• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009
    On many occasions, I have just asked this question to myself. As you know, in the past or present, we have had witnessed several score releases which would contain more songs than score. For e.g, take albums like Jerry Goldsmith’s Mulan, Hans Zimmer’s The Lion King, Alan Silvestri’s Back to the Future and Stuart Little, Godzilla, where you would have noticed that songs have being dominated over scores on these albums, which I find quite irritating and disappointing. As far as Stuart Little and Back to the Future concern, it was completely unfair to insert only two score tracks and remaining just songs. AWFUL INDEED!

Who is actually responsible for this kind of poor score album releases? Is it by producer or Music Company itself? Does anyone know about this?
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i'd gather the one who owns the rights to releases the score on CD in the first time and decides what exactly is most likely to sell and puts it on, i.e. the studio.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited
    It's the studio execs and album producers at the record company who decide all that. The scores you mentioned are all pre-2000 scores and that was a time of heavier re-use fees (money the studio must pay the orchestra, conductor etc to release the score) so that was also a factor in getting them the crappy releases they got. There was some rule passed which made it cheaper to release scores after 2000 I think. Of course, if the studio licenses the rights to another company to release the score, it can be done (Sony allowed La-La Land records to release the full score of Godzilla). May whoever at Disney has the rights of Lion King be hypnotized into following the same.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Sad, but true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, in a way yes. If the general public is only paying for the songs, then they're in-directly responsible for Studios releasing such compilations.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Would The Lion King and BTTF have sold zillions of copies if they'd been score-only? We all know the answer to that. There are only 3,000-ish people who buy film score albums in the world but those two have sold multi-millions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Agreed. A limited score release by someone like Intrada or LLL would be ideal though.
  1. Southall wrote
    Would The Lion King and BTTF have sold zillions of copies if they'd been score-only? We all know the answer to that. There are only 3,000-ish people who buy film score albums in the world but those two have sold multi-millions.

considering score and songs are so important in these 2 movies, they should have released one long CD, with enough selections of both the songs and score, not all songs and a bit of score

I don't need a full score only release, because I know what the songs mean in the film. Like The Prince of Egypt, it are the songs that are a vital part of the movie's charm. But do not present a bit of score, just because you think people will not buy the album. Mainstream buyers will have bought it, if there was 5 minutes or 45 minutes of score on it, just because for them the songs were worth it.

They had plenty of room to give us extra score material and then, we would have never made such a fuzz over these 2 titles

I rest my case smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    That's true. The songs in TLK ran a total of about 37 minutes, leaving 43 minutes' worth of space. They could've done at least 30-35 min of score on there, but there'd still be many highlights left out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm only playing devil's advocate really because I agree with you, but these things are recorded with union orchestras in California and paying for more score music is hugely expensive. If they're going to sell 15,000,000 copies of the album if they pay $1 per album sold for 20 minutes of score but 15,003,000 copies if they pay $2 per album sold for 40 minutes of score then that's why they make the decision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    The fees for scores recorded in UK is lower that's why scores recorded over there have had longer score releases (Narnia, King Arthur are quite long for Disney scores).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DemonStar wrote
    The fees for scores recorded in UK is lower that's why scores recorded over there have had longer score releases (Narnia, King Arthur are quite long for Disney scores).

Speaking of which, how fortunate that Disney dropped Narnia...or David Arnold's score to the next film would be stuck in download-only hell! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I agree. Now I keep praying that all the new Disney movies have bad music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Scribe wrote
    Speaking of which, how fortunate that Disney dropped Narnia...or David Arnold's score to the next film would be stuck in download-only hell! smile

Oh yes! Now Fox has the rights so I'm pretty sure it'll get a good release. cheesy punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2009 edited
    keky wrote
    I agree. Now I keep praying that all the new Disney movies have bad music!

Indeed. If the Prince Of Persia score sucks ass we won't have to hunt for another promo! tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As some of us have said before it's all about money. However, without the union in California you'd see the quality go downhill really fast. I for one don't want to hear a score performed by minimum wage help.
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Disney is the main blame for some of those scores, like "Mulan", and since Roger (Intrada Records) said that even now -- as Intrada as rekindled it's connections with Disney -- Disney is not interested in liscansing the rights out to their animated projects, that means we're STILL screwed over things like "Mulan" and "Ducktales".

And despite rants from Thor, I believe it was Roger who said in an interview (or maybe it was someone from Varese) recently that the main reason for shorter CDs was (not Thor's "listening experience") re-use fees, otherwise there would have been longer CDs before the changes to SFM a while back.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm sure there would. That change in union arrangement is the single worst thing that's happened to film music in the last decade. It just makes film music sound so much worse - for every decent score where we'd have all been frustrated with a 30-minute release, there are several dozen mediocre ones which may have sounded OK at half an hour but nobody will ever listen to twice at 70+ minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Disney is the main blame for some of those scores, like "Mulan", and since Roger (Intrada Records) said that even now -- as Intrada as rekindled it's connections with Disney -- Disney is not interested in liscansing the rights out to their animated projects, that means we're STILL screwed over things like "Mulan" and "Ducktales".

And despite rants from Thor, I believe it was Roger who said in an interview (or maybe it was someone from Varese) recently that the main reason for shorter CDs was (not Thor's "listening experience") re-use fees, otherwise there would have been longer CDs before the changes to SFM a while back.

Damnit! And here I thought I had all-encompassing power over the record industry.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. The best you can hope for is sharks with freakin' lasers attached to their heads.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. justin boggan wrote
    The best you can hope for is sharks with freakin' lasers attached to their heads.

someone has been watching Austin Powers this weekend, and guess what, we did too wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. No, just a memorable quote. Now I got the sudden urge to listen to Goerge S. Clinton's score the to the first film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009
    Until the general public complains and stops attending films nothing much will be done.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    sdtom wrote

Until the general public complains and stops attending films nothing much will be done.

I don't think that would certainly bring any difference on this issue. For instance, you take John Williams' Hook, still now there is no news on complete recordings or atleast extended version of that score. Many people adore this score but i say i am quite dissatisfied with the original release. There are several cues are left out. Even now, particular Music Company is not showing any interest in releasing the complete recordings of Hook. Don't you think it deserves for complete recording?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I'm 100% sure Hook complete will be released sooner or later. It's just a matter of time/licensing issues etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    If my calculation are correct, maybe in the year 2015 we will get the complete score of HOOK. wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote
    sdtom wrote

I don't think that would certainly bring any difference on this issue. For instance, you take John Williams' Hook, still now there is no news on complete recordings or atleast extended version of that score. Many people adore this score but i say i am quite dissatisfied with the original release. There are several cues are left out. Even now, particular Music Company is not showing any interest in releasing the complete recordings of Hook. Don't you think it deserves for complete recording?

I don't. I think the existing release is perfect.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I think the existing release is perfect.

Aren't you even a bit torn between your general yet outspoken disregard for extended releases and your hang for Williams completistismility?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    I think the existing release is perfect.

Aren't you even a bit torn between your general yet outspoken disregard for extended releases and your hang for Williams completistismility?

He, he....'completistismility', love that word.

No, can't say that I am. My 'completistismility' has only to do with having ONE good representation of EVERY SINGLE ONE of his compositions. Anything else is either unnecessary or mere "bonuses". As established in the recent "how many do you have of this and that composer?" thread, I'm not one of those crazy guys who buy something just because it has the words 'John Williams' on it. Not yet, anyway. smile
    I am extremely serious.