• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Top Ten Overrated Scores of the 2000s:

10) Avatar - James Horner

Yes, I feel that Avatar was a let down, only for the non Navi tribal bits pulling down the score. With the Na'vi cues, the score becomes much more enjoyable and interesting with this mystical world being created musically. I also felt that "War" without the chorus was a bit shallow to listen to, and the album needed a proper ending to it. Considering he had a year to perfect the score (like Howard Shore perfect), the end result can leave you wondering what went wrong...

9) Atlantis: The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

I just didn't connect with this score as much as I would have expected. The action bits are good if a bit standard by Newton Howard standards. The choral cues are reminiscent of The Abyss, but that does not mean that is bad. I guess the thing that connect with me was the lack of memorability in its primary theme (compared with the great theme from Dinosaur the year before) and the somewhat inconsistent album.

8) Children of Dune - Brian Tyler

Holy track temp, Batman! Is this Gladiator Mark II? That being said, Tyler does a decent job of arranging the influences and making the score attractive enough to listen to. If you wanted a ruckus, look for it in parts of this score. What sinks this score to the overrated status, is the album presentation which is 77 minutes in 35 cues. The first half of the album is great but after that the cues which grow less interesting lowering to filler by the end.

7) Far From Heaven - Elmer Bernstein

I understand that this score was a nostalgic flash from the past with the jazzy sounds of the 1950s, but I just didn't see this score as a highlight of Elmer Bernstein's career. My expectations were probably too high. I do enjoy piano-y scores, I really do, but there's something about this one that doesn't pull me in. To say that this score is just as good as Frankie Starlight and To Kill A Mockingbird is definitely a stretch, but it's not bad; it's just overrated.

6) Stardust - Ilan Eskheri

The problem with this score is that its too generic in its writing; nothing new or fresh. There are scores that take influences and become better and rise above them (Andrew Lockington's Journey to the Center of the Earth). Stardust doesn't feel like that at all. There is not alot of thematic material or specific terrific moments to be remembered here. It's just a generic fantasy score for 60 minutes; exactly what you expect. But if you don't like surprises, dive in!

5) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - John Williams

First of all, my respect for John Williams is unquestionable, and my enjoyment of The Sorcerer's Stone was vast. When I listened to the Chamber of Secrets, I was disappointed. Even with the new themes, it felt like a rehash. Everything seems almost too predictable, probably because of the use of instrumentation (or we know how John Williams writes). Between Stone and Azakaban, Chamber is the weakest entry in Harry Potter by John Williams.

4) King Arthur - Hans Zimmer

If you created a list of purely loud scores, this would rank comfortably in the top 20. I actually felt tired listening with all the drums pounding and rhythms moving but never really going anywhere meaningful. The few subtle moments there are offer some promise but not enough, and the psuedo Gladiator song isn't bad. The best cue by far is the 10 minute finale, after listening to 50 minutes of either pounding loud or unsatisfying quiet.

3) Up - Michael Giacchino

If I had a choice of either Ratatouille or Up being Giacchino's first Oscar win, I would without hesitation pick Ratatouille. It's more stylized and has alot more substance. The one cue that sold mostly everyone is "Married Life", but for me, beyond that the score didn't have as big an impact on me as Ratatouille. Up certainly does not deserve all the attention that it got; it's like awarding the most not undeserving score rather than the most deserving score.

2) Mission to Mars - Ennio Morricone

The first couple of cues are easy listening with the love theme, but there's no sense of important or significant in the music. The shrieking dissonance heard through most of the score is completely and bordering on the verge of un-listenable in parts. If there would have been a more consistent approach to the score, my rating would be different. However, for all these elements, Mission to Mars remains one of the most overrated scores of Ennio's career.

1) The Golden Compass - Alexandre Desplat

Never has a fantasy score (the average fantasy score has a certain warmth to it to invite the listener in) felt so cold to my ears. The score never draws attention to itself, you could be listening to it for an hour, working on the computer, and then you realize it's over. And that's a bit damning considering Desplat's efforts to address the vast thematic needs of the movie (coming up with 9 or so themes, but none of them are particularly memorable in their own right). It's ironic that the atmospheric bits are a bit more interesting than the full scale action bits. This is one score that's for the critics and deserved its ranking as the most overrated score of the 2000s.

