• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited
    The composers Alexandre Desplat and Marvin Hamlisch will be the guests of honour at the 9th World Soundtrack Awards, the key event of the 36th Ghent Film Festival on Saturday 17 October in Music Centre De Bijloke in Ghent. The Brussels Philharmonic will be playing music from The Girl with the Pearl Earring, The Queen, The Painted Veil and Lust Caution among others. The American composer Marvin Hamlisch, who created unforgettable music for films such as The Way We Were and The Sting, will receive the World Soundtrack Lifetime Achievement Award.

Holy! punk

On Saturday 17 October, the Brussels Philharmonic, under the direction of Alexandre Desplat himself, will perform the music from The Girl with the Pearl Earring, The Queen, The Painted Veil and Lust Caution.

Young film music talent is also represented with the composer Marc Streitenfeld who carried off the World Soundtrack Discovery Award last year with his soundtrack for American Gangster by Ridley Scott.

More here:
    http://www.worldsoundtrackacademy.com/n … mp;lang=en
    Kazoo
  1. If history had not offered me sufficient reason to travel to Belgium so far, it just managed to checkmate me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    If history had not offered me sufficient reason to travel to Belgium so far, it just managed to checkmate me.

I had to read that a few times before I thought I was able to understand it. Still not certain about it though, but I'm sure you mean you're coming. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    Not a suprising choice but very pleasant news! I would like to hear some stuff from Largo Winch or Hostage live too. A little more bim bam smash music always makes the evening more interesting for me. I must soon listen to The Painted Veil and Lust Caution and google Marvin Hamlish. The only thing that comes to mind is a rather dated score for The Spy Who Loved Me, except for the title song.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Hamlisch has never been a favorite of mine. I'm a fan of Desplat of course.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthortimme
    Great line up but I'm missing some music of Birth and The Golden Compass
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    And also some of his older ones please! Or Syriana. smile
    Kazoo
  2. Bregt wrote
    And also some of his older ones please! Or Syriana. smile

once again, this is a missed opportunity. Why not bring a few calm, dramatic scores and a few potent, orchestral scores?

No, they go for a complete dramatic line up, meaning I'll have to pay 42 euros to sleep somewhere I can sleep quitly as well tongue wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Well, you don't have to go of course. I'd solely be going or Desplat and the fine moments before the concert and during the breaks.
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    Well, you don't have to go of course. I'd solely be going or Desplat and the fine moments before the concert and during the breaks.

I'm going of course, because it is always fun to meet these guys
    but I think diverse material is always better than the same dramatic stuff
  4. SYRIANA and BIRTH might be harder to do live, due to the amount of electronic content.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    SYRIANA and BIRTH might be harder to do live, due to the amount of electronic content.

I smell an orchestral re-arrangement / adaptation for live performance, in which case the pieces are in danger of loosing their character (see LOST performance in this year's Ubeda film festival for instance).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. But in this case, BIRTH and SYRIANA aren't on the list. I suspect that's the reason. The scores which lend themselves easier to live arrangements are the ones being performed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    Nice to see that.
  6. Imagine trying to do BUTTON live? That score's so delicate, it's hard to believe the performances would carry in a concert hall!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Great, great news; and I'm hoping the Desplat part won't be too short (with the overlong awards portion at the WSA - which was just too much last year. It's like it gets longer and longer! Though the absence of Pearson and, well, the 'performance' of the presenters have much to do with that...). I'm also hoping for Hostage and The Golden Compass, but that said, the selection sounds just swell!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited
    I have more information about the event!

Online tickets are not yet available because they cannot open the ticket store yet, so you've to mail to get your name on the queue list, to reserve your place already.

The whole second half of the concert is focused on Desplat, and next to the already mentioned titles, also music from Birth, The Golden Compass and Benjamin Button will be performed. The final programme will be announced later on, so changes are possible, but expansions as well (including some older works).

punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    SYRIANA and BIRTH might be harder to do live, due to the amount of electronic content.

I smell an orchestral re-arrangement / adaptation for live performance, in which case the pieces are in danger of loosing their character (see LOST performance in this year's Ubeda film festival for instance).

Nothing wrong with concert suites. On the contrary, IMO they enhance the existing material.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Would anyone come to Ghent this year?
    Kazoo
  7. If it wasn't from Australia that I'd be coming, I'd consider it. Unfortunately it's not a flight you can do and then turn around and go back two days later. It's pretty punishing, and not worth the cost. :/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited
    Yeah, for you it would be a trip I'd include in a world trip or so. What a pity, because I just was confirmed what the other concert would be, and lets say, you'd love to hear thas as well, since it's concert with a group of musicians that has worked with Desplat before! wink

But perhaps you can send me questions for an interview. smile
    Kazoo
  8. Bregt wrote
    I have more information about the event!

Online tickets are not yet available because they cannot open the ticket store yet, so you've to mail to get your name on the queue list, to reserve your place already.

The whole second half of the concert is focused on Desplat, and next to the already mentioned titles, also music from Birth, The Golden Compass and Benjamin Button will be performed. The final programme will be announced later on, so changes are possible, but expansions as well (including some older works).

punk

ah at least Golden Compass
    oef tongue

I'll be there Bregt, somebody has to harass you during the break wink
    just make sure we buy the tickets together, so that we all can sit together
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Nothing wrong with concert suites. On the contrary, IMO they enhance the existing material.

Not everyone of them though, you have to be very careful and maintain balance whilst staying close to the original character of the music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    Bregt wrote

Hmm... just maybe I could come to this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Young film music talent is also represented with the composer Marc Streitenfeld who carried off the World Soundtrack Discovery Award last year with his soundtrack for American Gangster by Ridley Scott.

Oh. On the other hand I would require a cast-iron guarantee that I wouldn't stumble upon this part of the event. Perhaps they could set up a room where you go and have someone drill holes in your head and pour boiling oil onto your brain, which would be more appealing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Oh. On the other hand I would require a cast-iron guarantee that I wouldn't stumble upon this part of the event. Perhaps they could set up a room where you go and have someone drill holes in your head and pour boiling oil onto your brain, which would be more appealing.

biggrin Knowing the "big daddy" gets you everywhere these days, mate. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote

Yeah, you better stay home.

Were his scores that bad?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    American Gangster is totally forgettable, A good year is a big snoozer but i did like Body of Lies a lot 'cause of the heavy middle eastern musical presence in there. But "representing the young talent in film music" is always far-stretched in this case i think wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, well, years ago they did Giacchino, Armstrong, Reboutsika, ... You can't always get it right.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    True.