Nils Frahm), The Swimmer (Phil France), Fiat Lux (Burwell), Winds of Winter (Djawadi), Do It-Try It (M83), Musique a Grande Vitesse (Nyman), ...
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cool!

I only use Spotify for sampling things I do not (yet) own or am otherwise curious about. It's a pain in the ass with all the commercials, and no, I don't want to pay for a premium account. I have too much music; and get too much music in digital form otherwise, so it wouldn't be worth it.

But it's great for parties! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Nope.
    I want it all.
    On my own hard drives.
  3. I listen to Spotify almost daily. I almost always listen to something multiple times before I buy it, and Spotify lets me do that. Money is too tight for me to spend it on music I'm not sure I will like. Having a premium account makes it easy to listen to new music while riding to the bus to and from work.

I haven't received any email with stats, though I would be fascinated to see something like that.
  4. Martijn wrote
    Nope.
    I want it all.
    On my own hard drives.

Me too. Even if it's not physical, I still demand ownership of the files, to put on backups of backups of backups etc. and fling to the far corners of the globe. My collection will never die!
  5. Martijn wrote
    Nope.
    I want it all.
    On my own hard drives.

Me too. I do have a Premium Spotify account for when want to listen to my own music on my smartphone and I don't have easy access to my PC. And I would use Spotify to sample an album to a greater extent than I can with Amazon audio clips.

One thing would make me use Spotify more would be if their tags were accurate and consistent with my own database. The number of times a Spotify album has "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" included in the album title or the Artist tags are inaccurate just annoys the hell out of me.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. My favourite is crediting score albums to conductors and The Last Samurai being, seemingly, the composer of The Last Samurai!

At least after like a half-year long complaint they corrected Thin Red Line and tagged Hans in it.
  7. That's a job I wouldn't mind doing - making sure that their tags are consistent and correct.
  8. I don't mind the conductor being tagged (in fact, doesn't the conductor actually get royalties anyway?), but film music is composer's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016
    Bregt wrote
    Top artists
    - Thomas Newman
    - Hans Zimmer
    - M83
    - Daniel Pemberton
    - Ibraham Maalouf

I've never heard of Ibraham Maalouf, Bregt! I like everyone else you like so I looked him up. Fascinating! What are your recommendations for his top tracks/a good starting point?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Just find his page on Spotify and play his top tracks, they're all there. True Sorry, Maeve in Wonderland, Doubts 2, those are defenitely my favourites. Great music for an evening. I'd love to see him live once. He also wrote some scores but that is not as good as his other work outside film.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    One thing would make me use Spotify more would be if their tags were accurate and consistent with my own database. The number of times a Spotify album has "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" included in the album title or the Artist tags are inaccurate just annoys the hell out of me.

True, but I don't happen to see "Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" that often?

I love the playlists and recommendations features in Spotify, a bit what Last.fm did in the past. However, it is still sort of a bubble, with none of La La Lands or other smaller film music labels titles in the catalogue for example. I still can't decide if that is the fault of Spotify or La La Land for example. MovieScoreMedia is on there though.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016 edited
    Bregt wrote
    I love the playlists and recommendations features in Spotify, a bit what Last.fm did in the past. However, it is still sort of a bubble, with none of La La Lands or other smaller film music labels titles in the catalogue for example. I still can't decide if that is the fault of Spotify or La La Land for example. MovieScoreMedia is on there though.

Oh, it's not Spotify. LaLaLand scores are on none of these streaming services (for example they're not on Apple Music either). I doubt LaLaLand owns the rights to offer "their" music on streaming services. They're not a record label in the sense Watertower Music owns the Warner Bros scores, Walt Disney Records owns their music and other labels have their artists under contracts. These specialty labels simply have the rights to produce their CD's (often at an agreed number of pressings and the fees that go with that). Also, they are very much in the physical CD business and offering their music up for streaming would mean a significant damage to their CD sales.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Plus, they're American and MovieScoreMedia is Swedish, like Spotify. It's my impression that Americans still haven't properly embraced Spotify in a significant way.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Sometimes titles from these 'speciality' labels does crop up in digital form but via a different label and at a time much later after the CD release. And sometimes these labels releasing the digital versions can cause the FSM messageboard to implode when mentioned.

I am not sure whether these digital releases are offered on streaming services.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    I still have an "unlimited" account. 5 bucks a month and no ads :-) I use it for testing and sometimes a full album. For all the rest: see the signature :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2016
    Has anyone noticed that the progress bar in Spotify (on PC at least) is a light saber, when playing the Rogue One soundtrack? Brilliant! smile
  10. Same with The Force Awakens.
  11. I got my year-end statistics from Spotify. Apparently I spent almost 13,000 minutes of my life listening to music on Spotify last year. I listened to 258 different artists and over 2,200 unique tracks.

