• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Inspired by an FSM thread, what are you blind buy goods and bads?

BAD: "Enemy At the Gates"
    Horner at some of his most boring and it just lagged on forever. Then, quite annoyingly, the four note danger motif would show up. With taxes, I think I paid like $26 for it -- money horribly spent.

GOOD: "The Thorn Birds"
    Just basing my love on a severly low amount of Mancini work, I bought this after listening to a couple samples at the Varese site. One of the greatest scores I own.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. BAD: Spy Game - Harry Gregson-Williams
    I bought this when it came out, without having seen the movie, based on stuff by the composer I knew and loved. I think I´ve listened to it twice since then. I can´t stand it, though I don´t know exactly why.

GOOD: King Arthur - Hans Zimmer
    I didn´t see the movie before it came out on DVD, but I bought the score immediately when it came out, because I hoped it would be exactly what I was looking for, and it was. Great, shameless Zimmer bombast with some cool new elements here and there, but then, to my absolute surprise, it had vocals by Clannad´s leading lady, Maire Brennan (Enya´s older sister), who I adore since I watched Robin of Sherwood back in the Eighties. A truly inspired choice by Hans, this remains one of my most beloved surprise scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2009
    Funny 'cause SPY GAME is his best score to date i think.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Why anyone would name that above Sinbad or Kingdom of Heaven is beyond me. I get it that a lot of people have difficulties with Narnia (which I´d rank just fine on #3), but Spy Game bores the hell out of me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Me too, Ralph. Can't stand it. I don't think any of his scores is anything too special, but Kingdom of Heaven and the second Narnia score are both fine listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    BAD: Homeboy by Eric Clapton, i don't have anything to say. Just AWFUL ONE!

GOOD: Many are there.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Whoah! Where do I start? Nearly a third of my collection are blind buys, a lot of them being the Italian scores. I'll list a few-

Good
    Yvan Cassar - Massai: Les Guerriers de la Pluie
    Utterly fabulous score for Africa! Lush, pastoral Barry-esque sound meets uplifting anthems.

Adrian Johnston - Gideons Daughter / Friends and Crocodiles
    If you aren't a Johnston fan yet, the gorgeousness in this combo cd will sweep you over.

Franco Piersanti - I Ragazzi della via Pal
    Piersanti has a very austere sound and is not easy to appreciate. Here he sets aside the gloom and goes all out with aggressive brass and violins, and surprise, surprise... a catchy melodic hook!

Pino Donaggio - Il Grande Torino
    One of my fave Pino scores-- melodic from start to finish.

Davide Liuni - Il Servo Ungherese
    This one's a delicate beauty.

Paulo Buonvino - Padre Pio / Ferrari
    Two separate scores. Padre Pio is an emotional, religious themed one while Ferrari is about the car maker and has lots of urgent, fun themes.

Marco Frisina - Giovanni Paolo II
    This one was quite special. It started my Frisina obsession. Whoah!

Ok. Enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    BP, are you residing at Italy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Sunil wrote
    BP, are you residing at Italy?

I wish! No, I'm in the US. I bought a lot of those scores from http://www.intermezzomedia.com/
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, after my last visit to Italy this summer, i'd wish i was living there too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As I said in the FSM thread with the same name:

"Did a lot of blind purchases back in the 90's and even a couple of years into the 2000's, but there was so much "draft" going through my collection (CD's came and went if I didn't like them) that it would take me too long to list the good and the bad ones."
    I am extremely serious.
  4. BAD: Sleepy Hollow (Danny Elfman).
    I picked this up hoping it would be something good. Alas, it was something extremely horrible. Listening to this 'music' made me want to chop my own head off. I listened to it 3-4 times before ridding myself once and for all of this abysmal CD. It made me the biggest hater of Elfman on this planet. I have not bought an album of him since.

GOOD: Braveheart (James Horner).
    Bought this on a whim around the time the movie came out in a small CD shop having only a select few film soundtracks (most of them containing songs). Having not seen the film or read reviews, this wasn't instantly love at first sight. But as with all great things, love comes with repeated listens, needless to say it steadily rose to the top of my favourite film scores chart. It has stayed there to this day.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Interesting how we all differ. I find SLEEPY HOLLOW to be a fantastic score and soundtrack. Yes, it's quite overpowering at times, but it's a well-arranged album. I don't generally like horror scores, but this one I do.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd actually switch what DT wrote above.
  5. BhelPuri wrote
    Pino Donaggio - Il Grande Torino
    One of my fave Pino scores-- melodic from start to finish.

Of the selection mentioned above (many of which I am unfamiliar) I'd certainly recommend Donaggio's Il Grande Torino. Beautiful.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Interesting how we all differ. I find SLEEPY HOLLOW to be a fantastic score and soundtrack. Yes, it's quite overpowering at times, but it's a well-arranged album. I don't generally like horror scores, but this one I do.

I agree Thor, I find it a very enjoyable album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I'd actually switch what DT wrote above.

Sorry, but there's no way I'd go that far, Braveheart is a classic. I just wouldn't have put Sleepy Hollow, but to each their own beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2009
    nteresting how we all differ. I find SLEEPY HOLLOW to be a fantastic score and soundtrack. Yes, it's quite overpowering at times, but it's a well-arranged album. I don't generally like horror scores, but this one I do.

Exactly Thor, i agree with you. This is one of the best score ever composed by Danny Elfman. I think Gilles must know about my groundbreaking theory, maybe he would appreciate this score.

Have a nice day!
  6. I do not intend to ever listen to that one again, groundbreaking or not. My head still hurts from the last listen, oh about 5 or 6 years ago. angry
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2009
    I feel pity for you.

Take care.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Sunil wrote
    I feel pity for you.

Take care.

As do we all for you.

Take care.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote
    I feel pity for you.

Take care.

Come on now, Sunil. I don't think DreamTheater needs our pity just because he hates the score that we love. This world is big enough to room both opinions. But I'm guessing you didn't intend it as it was perceived.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2009
    I don't do blind buy usually - mainly because of financial reason. wink But I bought these two albums without checking clips, movies or streaming tracks beforehand, when they're sold at very very low price:

Stepmom - John Williams
    I didn't know what it was like at all, but it was found to be a really relaxing and beautiful score.

Perl Harbor - Hans Zimmer
    This album is always in secondhand CD stores - many many copies, at very low prices, as well as Titanic. dizzy
    But I was surprised to find a beautiful piano theme in this score, which I had very low expectation.

(Fortunately) I can't remember any bad blind buys I did so far...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2009
    Wow, yeah, one fourth or so of my CDs are blind buys too.

Good:
    Grusin's Yakuza. If you don't have this, you're missing out on one of the best FSM CDs.

Bad:
    Backdraft.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009
    Come on now, Sunil. I don't think DreamTheater needs our pity just because he hates the score that we love. This world is big enough to room both opinions. But I'm guessing you didn't intend it as it was perceived.

Agreed. smile
  7. Hell yes I don't need no pity... At least not for my taste in music. That's the only thing I just don't care what others think. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    You most probably misunderstood my humor. tongue
  8. face-palm-mt

Once again I fail at understanding your groundbreaking humor. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    You will never understand my humor. sad
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think you're confusing the words "humor" and "psycho" again.