• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009
    MovieScore Media presents

KNIFE EDGE
    Music Composed and Conducted by
    GUY FARLEY

Sound clips and more info:
    http://www.moviescoremedia.com/knifeedge.html

CD distributed by Screen Archives Entertainment:
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12936

Download album in 320kbit mp3 format here:
    http://www.payloadz.com/go?id=1145440

Download album on iTunes here:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143441

MovieScore Media has released several of Guy Farley's gorgeous scores before (Land of the Blind, The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey, The Flock), but our new one is probably our best - and possibly Guy's finest film score to date.

The orchestral score for Anthony Hickox thriller Knife Edge, starring Joan Plowright, Hugh Bonneville, Natalie Press, Jamie Harris and Tamsin Egerton, is an affectionate hommage to the classic genre film scores of the 1970s: you will hear influences of John Barry in the wonderful love theme, of Jerry Goldsmith in the atmospheric horror writing and of Bernard Herrmann in the tense suspense music and title theme. In our opinion, this is a score that is a must-have for any fan of old-school film music at its best - the difference being that it is actually written for a new film!

Our release of the CD co-incides with the UK DVD release of the film on October 19.

MMS08022 KNIFE EDGE (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    Music Composed and Conducted by GUY FARLEY
    Release date (CD/download): October 13, 2009
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2009
    Thanks Mikael, looks like this'll be for me. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I saved my pennies from any House of Cards purchase for more preferable releases such as this Mikael.

Another excellent release (from the clips at least).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009
    Lovely! Thanks Mikael! I'll be getting this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009 edited
    Sounds like an excellent score! It's a shame it has abysmal artwork since, judging by the clips, this is an album that deserves to stand out and say "Hey, this is a good score!" (Exactly the opposite of what the artwork would lead you to believe.)
  2. I just listened to this score for the first time tonight, and I thought it was superb. It's *occasionally* a little heavy in the temp-track area (a little Williams, a little Herrmann), but overall it was a very very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Sounds like an excellent score! It's a shame it has abysmal artwork since, judging by the clips, this is an album that deserves to stand out and say "Hey, this is a good score!" (Exactly the opposite of what the artwork would lead you to believe.)

What is this with everyone complaining about MovieScore Media's artwork all of a sudden? confused

The artwork on this CD is based on the official DVD artwork for the film...

Anyway, I'm actually thinking about biting the grass and start packaging our CDs in jewel cases. I get too many emails from people who claim that they won't buy my CDs as long as they're in digipaks...

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    moviescore wrote
    Anyway, I'm actually thinking about biting the grass and start packaging our CDs in jewel cases. I get too many emails from people who claim that they won't buy my CDs as long as they're in digipaks...

People are so odd!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Yeah, I know. I love my digipaks but with the sometimes very tiny sales figures we live with, I can't afford to loose any number of customers because of our packaging...

I figure no one would refuse to buy them because they are in jewel cases, but unfortunately it's the other way around.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    moviescore wrote
    What is this with everyone complaining about MovieScore Media's artwork all of a sudden? confused

I don't have a problem with this particular CD, nor most of your artwork, but I'm guessing even you must admit that the TOXIC cover left a little to be desired, even though there were obvious reasons for this?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Hmmmm... didn't we discuss that already? rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2009 edited
    moviescore wrote
    Hmmmm... didn't we discuss that already? rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes

mc

We did, but you kinda brought it up again with your above comment, as if you somehow also feel the criticism of the TOXIC cover is unjustified (irrespective of the hurdles you met on that one).

Incidentally, I don't share Steven's view on the KNIFE EDGE cover. I think it looks perfectly fine.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    moviescore wrote
    Steven wrote

It's the first time I've ever mentioned anything about the artwork. Just being honest, I'm not making a personal attack against you or your company, Mikael.

Anyway, isn't this kind of feedback indicative to the fact that the album (as a whole package) would benefit from having better artwork?
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Steven wrote
    Anyway, isn't this kind of feedback indicative to the fact that the artwork would probably benefit from being improved?

Sometimes it's a matter of taste more than anything else, Steven.

Now, when it comes to designing soundtrack artwork, you are always in the hands of the film company and/or the film's distributor. The Knife Edge CD artwork is based on the DVD artwork, and you usually need to go with that and not make up your own key artwork - the cross reference and branding is an important part of how a film and its bi-products is marketed.