Top Ten Underrated Scores of the 2000s:

10) The Visitor by Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

I was highly impressed with this score because of how well it keeps the music low key. The music is serene and peaceful, with the orchestrations being piano driven with small string orchestra (much like the Oscar winner Finding Neverland). Everything with how The Visitor is written is subtle and intelligent. The CD is certainly a very pleasant and consistent musical experience.

9) Couples Retreat by A.R. Rahman

This score is one of the most entertaining scores that I have heard in a while. There is a cool mix of three musical flavours, such as Hindu vocals, a Latin band, and a Western orchestra. The way the different cultural elements are put together and quite lovely, and they will pull you in with their vast enthusiasm. Think there`s no creativity in the bland film music world of 2009, try this!

8) World Trade Centre by Craig Armstrong

If you only know Craig Armstrong for his loud works, then you should probably try this score. Armstrong works in a simplistic but moving main theme which is utilized by all of the orchestra (including a lovely vocal cue). This score is very minimalist, with the brass is sparingly used. But in the end, it is an extremely poignant work and tribute to the tragic day that was 9,11,2001.

7) Lover,s Prayer by Joel McNeely

Perhaps it is not totally fair to say this score is underrated but rather unheralded. This score is for classical music appreciators. Joel McNeely finally pens a dramatic score that is not totally for some kiddie or simply loud movie. John Williams only pops up with vague influences here and there. I can say that this score would make Georges Delerue proud with its reflective manner.

6) Anacondas: Hunt for the Blood Orchid by Nerida Tyson-Chew

The creativity in how she made the sound layered and the atmosphere is created for making it feel like a jungle is very good. A vast wall of sound is created for the brutal horror parts with chopping strings, blaring brass and pounding percussion. Between the jungle atmospherics, the fast rhythms, and the orchestral depth, Nerida shows that only noise in horror is good.

5) Frost Nixon by Hans Zimmer

Given that the big score that year for Zimmer was The Dark Knight, it seems appropriate that Frost Nixon was largely forgotten (but largely outshines its rival). The refreshing thing about this score is that there are no themes, only constant and intelligent rhythms to move the score a sense of urgency and activity. This ranks in the top 5 of best Hans Zimmer scores of the 2000s.

4) The Time Machine by Klaus Badelt

On pure entertainment value alone, The Time Machine ranks as one of the best listens in that year with its two halves; one delightfully harmonic and multitudinous melodic, and the one wonderfully ethnic and more sinister. The originality police might have a problem with the main theme being close to The Edge, but the main theme that Badelt wrote is the better one, IMHO.

3) 9 by Deborah Lurie

Again, this score contains a small amount of theme and development. However, the attraction of this score is the modern and very dynamic action underscore and the dark pseudo apocalyptic material, with an emotional and uplifting finale cue. Deborah Lurie shows that she is a talent to be watched in the future. If you liked Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, maybe you should try this.

2) Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit by Juilan Nott & Co

As I have said before, this score is EXTREMELY(!) entertaining and charming. It contains a multitude of themes including: the famous title theme, the Anti-Pesto fanfare, the love melody, the villain theme, Were-Rabbit motif, etc). The score also adds some tongue-in-cheek moments, a fair allotment of rip-roaring action music, and lastly bits of adventure and suspense underscore. If you liked Chicken Run, go for this one too.

1) All The Pretty Horses by Marty Stuart, Kristin Wilkinson, and Larry Paxton

Just because its modern does not mean it ignores the past. ATPH certainly does not forget its past with great homages to the classic western scores. The thematic material is somewhat simplistic as you might expect but with orchestral touches, the themes come alive. Much of the score is guitar driven with a subtle orchestral touch, but there are alot of moments to take delight in. There is also a mix of intelligent Mexican style into this score which works great. For its personality and consistent nature, All The Pretty Horses definitely deserves to be ranked as one of the best scores of the year and of the decade. It is one of my personal favourite scores ever.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010 edited
    My 10 Least Favourite Highly Rated Scores of the 2000s:

[I dunno, I can't be bothered to make a list. I just wanted to make a point about how much I hate the word "overrated". With a passion]

Or perhaps "10 Highly Rated Scores I Don't Enjoy"
  2. Kevin, it is with some pride that I can say that I'm responsible for some of those underrated scores being underrated. biggrin (Although not ALL THE PRETTY HORSES - that's a wonderful score.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. To the OP, I agree completely about Up and disagree completely about Avatar. I'm still mystified as to how the former completely overshadowed the latter during Award Season...
  4. I did enjoy Couple's Retreat a lot. That's a good little score.

