• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    It's about that time...

NP: Raiders of the Lost Ark - John Williams

Playing it for my daughter.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    Sweet! smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009 edited
    NP: ROAR! - Michael Giacchino

The fact you don't even hear the first minute of it apart from the odd bass rumble is fantastic. I LOVE that build up. cool
  1. lol You even posted here.

John Williams - E.T.

What Lee said smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    NP: THE TERMINAL.... JOHN WILLIAMS

Not talked about as much as some of his other scores but a good one nevertheless. The Tale of Viktor Navorski track is great for the clarinet work.

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yikes there are two 32's. What happened?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote

Not talked about as much as some of his other scores but a good one nevertheless. The Tale of Viktor Navorski track is great for the clarinet work.

Thomas

It also has a pretty darn nice love theme too.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited
    Regarding Goldsmith Trek vs. Horner Trek: There simply is no such debate, because it´s widely accepted that, while they used a different approach, both of them wrote fantastic Trek music. Believe me, I was there when it happened, and I don´t remember people saying, "oh, that sounded like a pirate film, how bad", they thought it was fitting given the story about two space ships biting at each other. But I do remember the spontanous applause from the crowd when that Courage fanfare got that now famous crescendo. There was no doubt whatsoever that this was a Trek score, and a great one.

Goldsmith had written the music for ONE movie. That certainly didn´t make him the template everyone followed. As a matter of fact, Rosenman wrote something more along Horner´s style than Goldsmith´s. Even Eidelman´s score sounds more like Horner, even after Goldsmith got his second chance. And McCarthy´s was ... McCarthy.

Don´t get me wrong here, I LOVE TMP, as you well know, and think this is how a perfect Trek score should sound. But that doesn´t make me dritizize Horner for doing his own thing, because back then, Goldsmith didn´t own the franchise as Williams owned SW.
  2. I think Chris Gordon, WITH THE THEMES, would have be spectacular!

I reckon he would do much better on his own than if he were paying lip service to the Williams themes. I listen to that Commonwealth Games anthem and I think, like Shirley Walker, he has his own Superman theme to give. And he wouldn't get that chance if he were stuck reiterating a melody that - to be fair - has gotten its fair share of respect in the history of film music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - Ennio Morricone

Praise of this composer's talents has never been overstated. What a classic.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: The Time Tunnel John Williams and George Duning This is an old GNP/Crescendo release.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil

Thomas

Exactly. I, too, love this score very much, especially "The Tale of Viktor Navorski" is great one. By the way, you should post this message over here.. Is it not? Otherwise, Mr.Erik will get tensed when you post a message under wrong thread. biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    NP: The Time Tunnel John Williams and George Duning This is an old GNP/Crescendo release.
    Thomas

This is an interesting score, but its sound quality is very poor. How about yours?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Sunil wrote
    Thomas

This is an interesting score, but its sound quality is very poor. How about yours?

Now playing is acceptable for the thread I posted for The Terminal. I enjoyed the movie as well although I understand it didn't do well at the box office. As far as Time Tunnel quality is concerned, I've heard better before.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Adrian Johnston - All The King's Men

Has Johnston ever done an average/lousy score? I think not.
    This one is another lovely work only if slightly marred by sound effects and dialogues included with some of the cues.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Terminal - John Williams

I like this one too! beer Victor's theme makes me smile smile and love theme is beautiful
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Now playing is acceptable for the thread I posted for The Terminal. I enjoyed the movie as well although I understand it didn't do well at the box office. As far as Time Tunnel quality is concerned, I've heard better before.
    Thomas

Oh! Thomas, i was just kidding! biggrin
  3. NP: Great Expectations (Patrick Doyle)

Quite a strong score. I think it's probably one of Doyle's best.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I was playing : Frost/Nixon

One of the few , or even the only, Zimmer score that doesn't work for me.

I can appreciate the orchestrations, specially the percusion and metal section wich is recorded so clear that they seems to be playing in your house. And "nixon defeated" has a really gorgeous piano. But that's it.

I'm glad this score had amazing reviews, thought

NP:Kung Fu Panda (Powell and Zimmer)

One of my favourites scores of both composers.

each listen you discover a new instrument into the orchestrations. Simply AMAZING!

"sacred pool of tears" is a masterpiece in his own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Kung Fu Panda (Powell and Zimmer)

One of my favourites scores of both composers.

each listen you discover a new instrument into the orchestrations. Simply AMAZING!

"sacred pool of tears" is a masterpiece in his own.

I've been ADDICTED to this since a few weeks. Love it, one of the most fun scores from last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: Hook~ John Williams

Why will I ever want to grow up? tongue Peter Pan was (and still is) my favourite childhood hero. My grandmama used to read for my his adventures every night. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  4. Why would you? smile

Is everything OK in Athens now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Better Pawel! Thanks for asking! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  5. That's good. Keep us informed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE DUELLISTS - Howard Blake

Hmmmmmm? I'll need a few more listens to get my head around this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Shadows of the Empire (Mcneely)

Wow, Much better than I remembered.

Fireworks, and some wonderfull choral composition.

I can't say it's a real star wars sounding score for me, even if Mcneely tries hard to make this typical Williams comical action motifs, but it's an interesting and entertaining score for sure.

Xizor's theme succes.

PS: Some Hook notes comes to my mind in "battle of gall"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE DUELLISTS - Howard Blake

Hmmmmmm? I'll need a few more listens to get my head around this.

To heck with The Duellists....

NP : THE RIDDLE OF THE SANDS - Howard Blake

love
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Hankock (john Powell)

My own selection: Suv Chase, Mary brings ball, getting therapy, To War, Holywood Blvd, Death and transfiguration and the moon and the superhero.

"Hollywood Boulevard" is all what I love from Powell, but the track wich really touches me is "Death and transfiguration" where the love theme (I don't meant the real love theme betweem Smith and Theron characters) is played with a really powerful crescendo. The sequence has really dramatic power too....
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Swamp Thing - Harry Manfredini

Some great action and suspense tracks on this one , Manfredini style of course ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Do I have to listen Barry's Somwhere in time?