• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Waw,

I'm off the board for 24 hours and I get back and get to read this lovely bunch of replies. Put a big smile on my face.

Everybody who has chipped in by giving me horror titles to watch. Thanks. I'm not sure when I'll get round to watching them all. Maybe I should get some MT members together and make a spooky - zombie - movie night happen or something?

DreamTheater wrote
    And apologies for using this topic for everything but zombies or Mr. McCreary, Elin. shame

Let's shuffle back on topic please !

Please, don't make me into the 'on topic police'. Stray away as far as you want, as long as it is fun, entertaining and not overly disrespectful I'm game ;-).

Martijn wrote
    Sadly I gather the series is already deviating from the landmark comics series (which is one of the best, most mature, thought-provoking and human -utterly soebring and disturbingly so- takes on the concept I have ever read), so I'm a bit weary now, Bear or no. slant

Well, Martijn, I haven't read the comics so I can't tell you if it is a good or a bad deviation, but I can tell you Kirkman himself is involved and as a scenario writer no less. So this is me hoping that deviation or not, he'll keep the level up as well.

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010
    I like Kirkman's writing a lot, so it's a relief to hear he's so thoroughly involved.
    Looking forward to this!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010 edited
    I've watched the first episode last night and loved it !
    Great camerawork , good effects , no restraint on the gore and a good lead actor .
    The opening scene alone sets the mood wonderfully . The hospital scene reminded me of 28 Days Later though .
    If they keep the standard of the rest of the series the same we're in for a treat !
    Also loved the final scene in the city ... scary stuff !
    There isn't much use of music throughout the episode which mostly adds to the tension .
    So I need to watch some more episodes to give my thoughts on Bear's music ...

I haven't read the comics and that's probably a good thing since it would probably spoil the series a bit ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2010 edited
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Waw,

I'm off the board for 24 hours and I get back and get to read this lovely bunch of replies. Put a big smile on my face.

Everybody who has chipped in by giving me horror titles to watch. Thanks. I'm not sure when I'll get round to watching them all. Maybe I should get some MT members together and make a spooky - zombie - movie night happen or something?

DreamTheater wrote
    And apologies for using this topic for everything but zombies or Mr. McCreary, Elin. shame

Let's shuffle back on topic please !

Please, don't make me into the 'on topic police'. Stray away as far as you want, as long as it is fun, entertaining and not overly disrespectful I'm game ;-).

Elin

Ok, as long as we keep it somewhat on topic it's all good. And don't forget, people like the topics that have a lot of comments, even if they're complete rubbish. It's the topics with few comments that are always forgotten.

You should definitely watch Shaun of the Dead, Elin. It's typically british humor, hilarious from start to end, and you might learn a thing or two about the not so everyday behavior of zombies and how to defend against them. I can heartily recommend it to you. smile

About the series, I might as well start watching it, because this topic gets a lot of posts and so I reckon that this topic is pretty hot and should not be forgotten. Plus I want to hear Bear's contribution.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've seen the first two episodes of it. I love it! Nice mood, a serious approach to the proceedings and some zombie setpieces that I've never seen before!

McReary's score is appropriately sparse.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Eric wrote
    There isn't much use of music throughout the episode which mostly adds to the tension .
    So I need to watch some more episodes to give my thoughts on Bear's music ...

Well, you should definitely check out Bear's blog (http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4964 for the first epiode for instance), where he goes in depth on about his approach and his score, both in writing as in audio clips and video.

What I really love (and could quite easily make out) is that every episode the Main Title theme has been rerecorded and slightely differently rearranged. Check it out.

Elin
  3. Thor wrote
    McReary's score is appropriately sparse.

Thor, darling. It's McCreary. You forgot a C in there biggrin

Elin
  4. He always writes him like this.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. Just saw the pilot, too early to tell if this show has potential but I liked it still. Fantastic and gory make-up effects and some slow-building tension-filled scenes set the mood. Though nothing I haven't seen before, here the zombies are actually quite intelligent, maybe too much so. Liked the atmosphere overall thanks to some effective music, though there wasn't a whole lot of it. Can't say if the music will turn more thematic as the show will progress, this just doesn't seem like a show that needs themes or uplifting, memorable melodies. Looks like the low-key approach will do what is needed to keep the viewers on the edge of their seat though.

Hope there will be a lot more shuffling & moaning in ep. 2 though. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthortimme
    DreamTheater wrote
    You should definitely watch Shaun of the Dead, Elin. It's typically british humor, hilarious from start to end, and you might learn a thing or two about the not so everyday behavior of zombies and how to defend against them. I can heartily recommend it to you. smile

Actually you should first see Brain Dead from Peter Jackson. This is one of most fantastic and hilarious horror movies ever made!!!
  6. Tim, thanks for the share, check my e-mail. wink

Brain Dead? From pre-LOTR Peter Jackson? Ah should be pretty low-budget and tasteless... worth a watch then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2010
    timme wrote

Actually you should first see Brain Dead from Peter Jackson. This is one of most fantastic and hilarious horror movies ever made!!!

Yeah , that's another goodie - Brain Dead ! Forgot all about that one ...
    I had great fun watching it when it came out - blood flows plenty in this one , though done with lots of humor !
  7. So I assumed correctly that Brain Dead is pretty much tasteless. wink That's all good then...