I've been trying to come up with an 'overrated" (sorry, Steven) list, but there are too many variables there, so I'll just say one score: Yared's Troy. First let me say that I think it is a fine score. That said, this score is so universally lauded in the film score community and while I think it is good, I don't think it's quite as good as everyone else. If it hadn't been rejected I think it wouldn't be so well liked.

Here's my list of my favorite scores from the 2000s that I don't think are as well known or praised as they deserve to be.

10. Dragonfly - Debney. Sure it sounds a LOT like unbreakable, but this is a solid score with an outstanding finale. I think it's one of the best things Debney has written (I would put that finale up there with Cutthroat Island and the better parts of the Passion).

9. Racing Stripes - Isham. I do think this score is generally well liked (which is why I put it #9 instead of higher), but not often talked about. I don't see it often when discussions of Isham come up, or inspiring sports scores, and I think it's one of the best examples of both of those categories. Again, the finale is amazing - multiple awesome themes, each one better than the last. Fantastic!

8. Big Fish - Elfman. Again, a well liked and respected score, generally, but overshadowed (undeservedly, I think) by much of Elfman's other post 2000 scores.

7. Blizzard - McKenzie. Maybe this one isn't overlooked by us, but it's certainly not known by anybody else. For that reason, and this scores sheer awesomeness, it makes the list.

6. Love, Actually - Armstrong. If there were more to this score it would be higher on the list. It's short, but really great. The last couple tracks are among the finest of the decade, imo.

5. Merry Christmas - Rombi. Not as talked about as Angel or Un Homme... but nearly as good as those two.

4. Wah Wah - Doyle. The score is as gorgeous as its title is ridiculous. One of my favorite scores by Doyle ever. Not talked about by many.

3. The Claim - Nyman. If you haven't heard it, you'd better fix that. Even those put off by minimalism will enjoy this I think. It's a powerful score.

2. Ladies in Lavender - Hess. Who is this guy and why doesn't he score more films? This score is pure beauty.

1. The Last Sin Eater - At least as good as Garcia Lorca and Blizzard (but much less well known), loaded with gorgeous, soaring themes, perfectly orchestrated, heartbreakingly sad and then triumphant. I love this score.

There's my list!

-Christopher
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010
    Christopher, i can't agree with you enough! WAH-WAH especially is stunning.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010 edited
    King Arthur is Overrated by Who? If it has terrible reviews.

I could put King Arthur in the underrated ones. tongue

Anyway, I could put any Alexander Desplat score in the Overrated category.
  5. To me King Arthur is the most overrated Zimmer score. Ever.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2010
    I think every score ever written is overrated. Just look at how many forums, review sites and fans there are dedicated to the art!

OVERRATED!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Imagine the word said by a Dalek.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    To the OP, I agree completely about Up and disagree completely about Avatar. I'm still mystified as to how the former completely overshadowed the latter during Award Season...

What he said.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Imagine the word said by a Dalek.

applause
    I can't stop hearing that now!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    To me King Arthur is the most overrated Zimmer score. Ever.

Love it, it's pure unashamed fun. If you're going to accept 80's action movie fans' anticipation for EXPANDABLES, then it's the same thing with this score and Zimmer lovers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Opinions are overrated IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    I can't really grasp how a score that's just described as 'fun', can be overrated. Given the enormous praise, and awards, for AVATAR, with people calling the themes great, the workings of them within the film genius, and such, I can see how that would be 'overrated' (if you want to use this term). But KING ARTHUR has hardly ever been called a good score, it's just a lot of fun.

Just the same I think TRANSFORMERS is a lame and bland score, apart from a few good cues, but if there are a lot of people that have fun with it, fine. I wouldn't place it with 'overrated' scores. If a lot of people would call it a good and original piece, 'among MV's best', and all, yeah, then it would be overrated smile.

I enjoy the 'underrated' lists a lot more by the way - instead of bashing people's opinions, it invites to discover scores you might have lost out on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I don't like the way the word "overrated" disguises itself as an objective statement implying all other subjective opinions are wrong.

