• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    You can always put it on your 'to do' list ...
    If you wait long enough , nobody will remember this thread and you can leave it as it was ... biggrin wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  1. Eric wrote
    You can always put it on your 'to do' list ...
    If you wait long enough , nobody will remember this thread and you can leave it as it was ... biggrin wink

I don't think so, as long as I'm here, no one will ever forget ... moon
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    LOL ... Well , you can't blame me for trying ?!
  2. Try all you like, the MT-gang is not easy to forget topics such as this.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    Are we seriously eating up all this energy discussing the presence of a copy-paste tracktitles' list WHICH YOU CAN FIND ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE NET ON SITES THAT ARE SPECIFIC TO THIS SUBJECT MATTER, in a rather general film music community with reviews? Why can't we focus on the essence?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ooops...then i read the whole thread and found out about the poll that shows that the majority of mt's population is actually odd. And crazy. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ooops...then i read the whole thread and found out about the poll that shows that the majority of mt's population is actually odd. And crazy. tongue

As if you didn't knew that already ! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Are we seriously eating up all this energy discussing the presence of a copy-paste tracktitles' list WHICH YOU CAN FIND ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE NET ON SITES THAT ARE SPECIFIC TO THIS SUBJECT MATTER, in a rather general film music community with reviews? Why can't we focus on the essence?

That's the point. Why go elsewhere when you can find all the info you need HERE!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, i know; but gathering ALL THE INFO, apart from tracklistings, can be a huge work-load we cannot place upon Bregt right now; at least that's the impression i am getting, and he's already doing more than enough sacrificing free time, money, effort etc etc. Of all the other parameters you so rightfully mentioned in the previous pages, i consider tracklistings the least useful since it's the easiest to find. The people behind the music, apart the obvious (composer, orchestrator etc etc) is the hard to find info.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009 edited
    Well, then Bregt needs to look for volunteers to do the grunt work. No one is saying this has to be done now but it looks odd seeing below EVERY review Tracklist- No tracklist has been added. Why even display such info?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, that tag can easily be removed. But if there's going to be time invested for extra info in the reviews, i strongly vote for the people behind the music, everyone involved. And definitely not sound clips and tracklistings and stuff like that which you can easily find in specialized places in much greater detail. I always try and route for stuff that others can't offer instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What I'd like to see is a review page with very short reviews, two paragraphs at most. No extra information, except maybe a "how to order" link. That would be something new and something I could set away time to read. I'm thinking the following:

[what is it? paragraph that goes from here....

....to about here]

[Then a value judgement paragraph that goes from here....

.....to about here].

That would be nice. Pocket reviews with condensed value judgements!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, that tag can easily be removed. But if there's going to be time invested for extra info in the reviews, i strongly vote for the people behind the music, everyone involved. And definitely not sound clips and tracklistings and stuff like that which you can easily find in specialized places in much greater detail. I always try and route for stuff that others can't offer instead.

I think sound clips are important and an underused device in reviews. Ryan Keaveney at Cinemusic is really the only one that I know of that uses sound clips in the body of the review. I like that very much.

Again, back to the "finding stuff elsewhere" I'm all for one stop shopping! I can't tell you how much it annoys me to have to surf through 4 or 5 different web sites to find something like tracklistings when a site like MT can give you everything in one nice, neat package. Reviews, tracklist, additional info, soundclips, cover art, etc. Wouldn't it be great to be able to point people to this site as the ultimate resource for film music information.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i'd vote for this too; given the current state of things with every score available to everyone at a single click, reviews need to change asap imo; Nobody's having the time to actually sit through all that anymore, concentrated and even come back to comment afterward, especially if they're already listen to the score themselves. Let's face it.

Capsule reviews on the other hand which simply inform you on the reviewer's opinion and how the music is via 2 small paragraphs are the way, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sound clips per Bregt are out at this time. In order to accomplish this task a new server (away from Belgium would have to be found). William has already volunteered to put up the tracklist. I'm still considering personally using some short select sound clips for my Film Music: A Neglected Art Site but it would cost me $50.00 per year to do so. Like Erik I think it is an excellent idea.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Soundclips are indeed cool, and like I mentioned, a link or youtube or any other external music device/service that can be added on MT, should be considered. As for clips hosting myself, that is now out of the question, unless someone hosts clips that is hosted in a more clip friendly country, so that I can link to (if that is still legal of course).