So: you do the best with the key art provided. Sometimes acquiring the rights to use this key artwork is surprisingly complicated, and sometimes you simply don't get any good photos, graphics or posters to work with at all. In the case of Toxic, the process was very difficult, as I've explained before. Do I admit that the artwork could have been better? In the best of worlds, yes. But given the circumstances, no.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    moviescore wrote
    So: you do the best with the key art provided. Sometimes acquiring the rights to use this key artwork is surprisingly complicated, and sometimes you simply don't get any good photos, graphics or posters to work with at all. In the case of Toxic, the process was very difficult, as I've explained before. Do I admit that the artwork could have been better? In the best of worlds, yes. But given the circumstances, no.

mc

Have you given any thought to letting some of our "amateur" designers here come up with their own design (Luis, Erik etc.)? Perhaps they could come up with something that doesn't violate any rights and that would still look better than the TOXIC case?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    moviescore wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anyway, isn't this kind of feedback indicative to the fact that the artwork would probably benefit from being improved?

Sometimes it's a matter of taste more than anything else, Steven.

Now, when it comes to designing soundtrack artwork, you are always in the hands of the film company and/or the film's distributor. The Knife Edge CD artwork is based on the DVD artwork, and you usually need to go with that and not make up your own key artwork - the cross reference and branding is an important part of how a film and its bi-products is marketed.

mc

In that case, it's definitely not you or your company I was criticising! I just think it's a shame when the artwork doesn't do the score justice (again, from what I've heard from the clips). Artwork goes a long way.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Thor wrote
    Have you given any thought to letting some of our "amateur" designers here come up with their own design (Luis, Erik etc.)? Perhaps they could come up with something that doesn't violate any rights and that would still look better than the TOXIC case?

No. You know, again it's also matter of taste. Actually, a number of people have complimented on this specific cover (Toxic) and like the "hard" graphic look of it. Obviously, I like it myself. I think it works - especially given the conditions under which it was created. It reflects the yellow/black dirty look of the other designs for the film that has been floating around that we couldn't get access to.

So, you don't like it. I will have to live with that. You think that some "amateur" designers (your choice of words) would do better than I did. Well, maybe. Sure, have a go, lads. You will have to start with nothing, because nothing is what I had.

I guess I should just learn that you can't always please everyone. I need to grow up and stop taking things personally!!!

shame

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    We're just trying to give constructive criticism here, Mikael. But I can understand how it's difficult to take it that way when it's your "baby" we're talking about. Lukas often reacts the same way over at FSM. It's definitely a skill both to GIVE and TAKE criticism; that much I've learned in my years in academia, both as student and professor.

As far as artwork is concerned, though, it's definitely a matter of taste, I agree there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    In what way is your criticism constructive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    moviescore wrote
    In what way is your criticism constructive?

I guess constructive in the sense that it may be possible to find other venues through which to create more...how shall I put it, "lavish" artwork in such a difficult situation (rather than just putting up the film's title in a huge font all over the cover because the rights weren't cleared or some such thing).

But hey, it's no big deal. If you like it - and others too - then that's fine by me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009
    Thor, so your "constructive" criticism simply boils down to suggesting that someone else possibly could do my job better? shocked LOL. Is that the kind of "constructive" criticism you give your students as well? wink

Anyway, let me try to explain how I work. I think that you've noticed that most of the scores that come out on MovieScore Media are from small, independent films - quite often I bet you never heard of them before we announced our CDs? The truth is that even if the music itself is exquisite, the commercial "properties" of the projects are quite restricted. Two reasons: no one heard of the film, and no one heard of the composer! This is of course not always the case, but not an unusual scenario. So I am releasing these albums because I love the music, and I believe in its qualities and hope to find listeners who are interested in discovering new, exciting music in addition to collect and enjoy all of the "usual suspects". All of my CDs are the result of a very passionate and serious interest in making really good and exciting music available despite the fact that they are from films no one ever heard of. No other label does that.

Giving the fact that the market for my CDs is very limited (mind you, of the 500 editions we have done very few have sold out - you do the math!), the truth of the matter is that the budget on all of my CD projects is very restricted and there is basically no room to hire additional professional designers. I have nearly 20 years of professional graphic design experience myself (mostly newspaper design work), so doing artwork myself is part of the equation. Essentially, MovieScore Media is a one-man band. Basically none of the MovieScore Media releases would have seen the light of day if the costs weren't kept to a minimum.

As you know, the music comes first in my book so the money we spend goes to our mastering engineer, and of course to the licencing film company, publishers and the composers.

I hope that this gives you some insight into the process and perhaps a better understanding in some certain areas.

Cheers,

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2009 edited
    I give up, Mikael. You said yourself that you shouldn't take these things so personally, and yet you continue to do so?