My three most-played tracks were "Stronger Together" from GAMBA, "I Hope You Find Peace," from EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE, and "Rey's Theme," from THE FORCE AWAKENS.

The composer I listened to most was James Horner.

That is all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2017
    Cool! I'll have a listen to those first two tracks, never heard them. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2017 edited
    EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE is an absolutely stunning score! One of my favourites that year.

Since I'm not a Premium Spotify user, and hardly ever use it (except for the occasional sampling and party), I don't think I'll find much in terms of statistics. But I wonder if I can find something similar on my iTunes?
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Bregt wrote
    Cool! I'll have a listen to those first two tracks, never heard them. smile

Both of those albums are good. GAMBA has some really fun music, though I enjoy the first half of the album more than the second half. Also make sure to check out the last couple minutes of the cue "Victory" from GAMBA. That is some of the most triumphant music I've heard in years!

I'm with Thor on EVERYBODY'S GONE TO THE RAPTURE. It's just lovely music. Top ten from 2015 for me. It's a grower, too. I wasn't quite ready for just how overtly religious much of the music would sound, but it really grew on me. I like that score better every time I listen to it. Other favorite tracks of mine from that score are "Aurora" and "The Pattern Calls Out." Beautiful stuff.

Thor wrote
    I wonder if I can find something similar on my iTunes?

The only statistics I know how to get from itunes is a play count. James has copy-pasted his itunes into a spreadsheet and done some manipulating that way, but I couldn't ever figure out how to do that. Interestingly my most played film music cue on itunes is four-way tie between "The Wedding" from LEGENDS OF THE FALL, the "Memories of Me" suite from the GREAT COMPOSERS: GEORGES DELERUE compilation, "Thru the Planet" from LOST IN SPACE, and "Meeting Jenny" from COUSIN BETTE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2017 edited
    I changed to 'song view' in iTunes, then sorted by 'play count', which offered some strange results in the first few spots (play count number last):

Freudiana / The Alan Parsons Project /Freudiana / 24
    Brother Up In Heaven / The Alan Parsons Project / On Air /24
    Dartmoor, 1912 / John Williams / War Horse / 24
    The Auction / John Williams / War Horse / 24
    Give Life Back to Music / Daft Punk / Random Access Memories / 23
    Bringing Joey Home, And Bonding / John Williams / War Horse / 23
    Learning The Call / John Williams / War Horse / 23
    Seeding, And Horse Vs. Car / John Williams / War Horse / 23
    Ruined Crop, And Going To War / John Williams /22
    Giorgio by Moroder / Daft Punk / Random Access Memories / 21
    Instant Crush (feat. Julian Casablancas) / Daft Punk / Random Access Memories / 21
    Lose Yourself to Dance (feat. Pharrell Williams) /Daft Punk / Random Access Memories / 21
    Bachelor Father/ John Williams /Rarities / 21

Rather bizarre, when I think of all the soundtracks and albums and songs I've played a hundred more times than any of these (but perhaps makes sense when I consider that I only started using iTunes as my main music player some 5-6 years ago).

I know I played RANDOM ACCESS MEMORIES a LOT when I first got it, so no surprise there. But WAR HORSE?! It's Williams' best score since 2005, but still. Haven't played that in two years, at least, so must be when I got it. And the BACHELOR FATHER theme?! WTF?

The two Alan Parsons songs are less of a surprise. "Freudiana" is one of my alltime favourite songs, and I know there was a period I tried to learn "Brother Up in Heaven" for karaoke use.

In any case, one possible way to read this is that I've played a lot of different albums over the last few years, so it's more spread across the 1500 albums I own (or 25.000 tracks), and less one particular album or song over and over again. Still, numbers in the mid 20s for one track also seems unusually low. Oh well. Statitics!
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Interesting. Yeah, I think it's been a few years since I racked upon the play counts on those four tracks that I listed. Your point about spreading your listening over many things makes a lot of sense. I listen to music all the time, but so much different stuff so frequently that I don't come back to an album or a single piece of music as often as I used to. That and itunes' play counts don't take what I listen to on Spotify or my phone or on CDs in my car into account.
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2017
    How do you guys explore new filmmusic on Spotify? There is no such thing as "soundtracks" under Genres, which annoys me, to be honest (I think it used to be there at some point?). I would love to be able to browse new soundtracks by album and date of release, but that isn't possible, is it?

Right now I need to know what I'm looking for, or what artist I want to listen to. But I'm missing out on tons of music, because I don't know what the new releases are, except the few artists that I follow.

I know you can write "genre:soundtrack" in the search field, but that doesn't give me an album or release date view, it just suggests a bunch of composers.

Feel like I'm not getting my money's worth right now sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2017
    I just follow recommendations, mostly here at MT. I'd say that nine times out of ten you'll find it on Spotify, just tap in the composers name.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt