• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010 edited
    Chris Young's The Fly II has been a nice suprise too. Much better than what the film deserves.

I agree on Goldenthal's Alien 3 and In Dreams, both having very beautifully crafted melodies, yet borderline schizophrenic, as the disonnance is also present. I like 'em especially for this duality.

The Fury by Williams, top notch. Haunting to say the least.

And let me add Goldsmith's The Haunting as well, not all of it is great, but some standout cues make my neck hairs stand up!!

Timmer, no love for Poltergeist II though, the score sounds like it was written for a family film. It does absolutely nothing for me.

Alien, that's another story. I used to not like it at all, but that was then and this is now. It definitely has a huge impact in the film, where the creepy nature of the music enhances the overall mood.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    I'll throw Bernard's Horror of Dracula into the mix. Another scary non soundtrack piece is Night On The Bald Mountain
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I'll throw Bernard's Horror of Dracula into the mix. Another scary non soundtrack piece is Night On The Bald Mountain
    Thomas

It's hard to get more 'gothic horror' than James Bernard's superb scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    a very underappreciated master composer
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sad but true Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    I don't really like horror scores, especially those that are very traditional with lots of stingers and sneaking-around music. However, I do appreciate what I label "delicious darkness", scores that approach the subject matter in a more romantic idiom. Stuff like Young's HELLRAISER, Williams' THE FURY, Goldenthal's IN DREAMS or many of Marco Beltrami's horror scores.

I'm with you Thor, out and out horror scores do very little for me.

But you do seem to like the old Hammer horror stuff? Isn't that kinda traditional? (it's an actual question, not a rhetorical one, as I'm largely unfamiliar with the genre).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010 edited
    There's a lot of gothic romance in the Hammer scores, full of rich full blooded ( pun not intended ) music and mostly very thematic, particularly the scores of James Bernard but also some fantastic ( and largely unreleased ) scores from the likes of Harry Robinson, David Whitaker and Franz Reizenstein.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    There's a lot of gothic romance in the Hammer scores, full of rich full blooded ( pun not intended ) music and mostly very thematic, particularly the scores of James Bernard but also some fantastic ( and largely unreleased ) scores from the likes of Harry Robinson, David Whitaker and Franz Reizenstein.

Hmmm....OK. Guess I've heard the wrong Hammer scores, then (as I said, my knowledge is limited in this area).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    Bernard indeed is quite atonal. That's why he was specifically asked to tone that down in Taste The Blood Of Dracula, which remains my favourite Dracula score by him (even though his original theme for Horror Of Dracula remains unsurpassed to my mind. Very scary, and properly gothic!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010 edited
    Did anyone mention Kilar's Bram Stoker's Dracula yet? If not I'll be the first. Another score that can give some willies if you're not prepared for it. ('The Ring of Fire'). punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    DreamTheater wrote
    Did anyone mention Kilar's Bram Stoker's Dracula yet? If not I'll be the first.

You beat me to it! I was about to type it! slant
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Sorry, I don't normally beat anyone to anything. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    DreamTheater wrote
    Sorry, I don't normally beat anyone to anything. shame

kiss Godess Stavi
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Did anyone mention Kilar's Bram Stoker's Dracula yet? If not I'll be the first. Another score that can give some willies if you're not prepared for it. ('The Ring of Fire'). punk

It's a little too minimalistic for my taste, but it has a couple of very nice cues.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote

Simply great, indeed. A huge omission from the list 'till now! I'd also add Philip Glass' dracula with the Kronos Quartet.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Eric Serra's GOLDENEYE?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    biggrin

For a second, I've hesitated. Just for a second.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I'd also add Philip Glass' dracula with the Kronos Quartet.

Why?
    It's not a bit horrific.

(Annoying, yes. Anachronistic, yes. Horrific, no.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Like you'd say anything positive about Glass wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It keeps the frost off of his tulips.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It would have been positive if I'd said it were horrific? shocked

wink

No, but seriously, it's not a scary score. Not a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's very upsetting, frantic in places. Love the Kronos quartet performance. It's not the standardized horror film scoring as we know it but i think it's pretty genuine and interesting an approach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Simply great, indeed. A huge omission from the list 'till now! I'd also add Philip Glass' dracula with the Kronos Quartet.

Omission? It was one of the first to be mentioned...

BobdH wrote
    Williams' Jaws and Dracula don't count?

Anyhow, Goldsmith's Omen trilogy and Poltergeist, Young's two Hellraiser scores and equally impressive Bless the Child, Kamen's Event Horizon, Goldenthal's In Dreams, Kilar's Dracula, are for me the scores that spring to mind first.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    It's very upsetting, frantic in places. Love the Kronos quartet performance. It's not the standardized horror film scoring as we know it but i think it's pretty genuine and interesting an approach.

Yeah, but if you go down that route, you could also include John Williams' Dracula, which is far more Romantic than scary (although it is rather frenetic in places).

So I guess the question is: do you seek a good, scary score, or a good score that just happens to be supporting a horror film?

(And yes, it's genuine Glass, more's the pity, and no, it's not an interesting approach. Arpeggios following arpeggios, with some more arpeggios for good measure. Blech. Hateful score, on CD, and even MORE so in context.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Um... most things by Harry Gregson-Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Most Things sounds like an excellent title for a horror film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Steven wrote

Except for The Number 23, though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

A kind of sequel to King's Needful Things where the Devil is a bit more limiting on peoples wishes? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

Is it better than the number 22?

Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

A kind of sequel to King's Needful Things where the Devil is a bit more limiting on peoples wishes? wink

applause beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    BobdH wrote
    Steven wrote

Is it better than the number 22?

A little, but it's not nearly half as good as The Number 50.

Which reminds me... Howard Shore's Se7en really should get a proper release, it's a brooding and haunting mood piece that really gets under your skin.