"I love Avatar, in my opinion it's an excellent score."

"You're overrating it. That means you're wrong."

"Oh."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think it's nowhere near as strong.
    In fact, it may be the basis of some really interesting exchange of minds:

"I cannot understand why people seem to like Avatar. I think it's extremely overrated!"
    "Interesting. Why would you think that?"
    "Well, for example <reason A> and <reason B>"
    "But surely <counterargument 1> and <point 2>"
    etc.

No problem in my book.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, well your book's overrated.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interesting. Why would you think that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    'Cause it has too many words in it. The above discussion should be:

"Avatar is overrated and or / sucks"
    -->Ban and / or "fuck you".

(ring any bells biggrin)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    "I cannot understand why people seem to like Avatar. I think it's extremely overrated!"
    etc.

If someone doesn't like Avatar like I do, then I see no good counter-argument I could give to persuade them of otherwise. I love it because, well, I love it: I love the melodies, the instruments, the harmonies, the use of themes, the emotion. But stating that doesn't give anyone else a good reason to share my feelings towards the score. They can either agree with it, or disagree with it. I don't see how they can describe my affection for a particular score as "overrating" it and to be able to give reasons why.

As soon as you describe something as overrated, really you're disagreeing with objective statements made about the score, like "This is the best score ever made. Fact." But those types of comments are few and far beyond, and most reviews and comments on scores are inherently subjective, even if the choice of language doesn't necessarily imply subjectivity.

If you're going to accuse something as being overrated, ideally I'd like to see examples of where and how it's been overrated and why you think those particular objective statements are wrong. Otherwise it's an invalid statement with no real meaning apart from 'I don't like this score as much as others seem to.'
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Alright, to make a contribution to this thread as well, I tried to compile a 'underrated' list myself. I left out some scores that do have their own club of fans and of which I understand why they never appealed to a broad audience (Youth Without Youth, There Will Be Blood), and a few that should be getting more attention but it's too early to see what they'll be doing (Tetro, The Killing Room). Although... I started out that way. But ultimately, I did find myself adding scores that I love and wished would be mentioned more - or get more recognition - even though I can see why it's not for everyone.

For the list, I merely seeked out scores that are rarely talked about and seem to have been forgotten, as opposed to scores that regularly still get bashed or people don't like it (even I do).

10. Howard Shore - The Cell (2000)
    And there you go - the one I should leave out (first time I heard the opening, I thought it was just plain noise) but I've come to appreciate the brilliance. It's probably one of Shore's most inventive works - using Turkish influences and combining them with Goldenthal-esque dissonances in a brutally avant-gardish way. The result? An incredibly intense, captivating and - yes! - scary listening experience. Haunting.

9. Alberto Iglesias - Che (2008)
    Sure, it got some awards recognition (thank you, IFMCA, for the nomination), but both film(s) and score were greatly dismissed. Alberto brilliantly uses elements from Goldsmith, Argentinan music and his own to create a score that's as psychological as it is experimental. A great achievement that's, however, not for everyone (this list will get more accessible along the way - promise).

8. Javier Navarrete - Fireflies in the Garden (2008)
    You like haunting melodies? A meditative mood? Achingly beautiful piano pieces? Arvo Partian echoes? This is for you. Srsly. It's one of the scores that convince me this guy is one of the biggest talents stepping in the American arena.

7. Rachel Portman - Beloved (right before 2000)
    Rachel's best score to date, especially since it doesn't sound like her. At all. No strings, no western orchestrations - just ethnic sounds and a hauntingly beautiful children's choir. Why nobody talks about this? Beyond me.

6. Christopher Young - Bless the Child (2000)
    Arguably his best horror score since his Hellraiser achievement. It's not as modern as The Cell, but, although you can't deny it's experimental nature, basically rather classic in its chore. The final Lux Aeterna is probably one of the most score-gasmic moments Young ever delivered.

5. Gustavo Santaolalla - Diarios de Motocicleta (2004)
    Probably overlooked because of Gustavo's bad rep (21 Grams didn't do him much favours) but this is probably the best thing he ever did. A more lush and melodic counterpart to its darker brother Che, this shares some similarities. However, it's also more exotic, expressive, while not losing its melancholic side.

