• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    BobdH wrote
    It's an hommage to cinema, right? So though it's not a film score, on the other hand, it is a film score.
    there is a correct term and that is : "programme music"
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BLUE MAX - Jerry Goldsmith

Excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote
    It's an hommage to cinema, right? So though it's not a film score, on the other hand, it is a film score.

I always regarded Berlioz's classic Symphonie Fantastique (a personal favourite too) as the first foreshadowing of a film score structure. What do you think of this assessment, D?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    My Miklos Rozsa playlist. Quo Vadis, Ivanhoe, King Of Kings, Young Bess, you name it. It's al in there.
    Most fitting and uplifting this cold, wet, dark November afternoon.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : Far Cry - Jessica De Rooij

The film was rather , euh ... bad but the score certainly isn't !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BobdH wrote

I always regarded Berlioz's classic Symphonie Fantastique (a personal favourite too) as the first foreshadowing of a film score structure. What do you think of this assessment, D?

I'm really not sure? A very good work though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. I am talking about the idee fixe, the recurring theme that runs through the piece (the girl's theme) foreshadows the general concept of a recurring theme for a score. Berlioz did that before Wagner invented leitmotifs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010 edited
    It's programme music, not a film score. There needs to be a film to have a film score. Anything else written to accompany an idea, person, photo, drawing, story, philosophical question, etc etc, is programme music which was the natural ancestor to film music anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am talking about the idee fixe, the recurring theme that runs through the piece (the girl's theme) foreshadows the general concept of a recurring theme for a score. Berlioz did that before Wagner invented leitmotifs.

I didn't know that, I'll have to give the Berlioz work a more concentrated listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    We own the night (Wojciech Kilar)

This score doesn't have a bad moment, but it's very dull and doesn't have any enjoyable themes. I love Kilar, but sometimes he's a bit too lackluster.

Peter sleep
  3. Halo Reach - Marty O'Donnell & Mike Salvatori

Not as strong as Halo 3, which is still my favourite (both game and music-wise). The usual O'Donnell style of drum-based rhythmic scoring with some cool motifs and themes here and there, but just too much uninteresting synth droning that has a place in the game audio but doesn't work on the album. The main theme is very cool. Sadly the presentation is all over the place and only makes sense to people having played the game as the music is presented as it appears within, weird edits and all. Definitely not as epic in scope as Halo 3.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Halo Reach - Marty O'Donnell & Mike Salvatori

Not as strong as Halo 3, which is still my favourite (both game and music-wise). The usual O'Donnell style of drum-based rhythmic scoring with some cool motifs and themes here and there, but just too much uninteresting synth droning that has a place in the game audio but doesn't work on the album. The main theme is very cool. Sadly the presentation is all over the place and only makes sense to people having played the game as the music is presented as it appears within, weird edits and all. Definitely not as epic in scope as Halo 3.

My problem with it is the terribly cheesy and dated synth sound overall and the lack of scope. It's just two hours of long, aimless headache-inducing music with an exception of 2-3 listenable cues, mostly sounding like drafts from some guys' computer rather than actual music. THe score to Halo 3 was far more atmospheric and ambient, but much more listenable.
  4. I agree with you on this one, D.

Of the two hours of music I only relisten to the "Overture" and the music that was used for the trailer, "Lone Wolf."
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    it really baffles me how it takes two guys to write such draft material. I have been listening to the new jesper kyd score for the new assassin's creed the other day and what a contrast that is !
  5. I'm looking forward to listening to the new Assassin's Creed later in the week...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    It's programme music, not a film score. There needs to be a film to have a film score. Anything else written to accompany an idea, person, photo, drawing, story, philosophical question, etc etc, is programme music which was the natural ancestor to film music anyway.

