• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I put my thoughts in order for a similar thing over at mmuk. Here are the scores that have stood out to me. No particular order, although the better ones do skew earlier.

- Mao's Last Dancer (Gordon)
    - Cheri (Desplat) - Desplat's best theme yet is the waltz from this score. The film is a bit of a mess, the music and photography its real saving graces. Desplat seemed to be doing the Goldsmith thing of scoring the best version of this film that could have been.
    - Amelia (Yared)
    - Broken Embraces (Alberto Iglesias)
    - Baaria (Morricone)
    - 'Daybreak' from Battlestar Galactica Season 4 & the Season 4 album in general (Bear Mccreary)
    - Tetro (Golijov) - tango, argentinian melancholy jazz, and a new orchestral ballet by Golijov
    - New Moon (Desplat)
    - Home (Armand Amar)
    - A Single Man (Abel Korzeniowski) - the biggest discovery for me this year among new composers. A light, neo-classical chamber score... moving and melodic.
    - Un Prophete (Desplat) - so restrained, so clever. One of those scores where every note counts.
    - The Red Canvas (James Paterson) - the other biggest discovery for this year
    - Coco Avant Chanel (Desplat) - Desplat's best-spotted film this year? The thinking behind the scoring is so clever, from the first cue to the last. Some of it is the typical stuff, but the cues that bookend the film alone are reminders of how clever this composer is.
    - Public Enemies (Goldenthal) - great to have him back, even if his wings were a bit clipped here
    - Coco and Igor (Yared) - Coco Chanel collected two top scores this year. This is the darker of the two, and Yared must find his own way amidst extensive quotes from Stravinsky, but he does it well, and finds a darker, more complex passion than Desplat has to in the other Coco film.

Special mention also to Adoration (Danna), Un Homme et son chien (Rombi), Agora (Marianelli), In the Electric Mist (Beltrami), Julia+Julie (Desplat), Fantastic Mr Fox (Desplat).

Extra special mention to James Horner's spotting in Avatar. He's among the best at achieving the classical relationship between film score and image these days... our emotions turn when he wants them to. And he's so much more at home in this sort of film than in the more dramatic works he has favoured lately. I just wished he tried as hard as other composers clearly do to come up with new ideas for a new score.

I haven't yet heard any of the Johan Soderqvist's many scores from this year, and I'm sure there'll be some good new material there.

And was any score as rich and eloquent as Andrey Siegle's Alexandra, released by Movie Score Media? But the film came out in 2007, so go figure. It's also the best film I've seen of any on this list, although the fact that nothing really happens in it will be an understandable turn off for many.

I need to go back to Up (Giacchino). I never saw the film, which I suspect would have cemented my love for it, but on its own I haven't quite gotten into it as much as I did for - say - Ratatouille.

And my favourite musical moment in a film this year? As the strains of 'Labor of Love' fade away, and we see a wide shot of escape pods trailing away from Nero's supersized ship, a snazzy allegro builds up across the orchestra for a fantastic main title reveal in Star Trek. I can't say I went on with the rest of the score - (even within the end credits suite, I get tired of the main theme by the end, let alone listening to the whole score) - but that was a moment of movie magic.

Gordon's Daybreakers doesn't count for this year, but will be among the best of next year.

Overall, it must be said: the art is alive and well.

PS. A question: What happened to Philip Glass? A couple of years ago, he was scoring half the prestige films of the year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009
    Indeed it is! Despite the worst efforts of some mediocrities.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2009 edited
    From what I heard so far:

- Up (Michael Giacchino) - Easily my favourite score of the year, and one of the most touching works by MG. Fantastic themes, fantastic action music, excellent work as a score in the film and musical experience on its own.

- Twilight: New Moon (Alexandre Desplat) - The main theme is one of the best this year, IMO. Action tracks aren't that good but the quieter, emotional material is lovely.

- Avatar (James Horner) - While not particularly original, I like the musical development in this one and it makes for a very fine listening experience.

- Coco Avant Chanel (Alexandre Desplat)

- Baaria (Ennio Morricone)

- A Christmas Carol (Alan Silvestri) - Terrific main theme and classic Silvestri choir/action material with some truly chilling tracks like in The Polar Express.

- Amelia (Gabriel Yared)

- Agora (Dario Marianelli)

- Astro Boy (John Ottman) - One of Ottman's really good orchestral works, especially the killer theme suite.

- Ice Age 3: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs (John Powell) - This one may not have been a favourite of many but I found it a fun and exciting listen with some very good new themes.

- Angels & Demons (Hans Zimmer) - 160 BPM and Science & Religion are two real favourite tracks here.

- Le Petit Nicolas (Klaus Badelt)

- District 9 (Clinton Shorter)

- Moon (Clint Mansell)

- The Killing Room (Brian Tyler)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    One of the top years in recent film music history. I am thoroughly impressed!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm actually struggling to find 10 scores I've bought that were written in 2009. Everything this year has been about older releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    With all the releases this year, most of them already noted in the posts above, you'd either not be searching good enough or you're just weird tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote

Ah, you can't believe how refreshing it is to read a statement and opinion like that! Thumbs way up for that. kiss After a session at FSM, you sometimes leave with the impression that the world ended in 1975 and everything after that is the bane of humanity.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I agree!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    With all the releases this year, most of them already noted in the posts above, you'd either not be searching good enough or you're just weird tongue

Star Trek, Up, New Moon, Julie & Julia, Ice Age 3, Amelia, Astro Boy, Un Homme Et Son Chien, Avatar.