4. Tomandandy - Mean Creek (2004)
    I never heard anything these guys had done before, but their cello based score really struck a chord with me in the film. Achingly beautiful, strikingly personal and just perfect for its film. The songs ain't half bad, either. Well, the final one, at least.

3. Antonio Pinto - Lord of War (2005)
    Why did we forget about this one? I can't even remember if this was well talked about upon its release? A perfect blend of electronic and organic instruments, this is melancholic all the way, but not without its more uplifting moments.

2. Thomas Newman - The Good German (2007)
    It's gotten some respect for what it is - a throwback to golden age filmscoring - but it might be the presentation on album that keeps people from loving this. However, it's among the most impressive things Tommy has done. Setting his own style aside almost completely, he really gave the film exactly what it needed, with some great themes to boot.

1. Javier Navarrete - Cracks (2009)
    Alright, relatively new, but why is this not received with the same enthusiasm Desplat normally receives? It's got compositions and instrumentations that would put any modern filmcomposer to shame and a consistent quality as well. And while I can see Fireflies in the Garden is a little slow for most, this one is sweeping and rich in its textures. On a more personal note, I find this emotionally more engaging than a Desplat score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    etc.

If someone doesn't like Avatar like I do, then I see no good counter-argument I could give to persuade them of otherwise.

No, of course not. But it IS a good starting point to understand the reasons for an opinion like that.
    Like you say yourself:
    If you're going to accuse something as being overrated, ideally I'd like to see examples of where and how it's been overrated and why you think those particular objective statements are wrong. Otherwise it's an invalid statement with no real meaning apart from 'I don't like this score as much as others seem to.'

Surely that leads into a potentially good discussion on points of personal taste and what constitutes something that can be classified as 'good' or 'bad'. Even though it will unlikely change someone's opinion, it's a metadiscussion I tend to find generally more interesting than
    "I like it"
    "Oh. I don't"
    "Oh."
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bob, Pretty good selections there; i frequently revisit most of those...the Cell is brilliant; it's Howard Shore doing Goldenthal better than Goldenthal and i'd advice anyone who's into this kind of music but not familiar with it yet, to look it up. Cracks is beautiful, really beautiful, especially the latter half of the album. I am surprised it didn't get the attention it deserved 'cause usually, this type of music does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    christopher wrote
    3. The Claim - Nyman. If you haven't heard it, you'd better fix that. Even those put off by minimalism will enjoy this I think. It's a powerful score.

Good to be reminded of this one again, thanks! I love Nyman (or, a lot of what he's done, to be accurate - he also did things that are way too artsy for my tastes and I can't connect with it) but have never heard this one. Will hunt it down!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...and shoot it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bob, Pretty good selections there; i frequently revisit most of those...the Cell is brilliant; it's Howard Shore doing Goldenthal better than Goldenthal and i'd advice anyone who's into this kind of music but not familiar with it yet, to look it up. Cracks is beautiful, really beautiful, especially the latter half of the album. I am surprised it didn't get the attention it deserved 'cause usually, this type of music does.

Thanks! beer
    Had you heard Fireflies already? I remember you were once about to seek it out... but forgotten whether you had heard it already or not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    ...and shoot it?

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    etc.

If someone doesn't like Avatar like I do, then I see no good counter-argument I could give to persuade them of otherwise.

No, of course not. But it IS a good starting point to understand the reasons for an opinion like that.
    Like you say yourself:

Surely that leads into a potentially good discussion on points of personal taste and what constitutes something that can be classified as 'good' or 'bad'. Even though it will unlikely change someone's opinion, it's a metadiscussion I tend to find generally more interesting than
    "I like it"
    "Oh. I don't"
    "Oh."
    smile

I don't mind so much if someone said "I think Avatar is a bad score." I'd disagree with that person vehemently, and interesting discussion would surely ensue, but the statement I'd have no real problem with. Unlike 'overrated', it doesn't imply that others' affection towards the score is wrong. If they had said "Avatar is a bad score", then admittedly I'd have a little bit more of a problem with the statement than the former, but unlike 'overrated' it still doesn't imply that others are wrong to like that particular score. 'Overrated' inherently comes with implications that are hard to back up!

Maybe I'm over thinking it... but I'm just not a fan of the word. spin