1) I appreciate your explanations of WHY things turn out they way they do sometimes. I hereby acknowledge that your explanations have been received and appreciated.

2) Even though I understand the REASONS, I still think the cover could have been better-looking. A painting of a rainbow in only red and blue doesn't get any better just because that's the only two colours the painter had at his disposal. It's possible to acknowledge the limitations AND wish it had been better at the same time. Two thoughts in one's mind simultaneously and all that.

3) Do I think someone ELSE could have done a better job at the TOXIC ordeal? Hard to say, as it's just speculation, but yeah, maybe. Depends on how skilled he is and what he has at his disposal. This is not a criticism of you in general, neither as record producer nor visual artist nor PERSON (you tend to do a bang-up job most of the time), just at THIS particular case. Heck, I even think you YOURSELF could have done a better job, if you had thought in a slightly different way (let's say a more abstract cover painting of some sort). Lastly, it's also really a MINOR, MINOR point in the scheme of things. As you yourself say, the most important thing is to get these mostly unknown gems out there, a philosophy I share and applaud.

I keep wondering if you only expect people to give you positive feedback on EVERYTHING you do ALL THE TIME? If not, WHAT, in your opinion, constitues constructive criticism?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor, you're not providing constructive criticism, you're just ranting.

Mikael has very clearly explained why the artwork as it is, yet you seem completely closed minded at accepting his reasoning.

If you want to see nice artwork and nice artwork only, just stay in the custom cover thread.

face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    Thor, you're not providing constructive criticism, you're just ranting.

Mikael has very clearly explained why the artwork as it is, yet you seem completely closed minded at accepting his reasoning.

And I just said the explanations have been understood, but I think it could have looked better if one had gone about it slightly differently. Please try to keep up if you're going to participate in the debate.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    In that case you've made your point but you seem to want to continue debating it with Mikael. Where is this discussion going?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    In that case you've made your point but you seem to want to continue debating it with Mikael. Where is this discussion going?

You tell me. My point was made a long time ago. I didn't like the cover, said so, understood Mikael's reasons and was ready to move on. But he seems to take this - a very minor point - quite personally. I guess that's why we're still talking.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. moviescore wrote

For what it's worth, I really like your digipaks (though, at the moment, I'm tending to buy your stuff as a download). They look and feel great. Obviously, with this format there's not much room for expanded notes on the music (cue-by-cue comments, etc) and that's a bit disappointing sometimes.

The digipaks, in a way, differentiates your releases from all the others. But if your losing business by not providing jewel cases then you need to cater for the business. Maybe you could source some tinted jewel cases? RYKO's green-tinted cases were quite appealing!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Thor wrote
    You tell me. My point was made a long time ago. I didn't like the cover, said so, understood Mikael's reasons and was ready to move on.

Hypocrisy, Thor. I explained the reasons in the Toxic thread, then when the Knife Edge cover was criticized here and I made a spontaneous (and I admit somewhat childish) response to that you gladly took the opportunity to bring the Toxic issue up again!

But he seems to take this - a very minor point - quite personally. I guess that's why we're still talking.

This might be a very minor point to you (although one can start to wonder) and to most on this message board - but please understand that I produce CDs for a living, and I do it out of a very deep passion and I want you folks to enjoy great music. When someone isn't happy with my products, and publically post their criticism here, the least I can do is to react and explain. Would you prefer that I ignored it? I think that's what I will do when it comes to this discussion from now on. Case closed - in my book at least.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For what it's worth, I really like your digipaks (though, at the moment, I'm tending to buy your stuff as a download). They look and feel great. Obviously, with this format there's not much room for expanded notes on the music (cue-by-cue comments, etc) and that's a bit disappointing sometimes.

That's actually another reason why I'm going to switch to jewel cases. With the standard digipaks, there is only room for one page with notes. If we're doing jewel cases with 4-page "booklet", there is three pages. I am thinking about including a mini interview with the composer (5-10 questions) in all future albums.

Cheers,

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    moviescore wrote
    This might be a very minor point to you (although one can start to wonder) and to most on this message board - but please understand that I produce CDs for a living, and I do it out of a very deep passion and I want you folks to enjoy great music. When someone isn't happy with my products, and publically post their criticism here, the least I can do is to react and explain. Would you prefer that I ignored it?

No, but it would be less "confrontational" if you didn't take it so personally and resorted to "veiled" personal attacks (like your insinuation of my capability as a university professor earlier). Again, if MY criticism isn't constructive in your eyes, I wonder what is - in your opinion?
    I am extremely serious.