I know. I am merely saying that Berlioz's work may be the first work to foreshadow the structure of a film score, I know that it's not a score, because there were no films or even ideas for a film camera by then!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010
    NP : WALKABOUT - John Barry

Fantastic score to a superb film, one of Barry's best and yet very rarely mentioned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Halo Reach does have some pretty good action cues though. I especially liked the Mideastern-flavoured Tip Of The Spear. Wonder why the main theme from the previous installments didn't get proper play in this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Human Target - Bear McCreary

First listen. I'm impressed!
    Fabulous television scoring yet again! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Glory & Honour - Brucie Bonus

I've been somewhat underwhelmed by several of Intrada's most recent Broughton releases but this is the Broughton I love. Great theme, big orchestra, big heart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010 edited
    DemonStar wrote
    Halo Reach does have some pretty good action cues though. I especially liked the Mideastern-flavoured Tip Of The Spear. Wonder why the main theme from the previous installments didn't get proper play in this one.

Easy, because it doesn't follow the storyline from the first three Halo's. It's actually a prequel set on another world, and Master Chief (the badass from parts 1 - 3) is nowhere to be found. There are hints of the themes scattered about though. At the end of 'The Package' you hear the piano motif from Halo 3 for example when a certain character from that game is introduced.

Christodoulides wrote
    it really baffles me how it takes two guys to write such draft material. I have been listening to the new jesper kyd score for the new assassin's creed the other day and what a contrast that is !

I wouldn't say the music is daft D, it works tremendously in the confines of the game world. It's just not everything is supposed to be memorable, some of it needs to be extremely ambient and low-key to support the accompanying section in the game.

What I have a problem with is that the suites on the soundtrack don't have structure and they're basically all small cues that appear in that level mixed together. It doesn't create a very satisfying listening experience.

Then again, I've always liked these guys' music for the Halo titles. And if you're a fan of the games you're going to get more out of it too.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. Seven Years in Tibet - John Williams

Absolutely wonderful. Though I've forgotten about the film now, its score never will be. Great inspired themes and Asian-flavoured touches spice up the music to a level of beauty we simply haven't heard from the master in the past decade, except for Memoirs of a Geisha, but I've always preferred this one over Geisha, strangely enough.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Seven Years in Tibet - John Williams

Absolutely wonderful. Though I've forgotten about the film now, its score never will be. Great inspired themes and Asian-flavoured touches spice up the music to a level of beauty we simply haven't heard from the master in the past decade, except for Memoirs of a Geisha, but I've always preferred this one over Geisha, strangely enough.

Much better than Geisha IMO, and an underrated gem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Easy, because it doesn't follow the storyline from the first three Halo's. It's actually a prequel set on another world, and Master Chief (the badass from parts 1 - 3) is nowhere to be found. There are hints of the themes scattered about though. At the end of 'The Package' you hear the piano motif from Halo 3 for example when a certain character from that game is introduced.

Christodoulides wrote

I wouldn't say the music is daft D, it works tremendously in the confines of the game world. It's just not everything is supposed to be memorable, some of it needs to be extremely ambient and low-key to support the accompanying section in the game.

What I have a problem with is that the suites on the soundtrack don't have structure and they're basically all small cues that appear in that level mixed together. It doesn't create a very satisfying listening experience.

Then again, I've always liked these guys' music for the Halo titles. And if you're a fan of the games you're going to get more out of it too.

I didn't say anything about memorable music or themes. Halo 3 was all ambient and atmospheric but made much more sense and was actually better music than Reach which sounds plastic and cheap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Waiting for Superman

Tom, how's that score?

not impressed
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    war wagon has a great main theme
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's Tiomkin! It should have! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    I didn't say anything about memorable music or themes. Halo 3 was all ambient and atmospheric but made much more sense and was actually better music than Reach which sounds plastic and cheap.

I disagree. Halo 3 was not all ambience and atmospherics. There was a fine thematic base as well, and the total soundtrack was a good mix of both. It helps that the tracks were shorter too, more focused on one style and not the style of combined suites for both ODST and Reach. And part 3 has one other strength: orchestra & choir, although in selected parts.

But yeah, Reach doesn't quite ... uhm ... reach that level. rolleyes
  8. sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Waiting for Superman

Tom, how's that score?

not impressed

I'm quite enjoying it. I like the small-scale ensemble writing. It's no earth-shattering score - just an inoffensive, quirky piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    quirky ? Hmm...