• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The case for:

- Star Wars trilogy scores
    - Papillon
    - Dances with Wolves
    - BSG, Season 4, Disc 2
    - Planet Earth and Blue Planet (Fenton) (as yet, unreleased)
    - Quite a few of the classic scores in their more recent recordings... Vertigo, Fahrenheit 451, Private Life of Sherlock Holmes...
    - Conan the Barbarian
    - Capricon One

The case against:

- The Lord of the Rings: The Complete Recordings
    - many Morricone scores
    - Lost, Season 3, Disc 2
    - Basic Instinct (let alone some of the Goldsmiths that have received 'the treatment'!)
    - Mysterious Island (for Erik)
    - Just so we can have a Williams title, let's go out on a limb and say ET works slightly better in its shorter album form.

All a matter of opinion, of course. However CD expansion remains for me as much a cause of trepidation as it is for celebration...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010
    Thor's gonna love this.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    It's particularly bad with Morricone. There are new releases again and again, called the "definite edition", but almost all of them simply add a few inedits, that barely sound different than the tracks we already had. Usually one just has to wait a couple of years before yet another "definite edition" of the same score is released. Stop calling it definite!!

Luckily there are companies like FSM, that actually make an effort out of their releases, instead of simply trying to milk money out of collectors with pointless releases.

About LOTR, a part of me is happy that the complete releases got released, but strangely it seems to have taken some of the magic and fun out of it, as it now feels almost like a chore to get through these albums. Still, overall there is music I'm glad to have that wasn't on the old releases, so overall I applaud the releases.

Peter smile
  2. I'll have to think about this one.

I do have to agree with the complete recordings for The Lord of The Rings being in the "against" list. Although I do think that it is good to have then available - and I'd always vote for expanded releases - I have yet to listen to any of these Shire-based expanded scores from beginning to end. So, from a listening experience, it's a "no" vote.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    An interesting one. I think, for me, most of the time a long release is a good thing as I've now got in the habit of editing and creating my own playlists; the more music there is, the more chance I have of creating the kind of album I enjoy and want to hear. On the other hand, not everyone is so inclined to create their own playlists and edits and might just forget about the score thanks to an overly long album, which is an utter shame if there's some genuinely good music to be heard. So it's a bit of a double edged sword really.

I'm not sure I would put disc 2 of Lost season 3 in the 'against list' since the album comes with a normal disc. It's more of a bonus 'here it is if you want' kind of deal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    An interesting one. I think, for me, most of the time a long release is a good thing as I've now got in the habit of editing and creating my own playlists; the more music there is, the more chance I have of creating the kind of album I enjoy and want to hear. On the other hand, not everyone is so inclined to create their own playlists and edits and might just forget about the score thanks to an overly long album, which is an utter shame if there's some genuinely good music to be heard. So it's a bit of a double edged sword really.

That's a good point. A lot of people say "of course more is better, because then you can make your own playlist" - I assume not many of those people work 50+ hours a week and have wives/children etc to look after. When I was at university I would happily have created all my own playlists from the unlistenable Brian Tyler albums which are released - now, I don't have time to do it. So I never listen to any Brian Tyler albums. There's a moral somewhere in that story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am with Southall as well; paying for CD means you also cover the expenses of an album music producer; well they should do their jobs, not us. In every score there’s material that simply isn’t good for a listening experience on cd, outside the movie it accompanies. What's the point of having that too?

I don’t have a problem with expanded releases don't take me wrong and there's a huge market for these and the limited edition business, labels have found the hen with the golden egg; but I personally don’t have the energy and time to do the editing myself; I usually prefer the official releases, like in LAIR for instance where the iTunes release is what I play and almost never the huge one. Same goes of course for lotr.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    I'm not sure I would put disc 2 of Lost season 3 in the 'against list' since the album comes with a normal disc. It's more of a bonus 'here it is if you want' kind of deal.

I agree, but as I was discussing on FSM yesterday, if they do two discs they need to make sure it's two discs of interesting music.

Lord of the Rings on the other hand...I'm still in shock that I ran just over a half marathon and I still had 50 minutes left when I finished. Nuts. Still glad to have it all though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I really like the trend where the studio album is paired with an expanded release.
    Now that is properly the best of both worlds.

