• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited
    Well, after owning the Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings ever since they came out, I finally figured out that the audio on the DVD cannot be played to full capacity on a regular DVD player, and that it's possible to rip the REAL full lossless 24-bit 5.1 audio to FLAC files. Played back on my home surround system, the Complete Recordings now sound better than any music recording I have ever heard before. The 6 discrete channels do wonders for sonic positioning, particularly by isolating soloists, and the quintupling of available data creates a depth and richness far surpassing any normal CD recording. It's an amazing experience.

So I'm just wondering, is anyone familiar with any other scores that have been released on DVD-Audio discs? I rather doubt there are any. And I think it's sad that this technology hasn't caught on more, as the average dude is more interested in portability and convenience than quality, and probably doesn't have a sound system even capable of demonstrating the difference.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) by John Williams:

http://www.amazon.com/I-John-Film-Compo … amp;sr=1-4
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a great paradox, isn't it, that at the time time as most people have become more and more interested in quality of video (with the welcome proliferation of high-definition content) they have become less and less interested in quality of sound (with the less-welcome proliferation of low-resolution compressed audio). Odd!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Dom wrote
    Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) by John Williams:

http://www.amazon.com/I-John-Film-Compo … amp;sr=1-4

Excellent!! Thank you. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    It's a great paradox, isn't it, that at the time time as most people have become more and more interested in quality of video (with the welcome proliferation of high-definition content) they have become less and less interested in quality of sound (with the less-welcome proliferation of low-resolution compressed audio). Odd!

Maybe its because their ears have all been blown out by going to rock concerts tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Southall wrote

People think I'm really really old until they hear the true beauty of a Mac tube amp and Klipsch speakers. The answer of course is that its all about money.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    You aren't. Check what i just bought:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/american_audio_tt_record.htm

Plus the following original LP's, today

ALIEN
    STAR TREK THE MOVIE
    THE SHELTERING SKY
    THE LAST EMPEROR

love
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow D! That's cool. How did you find those? Second hand?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    D paying retail for anything???????
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Well he doesn't try to get a deal at McDonald's
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, for 7-12 euros each in a local shop, in PERFECT conditions! Plus he has a HUGE collection of classic and golden age scores, plus some new ones too. And a lot of Mancini. Next think i know i was home, logged into thomann.de and there goes my extra money ! Can't wait, seriously. I have a very good studio monitor / studio amp m-audio and esi setup here, the only thing missing was this. As i found myself listening to less and less mp3's during the last 6 years, the whole digital thing has diminished my musical enjoyment, i thought this was a perfect step to re-boot the whole excitement think for me. And i honestly can't wait!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009 edited
    Which reminds me i should open a FILM MUSIC VINYLS thread, or do we already have one? I need international shops and links!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, for 7-12 euros each in a local shop, in PERFECT conditions! Plus he has a HUGE collection of classic and golden age scores, plus some new ones too. And a lot of Mancini. Next think i know i was home, logged into thomann.de and there goes my extra money ! Can't wait, seriously. I have a very good studio monitor / studio amp m-audio and esi setup here, the only thing missing was this. As i found myself listening to less and less mp3's during the last 6 years, the whole digital thing has diminished my musical enjoyment, i thought this was a perfect step to re-boot the whole excitement think for me. And i honestly can't wait!

What you need to find are some minty Mercury Living Presence LP's. Get a mono tube amp a nice turntable and you'll here beautiful sound. The sound is better on older speakers however.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

What you need to find are some minty Mercury Living Presence LP's. Get a mono tube amp a nice turntable and you'll here beautiful sound. The sound is better on older speakers however.

I bought this http://www.thomann.de/gb/american_audio_tt_record.htm

And for amp, i have this http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/ProFire2626.html

These are my speakers http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- … M-PAK-LIST
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    You aren't. Check what i just bought:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/american_audio_tt_record.htm

Plus the following original LP's, today

ALIEN
    STAR TREK THE MOVIE
    THE SHELTERING SKY
    THE LAST EMPEROR

love

RESPECT cool punk

Great GREAT scores too!!!!