And can you zombie-freaks tell me the title in which the undead constantly say the word "brains" whenever they encounter their forthcoming meal?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    So I assumed correctly that Brain Dead is pretty much tasteless. wink That's all good then...

And can you zombie-freaks tell me the title in which the undead constantly say the word "brains" whenever they encounter their forthcoming meal?

Is that the "black comedy" one with the line 'send more medics'?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Guess so, I really don't know. I know I saw it once when I was ye high, but you could beat me to death and I wouldn't be able to tell you. You know something I don't? shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm sure it's something like Return of The Living Dead? I'd like to know too, it was a fun film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. We await our resident zombie-know-it-all ERIC for the answer!!! beer
  10. Thank you all for your suggestions. However, as I have none of the DVD's, getting a chance to see them all might take some time.

Bregt, wouldn't we organize a MT-horror movie night or something?

Elin
  11. Thomas has Shaun of the Dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    DreamTheater wrote
    So I assumed correctly that Brain Dead is pretty much tasteless. wink That's all good then...

Timmer was correct Gilles , the word "brains" and the line "Send more medics" comes from the first Return of the Living Dead . Also a fun little horror ride ! The second one wasn't as good , still fun to watch but not on par with the first one . Then whe had the lovely Melinda Clark in Return of the Living Dead - Part 3 ! Wow , she was HOT , even when she became a zombie !
    Here's the poster and a photo and you'll see what I mean ... biggrin

Poster : http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5141AXNZ88L.jpg
    Photo : http://superatomictv.com/missingreel/wp … arke-3.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Thank you all for your suggestions. However, as I have none of the DVD's, getting a chance to see them all might take some time.

Bregt, wouldn't we organize a MT-horror movie night or something?

Elin

I can help you out on that end Elin ...

A horror movie night ?
    Now that isn't a bad idea ... wink
  12. Eric wrote
    I can help you out on that end Elin ...

A horror movie night ?
    Now that isn't a bad idea ... wink

OK, so we have Eric providing the DVD's, now for a location... I have a tiny house with a miniture living room (as Thomas can testify to), so unless only three people show up, we'll have to look for a different location. I am willing to provide (healthy and slightely less healthy snacks).

Anybody have any idea's for location?

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Never been much of a zombie fan.
    I much prefer vampires.
    (Proper ones. Lugosis, Shreks and Lees. Not the discoglitter type.)

That said, Max Brooks' World War Z, of which I heard the audio version, about a UN scientist recording the aftermath of a global zombie outbreak and the response of the civilised world to it (including eye witness account from frontline soldiers and flight survivors) is a heck of an interesting work!

Apparently this is slated to be made into a movie as well.
    Unless they keep to a documentary feel, I can't really see the point in that, though.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010 edited
    I watched the second episode last night . Still good stuff , on par with the pilot episode .
    I love the 'feel' of the series , there's always an eerie tension around ...
    I also got a feeling we haven't seen the last of Michael Rooker's character !
    Anyone up for a walk covered in guts among the living dead ?
    Scary and smelly ! biggrin

Let's hope it doesn't rain !

I just did The Walking Dead Survival Test on the official AMC site ...
    http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-Walk … vival-test
    My result ? It looks like I'm a natural leader ! Now that was a surprise !
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    Eric wrote
    I watched the second episode last night . Still good stuff , on par with the pilot episode .
    I love the 'feel' of the series , there's always an eerie tension around ...
    I also got a feeling we haven't seen the last of Michael Rooker's character !
    Anyone up for a walk covered in guts among the living dead ?
    Scary and smelly ! biggrin!

That's one of the scenes I was talking about earlier when I said the series had some things I've never seen in a zombie film before. Very unsettling.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    OK, so we have Eric providing the DVD's, now for a location... I have a tiny house with a miniture living room (as Thomas can testify to), so unless only three people show up, we'll have to look for a different location. I am willing to provide (healthy and slightely less healthy snacks).

Anybody have any idea's for location?

Elin

Can't we hire one of the screening rooms in Metropolis ? wink

It looks like it's only the two of us Elin !
    I'll bring the films and the drinks ... and don't worry , I don't bite ... biggrin
  13. Eric wrote
    It looks like it's only the two of us Elin !
    I'll bring the films and the drinks ... and don't worry , I don't bite ... biggrin

Eric,
    Not that I have anything against having just you over (thank you for mentioning you don't bite, I might get scared otherwise while watching zombie movies where a bite can be lifethreatening...) but I think Gilles might be interested as well, and I'm guessing Thomas might want to come as well.

Maybe I should just send private messages to them and to Maxime (aka Rian) and his girlfriend/my former thesis student Patty (whom the gang got to meet at the WSA)?

But if it's just the two of us, if you promise me to let me squeeze your hand when I'm getting scared, you are very welcome in my little abode :-)

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    The more people , the merrier Elin ... smile

And if it's only the two of us and you get scared , you can squeeze my hand as much and as hard as you like !
    I can take it ... I hope ... wink
  14. Thomas & I are definitely interested. But I think we should do this somewhere with a good home-cinema setup. Films are meant to be experienced and felt, not merely watched, like in the cinema. Just so happens there is very good one where I live. punk

That said, maybe we should continue this via e-mail. This is going more and more off topic. The Walking Dead will not be pleased.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote

... The Walking Dead will not be pleased.

What are they gonna do ? ... Bite ?! biggrin