• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Erik Woods wrote
    After the first three episodes the show got really tiring. I was still interested but the characters were starting to bore me. Saw the finale last night and I was left disappointed. I was really hoping for a bit more of the back story when the episode opened up the way it did but then after that it was 45 minutes of bordome and bad special effects. I hope for more back story in the second seasion and a bit more depth to the characters. Right now they just keep doing and saying the same things over and over again.

-Erik-

Hi Erik,

I actually liked them, but it is no second BSG for me. Well, I will definitely continue to watch. And you know Darabont is planning to have different writers in, so we'll have to wait and see what they make of it.

I'm curious about what AMC is planning to do about timing, though. They have a heavily watched series on their hands, and the next season isn't planned to come out in a year, ouch.

So maybe they'll push the schedule forward?

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010
    A series that has arrived 5-6 years late. It has all been said (and done) in the zombie subgenre. Watchable, nothing else.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010 edited
    Wow, I feel like I'm the only one here who REALLY, REALLY like this show; one of the best I've seen in recent years. Innovative, engrossing, captivating, visceral, intelligent. 9 out of 10.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Wow, I feel like I'm the only one here who REALLY, REALLY like this show; one of the best I've seen in recent years. Innovative, engrossing, captivating, visceral, intelligent. 9 out of 10.

Just two words: 'Dead Set' (2008).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010
    Marselus wrote
    Thor wrote

Just two words: 'Dead Set' (2008).

I assume that's a similarly-themed series? Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Yes, a 5 episode (30 minutes each) british TV series about a zombie outbreak during a 'Big Brother' broadcast. Enjoy! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Marselus wrote
    Yes, a 5 episode (30 minutes each) british TV series about a zombie outbreak during a 'Big Brother' broadcast. Enjoy! wink

Wow, cool idea! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2010 edited
    It's written by the ever acerbic Charlie Brooker - a British TV critic known for his scathing misanthropy and utterly pessimistic (but always hilarious) outlook on television and well, everything else really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote

You're not the only one. I loved it. Shame the season's over so soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    I really enjoyed it.
  2. I did, too, though probably because the only zombie movie I ever saw before was Shawn of the Dead (which I really liked). What worked best for me were those very intense scenes where people and zombies had a chance to interact a little bit, like the scene in Ep1 with the girl in the park which the lead character follows and kills, or in Ep 5 [spoiler]the slow turn-into-the undead scene between the sisters, which was breathtakingly beautiful, but also freaked me out big time. ("Get away from her, you idiot!!!")[/spoiler]
  3. I saw the ending of this season and overall I felt the show hit some dramatic high points. Some characters I like, some I don't, just with BSG. But I don't think this will reach the depth of that one. Zombies can only do so many things, they don't have Cylon brains. I see this develop into a really frightening study on how humans interact with each other, without the undead coming into play. We've had a taste already in this season of what human beings are capable off in the most desperate times. So yeah, I will continue watching it next year.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Exactly. Like BSG, this is most about how humans behave when things get really messy, the change people go through when they are faced with the uncomprehendable, and how it brings out the best and the worst in us all. It´s fascinating, but only from our point of view, of course. Kinda freaky in itself, to actually "enjoy" watching stuff like BSG or TWD. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010
    Marselus wrote

Managed to find the series and just saw the pilot! Very cool concept. I do, however, have trouble understanding the dialect. Also, too bad the episodes (except the pilot) are only 25 minutes long! It has a bit of a different tone than TWD, though. More black comedy and satire here.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    I thought one episode was below par , but the others were great !
    So I'm still loving it , but each to his own Erik ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2010 edited
    Thor wrote
    Marselus wrote

Managed to find the series and just saw the pilot! Very cool concept. I do, however, have trouble understanding the dialect.

Yes, I had to use spanish subtitles, otherwise I wouldn't have understood half of it.

Thor wrote
    It has a bit of a different tone than TWD, though. More black comedy and satire here.

Yes, more comedy / satire focused, as you say, but wait until the final episodes...
  5. Eric wrote

You thought the 5th wasn't great, right Eric?

And I didn't think there was a boring moment in the whole season. Maybe slowdown here and there, but nothing that would make me write it off. The final episode was particularly intense.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Marselus wrote
    Yes, more comedy / satire focused, as you say, but wait until the final episodes...

Just finished it (and what a downbeat ending!). It was pretty fun and intense in certain moments, but isn't anywhere near the quality of THE WALKING DEAD, IMO. As I said earlier, it's more satire/dark comedy, with some really gross scenes just for the sake of being gross (like the guy pooping in a bucket or chopping up the dead zombie with a ktichen knife).

TWD has more going for it in terms of character relations, mood, intelligence, scope of story etc. It helps to have 6x45 min, though, instead of 6x25.

In any case, DEAD SET was a cool little thing and a nice idea, so thanks for the heads-up. Guess it was one of those things that spun off the success of 28 YEARS LATER (as in 'we brits can do zombie flicks too'!)
    I am extremely serious.
  6. The pilot episode of TWD was 1 hr 6 min. Thor, but who's counting anyway. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    The pilot episode of TWD was 1 hr 6 min. Thor, but who's counting anyway. wink

True, and the pilot of DEAD SET was 45 minutes (two episodes jammes into one?).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    Eric wrote

You thought the 5th wasn't great, right Eric?

No , it was episode 3 or 4 I think that dragged a bit .
    I'll have to check again ...

Dead Set is great as well , I discovered it by accident while surfing the internet some time ago .
    I love the claustrofobic feel about it and the series has indeed a downbeat ending .
    The DVD set is 'dead' cheap at the moment , only €6.99 !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012
    Today someone from the show tweeted that no score release is in the make for The Walking Dead, just finished the second season. A chance missed for some really good music (I even heard it in Ubeda last year) and to get our kazoo credited!

So that's why Elin and I created a Facebook page to get people together to get this score released.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Walk … 0395045737

Please like as much as possible!!!! wave punk

Lets get this out and create a momentum. Thank you very much! kiss
    Kazoo
  7. Good luck with the endeavours. I haven't seen the show - well, I saw the first episode but bailed out early because it seemed just like all the rest zombie shows - nor have I heard any of the music.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Good luck with the endeavours. I haven't seen the show - well, I saw the first episode but bailed out early because it seemed just like all the rest zombie shows - nor have I heard any of the music.

It's not like most Zombie films. Actually, it's painfully boring in parts... but the first 3-4 episodes of season one, episode 1 and the last 6 episodes or so of season two are excellent! And McCreary has written some solid material including his chilling main theme for the series. Have a listen to the theme during the open of Part 3 of my Halloween special! http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1459

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I really enjoyed the first season but gave up on the second after 2 or 3 episodes. "Painfully boring" is right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012 edited
    Perhaps, but you can all like that page right? tongue
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I really enjoyed the first season but gave up on the second after 2 or 3 episodes. "Painfully boring" is right!

The second half of season 2 more than makes up for the uninspired first half!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

The second half of season 2 more than makes up for the uninspired first half!

-Erik-

Indeed. The last four episodes of season two are impressive.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012
    Enjoyed the first season, haven't seen the second yet.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Hi all,

Just like the damn page crazy

No seriously, Bregt and I put quite some effort into it, and we would really like to see some likes added there.
    Do it for the Maintitles Kazoo
    Do it for Bregt or me
    Do it for Bear
    I don't care what you do it for, just hit the like button. beer

We want this soundtrack (with a 'Thank you to maintaitles.net for the kazoo' in the liner notes.)
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)