• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009
    JNH definitely has a very distinctive sound to my ears. I could tell you if it was a JNH score a mile off! (If it was turned up very loud of course.)

I'd be willing to put my money where my mouth is and suggest someone make a new Guess The Score game with JNH cues randomly chosen amongst other similiar sounding cues.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What, so you could win it?

I think Lee ( LSH ) may have something to say there wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Me? Win? Nooooo, nothing like that.

Although I would because I'm awesome.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Me? Win? Nooooo, nothing like that.

Although I would because I'm awesome.

Afterwards we have a guess the John Barry game with your entire CD collection staked on it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think you might have a gambling problem.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I love gambling! But only small wagers or on 'sure thing's' like when I play pool biggrin wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Prince of Tides, Waterworld, Wyatt Earp
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    sdtom wrote
    Prince of Tides, Waterworld, Wyatt Earp

All of those are really good. But they could easily be by three different composers! Perhaps that's why he's so successful as a film composer... a real chameleon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Other composers could have written scores just as good (well, Prince of Tides I'm not too keen on), but they wouldn't have sounded like JNH. His style is perhaps more of a conglomeration of others than a mishmash; he sounds like JNH, not everyone else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    (If we were talking about John Debney, I could see your point.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Southall wrote
    Zimmer is clearly way out in front of anyone else in terms of influence. Thomas Newman probably leads the chasing pack purely by virtue of American Beauty. John Powell's Bourne scores have been imitated many times. I guess Morricone could go in, but most people who write music that sounds like him are only really doing pastiche of his western music - there aren't many film composers who write "serious" Morricone-like scores. And I'll round out the list by saying Hans Zimmer again, whose influence is so large he surely deserves to be in it twice.

I'd replace Ennio by Glass and agree with everything else.

Zimmer, Newman, Powell, Glass

Most of the scores written today can be classified into one of those 4 categories. And since Desplat has been so prolific he gets to be the 5th category. Nothing else is needed. I rest my case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2009 edited
    I agree that JNH is an excellent chameleon and has certainly scored a wide variety of genres, but I do think he has a voice of his own. It's very subtle but when you listen, especially to his emotional material, there's definitely something stylistically consistent there. His action licks are clearly influenced by Goldsmith - he even claimed that Jerry [was] the best action composer.

Even so, I don't think he's as influential as some of those mentioned here.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    James Newton Howard USED to be a fairly big influence, but I don't think he is anymore. His action/thriller scoring style that came with The Fugitive and followed in Outbreak and Waterworld were indeed influential in the way they combined big orchestra with carefully programmed electronic rhythms and additional electronics.

Howard Shore's work in general is not that big an influence on the whole industry as you would expect from the Lord of the Rings spectacle. He does have a distinct style of his own (long, brooding minor chords, dense orchestrations and very understated thematic writing), but you don't hear this sneaking into many other composers' scores...

I wonder if John Powell isn't more influential than Shore, but solely because of that effective riff from the Bourne films.

mc
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Thor wrote

I think we need to specify whether we're talking INFLUENTIAL or MOST IMPORTANT/HIGH PROFILE. These are not one and the same, even though they converge in some cases (like Williams or Zimmer).

Biggest impact. However you interpret that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009
    Panthera wrote
    Thor wrote

I think we need to specify whether we're talking INFLUENTIAL or MOST IMPORTANT/HIGH PROFILE. These are not one and the same, even though they converge in some cases (like Williams or Zimmer).

Biggest impact. However you interpret that.

"Biggest impact" is an ambigous term. It could mean BOTH of the aforementioned.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    About Howard Shore, I do think his LOTR scores have been very influential for modern fantasy scores. It first of all seemed to restart the hype of using all kinds of vocals in film scores in a certain way, and most recently Avatar seems at times inspired by Rings (Clemensen even mentions this in his review).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't think I've heard LOTR influences in other scores. (If anything, the bits of Avatar that sound vaguely like LOTR really just sound like the Horner scores which were part of the inspiration for Shore's work on LOTR.)
  1. What about using multiple vocalists and choral ensembles in Avatar?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. BobdH wrote
    (Clemensen even mentions this in his review).