:epic-facepalm:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I definitely agree with Michael that one of the best film music moments from 2009 is the main title in Star Trek. That little motif before the big bold statement of the main theme is just, well, perfect. A fantastic experience in the cinema!

Like Anthony, I'm struggling to think of 10 scores from this year: Up, Avatar, A Christmas Carol, Un Homme Et Son Chien, Terminator Salvation. Um... something else.... I dunno. Star Trek and Avatar are the ones battling it out for my No.1 score from 2009.

The best releases, for me, are without a doubt Back To The Future and Wrath of Khan - I didn't even have to stop and think about that one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think special mention has to go some of the use of music in my favourite film of 2009, Inglourious Basterds (bearing in mind I haven't seen Avatar yet). Morricone's 'Rabbia e Tarrantella' (wherever the hell that's from) captures the tone of the whole film quite well with its sinister and yet somewhat comical colour in the end credits. Brilliant!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Terminator Salvation - I forgot that!

Star Trek is my #1 easily, with the best release going to Lost season 4 (probably to be beaten by BTTF if it arrives before the end of the year!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    My faves this year would be mostly older titles finally released like The Journey Of Natty Gann, House Of Cards, Wrath Of Khan, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Innerspace, Exodus, The Prince and the Pauper and Back To The Future. I'm impressed with the new ones too like Mao's Last Dancer, Star Trek, Avatar, New Moon etc.
    Pretty darn good year actually! cool
  3. I've mostly missed out on the older scores released this year. I guess I was having too much fun with the good new releases to care much! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For someone who likes his scores a little more restrained (?), then I guess it has a been a good year. For me, I think it's been okay with a few really good scores... but it's the older scores that have been released that have taken the limelight for me!
  4. I'd say about half of mine are restrained. But there's a whole bunch that really do let loose.
    Seriously, Galactica Season 4's album is not to be missed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In all honesty, I haven't listened to that one half as much as I should! shame (And I don't know half of them half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of them half as well as they deserve. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I only own about 4-5 CDs from 2009 and heard another 2-3. That's all. I don't like to listen to music on PC or mp3, that limits my knowledge of this year's scores.
    My favourites are Baaría and Avatar - I guess it's not a coincidence since they were composed by my two favourite composers...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Oh yes, I forgot to add Star Trek and Terminator Salvation. Great scores, both of them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    My faves this year would be mostly older titles finally released like The Journey Of Natty Gann, House Of Cards, Wrath Of Khan, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Innerspace, Exodus, The Prince and the Pauper and Back To The Future. I'm impressed with the new ones too like Mao's Last Dancer, Star Trek, Avatar, New Moon etc.
    Pretty darn good year actually! cool

True! It's been a fantastic year for older releases and also fantastic rerecordings, 2010 will really have to go some to top 2009 in that department.

Easily THE two best releases for me are Star Trek The Wrath of Khan and John Barry's Americans ( and yeah, I know thae latter isn't a score but it's by a film composer, so there! tongue wink )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Ah, you can't believe how refreshing it is to read a statement and opinion like that! Thumbs way up for that. kiss After a session at FSM, you sometimes leave with the impression that the world ended in 1975 and everything after that is the bane of humanity.

Do people forget there were less films and so less scores back then? There were plenty of crappy scores back then too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Then stop reading FSM. Seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Do people forget there were less films and so less scores back then? There were plenty of crappy scores back then too.

Very true. 2009 has been a very impressive year for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Then stop reading FSM. Seriously.

The key word was "sometimes" wink

Apart from a small minority of idiots who'll never learn anything as long as their self important egos get in the way, FSM is actually a great place to visit, it's the first board forum I ever registered with ( was it really 10 years ago!? dizzy ) and I made a good group of friends there, Thor included. This is the place I consider my home but it's nice to visit the big bustling nightclub too. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    bhangra
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote

I haven't yet heard any of the Johan Soderqvist's many scores from this year, and I'm sure there'll be some good new material there.

I need to go back to Up (Giacchino). I never saw the film, which I suspect would have cemented my love for it, but on its own I haven't quite gotten into it as much as I did for - say - Ratatouille.

And my favourite musical moment in a film this year? As the strains of 'Labor of Love' fade away, and we see a wide shot of escape pods trailing away from Nero's supersized ship, a snazzy allegro builds up across the orchestra for a fantastic main title reveal in Star Trek. I can't say I went on with the rest of the score - (even within the end credits suite, I get tired of the main theme by the end, let alone listening to the whole score) - but that was a moment of movie magic.

PS. A question: What happened to Philip Glass? A couple of years ago, he was scoring half the prestige films of the year.

The art is alive and well indeed.

About Philip Glass- maybe he's more into composing concert music these days?

You describe that Star Trek moment so well. That film represent really what I like about cinema: a very good script, a perfect cast, excellent music and intelligent entertainment.

About Johan Soderqvist- I'm not sure if Effi Briest is 2009 . It sure involves me as a listener.

Michael, have you heard Die Papsitn by Marcel Barsotti Michael? Really worth it.
  5. I have heard the first few tracks, Tintin, but haven't been able to find myself in the right mood yet for the whole thing. It sounds like Barsotti's 'got the goods' though, from what I've heard.
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Effi is from 2009.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And it's very beautiful which comes as a no-surprise for Johan.
  6. Timmer wrote
    ...FSM is actually a great place to visit...

It certainly is worth visiting for some in-depth film scoring discussions. The trouble is finding the interesting stuff in amongst all the people/music bashing. It's certainly where I get the bulk of my "hard" film music information.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn