• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I like it, James.

It's the sort of thing I had in mind for some of the lesser known titles I have (Spanish, Japanese, download only releases, etc).

I'd be interested at some point to your experiences with this. Maybe if a trip down to Bristol could be arranged for a face-to-face masterclass on how to get it all up and running?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009
    Excellent reviews James though I agree with the above people who think it could be shortened.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Maybe what you could do is a series of the capsule ones and then one a month could be featured with extensive writing.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nice work, James! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thanks everyone for the comments!

sdtom wrote
    Maybe what you could do is a series of the capsule ones and then one a month could be featured with extensive writing.
    Thomas

That's probably what I will do - though I'll try for more than one a month which is longer.

Timmer wrote
    Excellent reviews James though I agree with the above people who think it could be shortened.

Since this is a common thing which has been said then I'll try, but I may struggle to go even shorter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    James, my idea isn't original. The San Diego Union Tribune does the same thing in their book review section. A series of capsule and then one really nice feature review.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    It's the sort of thing I had in mind for some of the lesser known titles I have (Spanish, Japanese, download only releases, etc).

Weren't you going to do that once for maintitles! sad
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'd be interested at some point to your experiences with this. Maybe if a trip down to Bristol could be arranged for a face-to-face masterclass on how to get it all up and running?

Yes, of course. It's quite easy to do (after all, I managed it!) but there are some annoying restrictions surrounding the design. There are hundreds and hundreds of design templates available but I didn't really like any of them so ended up with the "least worst". You can design your own but need to understand CSS, which I don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Very nice. I think this new capsule format is fantastic. And Wordpress is a fantastic publishing tool (I used it for my new MovieScore Magazine site too!) - keep up the good work, James, and congratulations!

mc
  2. I don't think they need to be any shorter. Don't be TOO led by your audience. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't think they need to be any shorter. Don't be TOO led by your audience. wink

The shorter, the better!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I agree with Thor and disagree with Michael on this one. Describe the kind of music and how it compares to his other work.
    Thomas
  3. Tom and Thor strike me as an unlikely alliance! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We've been known to agree by accident on occasion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    I don't think they need to be any shorter. Don't be TOO led by your audience. wink

If I've learned anything from working in a service industry for ten years, it's that the customer is NEVER right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

If I've learned anything from working in a service industry for ten years, it's that the customer is NEVER right!

There's a good slogan to have on the front of your review page! wink
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I know - I did promise that I would do this. It's making the time to do a "proper" review that gives justice to the score that I'm finding difficult (never mind finding the words for any review.)

This "capsule review" format seems to be a way of more quickly and consicely commenting on a score - and this sounds an ideal format for someone who struggles to describe music and the emotional connection in anything more than "it's good", "I like it", etc.

BTW, I'm not saying that the reviewers who use capsule review format in any way struggle to describe the music adequately!! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

There's a good slogan to have on the front of your review page! wink

Indeed! I'm only joking, of course, and appreciate all the feedback here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I know - I did promise that I would do this. It's making the time to do a "proper" review that gives justice to the score that I'm finding difficult (never mind finding the words for any review.)

Well, since Demetris also asked me, and you previously proposed, I thought of adding a separate section to 'capsule reviews'. I'll probably have it finished by the end of next week. Do you have some "test material"?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2009 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    From a personal point of view I'd ask you to carry on with your reviewing, James. Your site is one of the first ones I turn to when I want to check out what a CD is likely to be like. But as someone earlier said, if you don't enjoy doing them anymore then you shouldn't do them.

I echo Alan's comments in full.
    Honestly, movie-wave is frigging indispensable for me. It's by far the best set-up and structured review site out there (no disrespect to the good, motivated and knowledgeable reviewers here! wave I'm mainly talking structure , format and amount of information. Especially the notes on multiple editions and -I've mentioned this before- the excellent one line summaries on top are unique, and a prime example of how to relay information on the internet. Honestly, as someone who has studied communication and sender-receiver interfaces professionally I cannot say enough glowing things about how this site is set up).

To lose that fount of information entirely (as I would guess the domain expiring would lead to Scorereviews-esque situations where all info gets wiped without backup) is nothing less than a tragedy to me.

But, and there's the rub, you doon't owe anyone anything.
    It's not like people are paying you for this.
    You started doing it because it was fun.

And as Alan said (and other posters before him): "if you don't enjoy doing them anymore (and they bring you no other benefits) then you shouldn't do them."
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. We might add to Martijn's thoughts that James is the only reviewer who has mastered the art of cracking a joke in a soundtrack review. It takes 2 Kaplans to match 1/2 a Southall wit for wit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just had a thought. What about offering the capsule review, one paragraph, at the top of the review, and then the regular review underneath. The reader could choose to read either or both. I'll send Bregt something on "Drag Me To Hell" which will give him an idea.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No, that is the tagline Tom. A capsule review is not equal to the first paragraph. Not sure if it's a good idea though, because then the first paragraph needs to be like the last paragraph (a summary of the score)?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    You know what, I think I'm gonna write such a capsule review myself - with my own preferred length - and then I can use that as a reference point later on.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    You know what, I think I'm gonna write such a capsule review myself - with my own preferred length - and then I can use that as a reference point later on.

I can see it now:

"I like this score."
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

I can see it now:

"I like this score."

Or just "I like".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

Will you be posting it somewhere that we can read? I'd certainly in interested in doing so.
  6. Cool James, nice work

glad to see you remaining on board beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote

Will you be posting it somewhere that we can read? I'd certainly in interested in doing so.

Sure.
    I am extremely serious.