• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    Thor wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Part of the drive behind writing reviews (not for a professional reviewer like Thor mentions) is that you get to share your thoughts about something that you're totally in love with or passionate about, or something fantastic that you stumbled on and felt that it needed a bigger audience. Write reviews for these even if they are as few as 6 reviews a year.

True, but then it's more of a personal blog than a "review", strictly speaking. More in the vein of "hey, check out this great thing I heard recently...".

That has its value too, depending on who maintains it; if, Southall - for instance, sets up a review blog i am sure it'll get equally many hits and i'll visit too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This might be the way to go in the future as the cost is 0
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote
    True, but then it's more of a personal blog than a "review", strictly speaking. More in the vein of "hey, check out this great thing I heard recently...".

I'd be extremely curious to know how many reviewer's actually get paid for their opinion who have a site on the net. 1% ?
    Thomas

Of film music? I'd say 0%.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote

I'd be extremely curious to know how many reviewer's actually get paid for their opinion who have a site on the net. 1% ?
    Thomas

Yeah, that's my estimate too. If you're really lucky, you might be sent a free copy of the CD for promotional purposes, but that's about it, I guess.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote

Thomas

Yeah, that's my estimate too. If you're really lucky, you might be sent a free copy of the CD for promotional purposes, but that's about it, I guess.

Indeed. Except for someone who used to review film music and then money made him go the movie way wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think what I will do is this: continue writing the full reviews for things where I can find enough to say (which isn't the same as things I like - just things where the words flow, for whatever reason). And then try somehow to also incorporate capsule reviews of other things.

I'm thinking in particular of the releases which labels are kind enough to send to me, but where I know so little about the film or composer it's hard to write something of the usual length - some of Mikael's releases would fall into this category, where I certainly feel guilty at the moment about only reviewing some of them (but it's so hard to find four long paragraphs to write about a score for a film I've never seen, by a composer with whose work I'm completely unfamiliar, given that I'm non-musical).

But what that needs is some kind of clever design. How should I present the capsule reviews? Some sort of blog format would be ideal, but I would have to host it myself (I wouldn't want to direct people to an external site to read my capsule reviews) and I don't know how to do that. (The exceptionally limited extent of my web skills are pretty evident to anyone who's ever visited my site!) So, any help would be appreciated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    I think what I will do is this: continue writing the full reviews for things where I can find enough to say (which isn't the same as things I like - just things where the words flow, for whatever reason). And then try somehow to also incorporate capsule reviews of other things.

Awesome!

But what that needs is some kind of clever design. How should I present the capsule reviews? Some sort of blog format would be ideal, but I would have to host it myself (I wouldn't want to direct people to an external site to read my capsule reviews) and I don't know how to do that.

As for the blog format on your website there should be things like Drupal that should do the job. Of course, check with Bregt!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    BhelPuri wrote
    As for the blog format on your website there should be things like Drupal that should do the job. Of course, check with Bregt!

Cool, that looks perfect. Will download it later and see!

I'd also love to put my proper reviews into database format but that sounds like a longer-term aim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    James, Bregt can help you i am sure, with easy blog formats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Euhm. Ok. James! Apparently I can help. wink

But yeah, if I can help, let me know! WordPress (www.wordpress.org) is also a good idea, and while it orginally is a blog system, it can be expanded and rearranged like it was a review site or news site (the best example is www.filmscoreclicktrack.com). Tom alo uses this for his A Neglected Art blog.

Drupal I have no experience with yet (even though it's Belgian, and very successful).

Does your webspace support PHP and databases James? Otherwise both won't work at all.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt, to upload such a site via drupal, wordpress and all, you have to have your own space?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009 edited
    Drupal is a set of files (php) that you need to upload to your own webspace, in order to 'install'. You have to have database access as well, in order to add content to your site and store configuration. Without that will not work.

Wordpress offers free webspace (like blogger.com). You just have to make an account and you'll have a website (for example sdtom.wordpress.com) on which you can choose a theme, have sevral options for configuration, etc... If you want more freedom, you'll have to download the Wordpress files and do the same as I explained for Drupal. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice. That's what i had in mind. One more question from an irrelevant guy to THE expert, the interwebs God. (see? i have my ways tongue ).

How do you rename your blog from whatever.blogspot.com (for instance) to whatever.com? You have to pay them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I have no idea. Perhaps changing your username or so, somewhere in the option menu?

I've never had a soft spot, let alone a blogspot, but would hat be a good idea to change your address?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, for the time being i am just asking out of curiosity smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thank you! Currently experimenting with Wordpress (easy to host myself, my provider supports it).
  1. Southall wrote
    Thank you! Currently experimenting with Wordpress (easy to host myself, my provider supports it).

I've also been thinking of looking into Wordpress so I'd be interested to hear how people get on with it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009 edited
    Well, it's very easy and popular i guess? Much like blogspot / blogger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2009
    Bregt introduced me to Wordpress over 3 years ago and I've been very happy with it. The fact that wordpress appears in the address doesn't bother me in the least. Once people find you they save the site as a favorite. While it isn't a website it looks sort of like one.
    thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just found out that I can't access wordpress
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Just temporary as it is back up and running. A mere bump in the road.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    An announcement!

movie-wave capsules

A new area of the site which will offer capsule reviews of titles that, for whatever reason, I don't review in full at the main site. Look also for occasional blogs and pieces of exciting film music news (should there ever be any).

http://www.movie-wave.net/capsules

The first five capsule reviews are up already. Look for many more to follow - check back often!

Comments would, of course, be appreciated. I've never done anything like this before (well, I guess my reviews weren't the longest in the first place, but this is still something new), so it's a learning curve.

Thanks

James
  2. I think the format works! punk (Just going off a reading of the NORMA RAE review.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Very, very good stuff, James!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nice idea, Southall, although they were quite lengthy for capsules. I would go for something HALF that length myself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Awesome! That was very quick! The layout is clean and sparkles!

Some minor suggestions-

It's a bit difficult to read the subheading film music in a nutshell ('film' is barely visible; font color clashes with background)

You might want to tag each post with keywords (composer's name, label of release) which would make it easy to check all reviews of that composer or by the label.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Nice James. Cool you found your way with Wordpress. smile
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009
    Well done!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    NICE! Glad to see you followed the format too, it's good isn't it? It's better for everyone i guess and if it means less struggle for the reviewer, then it also means more reviews! Keep up the good work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I agree with Thor. Shorter