I noticed www.grooveshark.com has a widget to can be included on other websites, as has Youtube obviously. I'm almost ready with the 'new' front page, and will then 'redesign' the review page to address the above.

Thor, that is a point Alan has touched upon before (he's on holiday now right?) and he would review like that for MT once.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I think sound clips are important and an underused device in reviews. Ryan Keaveney at Cinemusic is really the only one that I know of that uses sound clips in the body of the review. I like that very much.

I think it's a great idea. At one stage I really wanted to do "podcast reviews" where I could essentially give a verbal version of my reviews (not exactly the same, obviously - tailored for that format) but use audio clips to illustrate my points. As far as I know that's never been done and I would only have done it for the major releases. I'd still love to do it - but have just never found the time.
  3. Christodoulides wrote

the problem is, not all scores are that easy to simply go out and google their tracklisting, because we're also promoting the little scores

and besides, why go googling for info if you can read it a couple of places below the review?
    I still think this is vital, and Bregt knew it would bite him in the ass, because I don't let go of this one wink
  4. Southall wrote
    I think it's a great idea. At one stage I really wanted to do "podcast reviews" where I could essentially give a verbal version of my reviews (not exactly the same, obviously - tailored for that format) but use audio clips to illustrate my points. As far as I know that's never been done and I would only have done it for the major releases. I'd still love to do it - but have just never found the time.

I think that would be uber cool, but that's only possible if you make of that your profession, because it will be time consuming to say the least

would be cool though
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is there anything not on sountrackcollector.com? If yes, then in that case by adding the tracklisting you're contributing indeed to that not-easily found info i was talking about before; but there's not much meaning in posting the tracktitles for Zimmer's latest scores in mt though. wink
  5. Christodoulides wrote
    Is there anything not on sountrackcollector.com? If yes, then in that case by adding the tracklisting you're contributing indeed to that not-easily found info i was talking about before; but there's not much meaning in posting the tracktitles for Zimmer's latest scores in mt though. wink

most are there yes, but why do the fuss to go out and search for it?
    Bregt may have to write the codes to place it in the review section, I have to place the bloody tracktitles in the reviews, so who's going to have the most time on their hands then? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Bregt wrote
    Soundclips are indeed cool, and like I mentioned, a link or youtube or any other external music device/service that can be added on MT, should be considered. As for clips hosting myself, that is now out of the question, unless someone hosts clips that is hosted in a more clip friendly country, so that I can link to (if that is still legal of course).

The big question as you have rightly pointed out is that of the legality of providing sound clips. Doesn't one need rights to provide clips? Or can you make use of the fair-use policy?
  6. BhelPuri wrote
    Bregt wrote

The big question as you have rightly pointed out is that of the legality of providing sound clips. Doesn't one need rights to provide clips? Or can you make use of the fair-use policy?

not here in Belgium, everything's protected here

they even approved a law so that firms need to pay money if their employees listen to music on the radio during work angry

they are seriously fucked up here in Belgium face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

not here in Belgium, everything's protected here

they even approved a law so that firms need to pay money if their employees listen to music on the radio during work angry

they are seriously fucked up here in Belgium face-palm-mt

That is insane! shocked The RIAA would be proud though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes. It's called SABAM here, and they're as reckless as RIAA and others.

I'd have to pay 100's of EUR's a month for soundclips of 30 seconds (at least, that was several years ago, I should get feedback on that again) to put on MT.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    I like the idea of these pocket reviews. I prefer short ones above the traditional review.
  7. Typing in the track listings is something I can do, it's something I already do for my personal collection, so why not do it for a worthwile organisation such as MT?

Sending them over to the reviewers is peanuts.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Joep wrote
    I like the idea of these pocket reviews. I prefer short ones above the traditional review.

I'm all in favour of those too.

In fact the single most useful review feature BY FAR I find to be the one on Filmtracks that summarizes the experience in just two sentence at the top of the actual review: "BUY THIS if you enjoy <...>. AVOID THIS if you hate <...>".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, that's pretty useful indeed; shame most of the times what's written in there is crap wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Joep wrote

I'm all in favour of those too.

In fact the single most useful review feature BY FAR I find to be the one on Filmtracks that summarizes the experience in just two sentence at the top of the actual review: "BUY THIS if you enjoy <...>. AVOID THIS if you hate <...>".

So why do only six people visit my website in a month?