And yeah, a vinyl thread would be cool D but I doubt it'll be popular save a handfull of us.

p.s. compared to CD's doesn't LP's look so goddarnit beautiful in comparison.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2009
    I don't care if it'll be popular, i want 3-4 persons to disgust and share links, i am really excited, i am looking at the lp's holding them and seeing the hand-drawn artwork and can't wait for the turntable to arrive!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Well, after owning the Lord of the Rings Complete Recordings ever since they came out, I finally figured out that the audio on the DVD cannot be played to full capacity on a regular DVD player, and that it's possible to rip the REAL full lossless 24-bit 5.1 audio to FLAC files. Played back on my home surround system, the Complete Recordings now sound better than any music recording I have ever heard before. The 6 discrete channels do wonders for sonic positioning, particularly by isolating soloists, and the quintupling of available data creates a depth and richness far surpassing any normal CD recording. It's an amazing experience.

So now it's sound more like your actually in the gigantic cave they recorded the score in. wink

No matter how many channels there are and how uncompressed the music is John Kurlander's recording of the Lord of the Rings trilogy is God awful! I know they did the distant recording on purpose but a lot of the music is buried under the over powering reverb and hollowness of the recording!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't care if it'll be popular, i want 3-4 persons to disgust and share links, i am really excited, i am looking at the lp's holding them and seeing the hand-drawn artwork and can't wait for the turntable to arrive!

I couldn't help but laugh, sorry man! biggrin

Erik Woods wrote
    No matter how many channels there are and how uncompressed the music is John Kurlander's recording of the Lord of the Rings trilogy is God awful! I know they did the distant recording on purpose but a lot of the music is buried under the over powering reverb and hollowness of the recording!

-Erik-

I know you have a big problem with reverb. And I know your ears are much more trained than mine. wink

For TLOTR, it kinda seems appropriate. It makes the music sound grander and more otherworldly, which is exactly what story is, not of this world. I wouldn't want it to sound anything else than it does now but that's just me.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I couldn't help but laugh, sorry man! biggrin

DAMN! mega-shame Blame it on the booze. :still-hangover-and-dizzy:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A good night last night then D? biggrin wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Apparently so
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, re-reading the threads i have to agree too with the "apparently so" shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, re-reading the threads i have to agree too with the "apparently so" shame

Don't worry, you were good fun last night wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    I know you have a big problem with reverb. And I know your ears are much more trained than mine. wink

For TLOTR, it kinda seems appropriate. It makes the music sound grander and more otherworldly, which is exactly what story is, not of this world. I wouldn't want it to sound anything else than it does now but that's just me.

I have no problem with reverb. Natural reverb is very important and adding reverb to an orchestral recording is the norm. However, you can create a big, expansive sound without drowning out the rest of the orchestra or the finer details in the orchestration. Just listen to such massive scores as Final Fantasy or The Mummy Returns. Kurlander's recording is a muddy, bloated mess.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I have no problem with reverb. Natural reverb is very important and adding reverb to an orchestral recording is the norm. However, you can create a big, expansive sound without drowning out the rest of the orchestra or the finer details in the orchestration. Just listen to such massive scores as Final Fantasy or The Mummy Returns. Kurlander's recording is a muddy, bloated mess.

-Erik-

Yikes shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

Yikes shame

Agree with Erik, that's a pretty crucial point in mixing and mastering.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

Yikes shame

Yikes what?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2009
    Kurlander's recording is a muddy, bloated mess.

That is what the yikes was for
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Kurlander's recording is a muddy, bloated mess.

That is what the yikes was for

Is it not?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I am not an expert on recordings, so this is purely layman's opinion, but I think the LotR recordings are quite perfect given the style of music and the intended feel. It certainly doesn't bother me in the same way that some of the recordings of Giacchino's scores do. They make the music feel lifeless. The LotR recordings just make the music feel big. I prefer entertainment to pinpoint accuracy when it comes to musical recordings. How shallow I am.