For the rest I'm completely with Southall (except the Tyler part. I like Tyler. And the Frankenstein part. I really like Frankenstein. And most other things Southall says. But he's right here). I simply have the time to go on creating playlists for each and every score that passes my desk or PC. So if I'm not cauht at the first -say- three tracks, out it goes.

And it's likely this happens a lot, to the detriment of the occasional potentially fine score that should have been trimmed from 114 minutes to 28.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting point: why do you say you're glad to have the LOTR completes if you aren't factually going to listen to those again and you'll opt for the much more coherent as listening experiences-official cd's? What's the "liking" for if you played it once and even that was almost unbearable? Just to have it sitting on the shelve? Not that that would make any harm, just asking smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    I really like the trend where the studio album is paired with an expanded release.

It is (other than usually meaning a higher price, but I can live with that because it's higher quality).

The other thing I've said many times would be good would be to present the score in the best possible way, and then put the rest of the music either as bonus tracks, or downloadable content, with instructions on how to program it into film order for those who want it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    ... instructions on how to program it into film order for those who want it.

Now that is a really good idea.
    It would still involve the need for proper editors and producers to get a listenable product out there with some informed information on film sequencing, yet would offer those with too much time and obsessive behaviour on their hands and minds the opportunity to edit to their heart's content.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote

For the rest I'm completely with Southall (except the Tyler part. I like Tyler. And the Frankenstein part. I really like Frankenstein. And most other things Southall says. But he's right here). I simply have the time to go on creating playlists for each and every score that passes my desk or PC. So if I'm not cauht at the first -say- three tracks, out it goes.

And it's likely this happens a lot, to the detriment of the occasional potentially fine score that should have been trimmed from 114 minutes to 28.

I like that concept too especially with Mancini
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Interesting point: why do you say you're glad to have the LOTR completes if you aren't factually going to listen to those again and you'll opt for the much more coherent as listening experiences-official cd's? What's the "liking" for if you played it once and even that was almost unbearable? Just to have it sitting on the shelve? Not that that would make any harm, just asking smile

I think it's just the security of knowing I can listen to four hours of music if I want to. It's better than only being able to listen to forty minutes and not having the option of listening to more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thing is 99% you'll never want to; you're living for the 1% illusion of security; just like with an 800-dollar worth "security door" that is still breachable wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And that's why I work in CCTV...we don't sell CCTV, we sell peace of mind. And it sells! wink
  3. Anthony wrote
    I think it's just the security of knowing I can listen to four hours of music if I want to. It's better than only being able to listen to forty minutes and not having the option of listening to more.

I wouldn't say it's "security" but it is just knowing that it's there if I ever wanted to listen to it. If I have it I'm bound to want to listen to it sometime in the next 20 years!

Same reason I would not want to get rid of a CD that I, at the moment, don't like. My tastes are likely to change in the future.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The case for:

When a "songtrack" only has one (maybe two) score tracks from a score that has far, far more to offer beyond that theme.

The case against:

Everything else.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    The case for:

When a "songtrack" only has one (maybe two) score tracks from a score that has far, far more to offer beyond that theme.

I've read that sentence about four times and I still don't know what you mean? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    The case for:

I've read that sentence about four times and I still don't know what you mean? confused

When a soundtrack that is mostly SONGS contains only a cut or two of score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Like Gremlins.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yup, that. Sorry for the stilted language.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    There is a point of just because you don't think something is worthwhile to include on the album, doesn't mean someone else feels the exact same way.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Wait, is Planet Earth getting more music released?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    KevinSmith wrote
    There is a point of just because you don't think something is worthwhile to include on the album, doesn't mean someone else feels the exact same way.

Don't start, Kevin. Not here, please.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Erik Woods wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Don't start, Kevin. Not here, please.

-Erik-

I am just pointing out something perfectly valid.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin, the line ends back there...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    lol

(Poor Thor... and I tend to agree with him too, in general. Except on that progrock thing. vomit )
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I agree with Thor, too... a certain extent as well.

-Erik-
  4. Panthera wrote
    Wait, is Planet Earth getting more music released?

No, but I felt I could take another disc of Fenton contributions to the BBC, based on my memory of good stuff left out of the current albums.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am