There's not many facts on this earth that don't come up in that review.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What about using multiple vocalists and choral ensembles in Avatar?

That's a fair point - at first I thought, surely LOTR wasn't the first such score - but then I thought for a while and couldn't think of an earlier one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I did find it interesting that Howard got no mention at all. I guess "Signs," "King Kong," etc. are not influential enough.
    Thomas

Not very many mentions of Thomas Newman either, I would place Newman second only to Zimmer in modern influence.

Agree. His sound is everywhere, especially amidst younger composers. Mentioned him twice!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    About Howard Shore, I do think his LOTR scores have been very influential for modern fantasy scores. It first of all seemed to restart the hype of using all kinds of vocals in film scores in a certain way, and most recently Avatar seems at times inspired by Rings (Clemensen even mentions this in his review).

Is there any influence on this world someone didn't already attribute to AVATAR? rolleyes I don't find anything remotely-LOTR-esque in Avatar. It's all Horner.

Except if Shore took the place of Wagner all of a sudden in musical history.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    moviescore wrote
    James Newton Howard USED to be a fairly big influence, but I don't think he is anymore. His action/thriller scoring style that came with The Fugitive and followed in Outbreak and Waterworld were indeed influential in the way they combined big orchestra with carefully programmed electronic rhythms and additional electronics.

Howard Shore's work in general is not that big an influence on the whole industry as you would expect from the Lord of the Rings spectacle. He does have a distinct style of his own (long, brooding minor chords, dense orchestrations and very understated thematic writing), but you don't hear this sneaking into many other composers' scores...

I wonder if John Powell isn't more influential than Shore, but solely because of that effective riff from the Bourne films.

mc

Powell's BOURNE riffs are everywhere. But from all the body of his work, nothing else really stands out as influential as that.

As for JNH, i'd agree; apart his trademarked woodwind riffs a la SIGNS which have influenced a number of people, his action scoring sounds more Zimmerish than ever nowadays. A sad fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm sure The Beatles must have influenced Avatar too, come to think of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I did find it interesting that Howard got no mention at all. I guess "Signs," "King Kong," etc. are not influential enough.
    Thomas

Great scores, but I can't seem to trace much influence from JNH to other composers out there, as great a composer as he might be. There's that whole "sleazy sensuality" thing that he does so well in thrillers and stuff, but that was really a benchmark created by Goldsmith's BASIC INSTINCT. In fact, JNH has many Goldsmith licks in his resume, combined with some Zimmer-ish uses of the orchestra here and there. He's one of my favourites, but I would hardly call him influential.

Agreed. I'd put JNH much more in the "influenced" category than "influential". I'm still not sure I really know what his "sound" is. Maybe it's the Shyamalan scores, which share similar traits, but his other scores generally don't. Perhaps that's one reason I can have a harder time connecting with his music than many other people seem to - virtually all my favourite composers (film or otherwise) have absolutely distinctive sounds.

The sound he created for the SHYAMALAN scores is very influential, and i'd argue that sound has formed and characterized his larger body of work in general, in his post 2000 era.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    Agreed. I'd put JNH much more in the "influenced" category than "influential". I'm still not sure I really know what his "sound" is. Maybe it's the Shyamalan scores, which share similar traits, but his other scores generally don't. Perhaps that's one reason I can have a harder time connecting with his music than many other people seem to - virtually all my favourite composers (film or otherwise) have absolutely distinctive sounds.

The sound he created for the SHYAMALAN scores is very influential, and i'd argue that sound has formed and characterized his larger body of work in general, in his post 2000 era.

What other scores sound like the Shyamalan ones?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not LIKE the Shyamalan scores. But the woodwinds' arpeggio trademarked style he has developed for Signs and Shyamalan's scores in general, is frequently used in other film scores, but it's not as evident as - say, the Zimmer influences in others'. You have to hear carefully to trace them.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm sure The Beatles must have influenced Avatar too, come to think of it.

Why not? They've influenced everything else!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They invented music didn't they?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes.