• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010
    THE SOCIAL NETWORK

The Sound and Music of “The Social Network” panel (video)

SoundWorks Collection Exclusive: In this 45-minute panel discussion, moderated by Bruce Carse, music composers Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are joined by sound re-recording mixer, supervising sound editor Ren Klyce to discuss their work on David Fincher’s The Social Network.

Filmed on Sunday, November 7th, 2010
    DGA Theater, Los Angeles, CA

Watch it here:

http://soundworkscollection.com/socialnetworkpanel

Reviews of the score:
    http://moviemusicuk.us/2010/11/18/the-s … us-ross-2/
    http://www.demetrischristodoulides.com/ … ovie-2010/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011 edited
    Ouch...

Trent Reznor set to score Fincher's 'Dragon Tattoo'

This is one of those stories where no one's going to act terribly surprised by the news, but it's nice to get it confirmed and official. Trent Reznor will be scoring David Fincher's next film, "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo."

source: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-capt … gon-tattoo

Sure, it's fine that he did The Social Network, it quite worked. But I seriously hope he wont be Fincher's composer of choice from now on. I thought Howard Shore would've been a great choice for a film like this...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011
    I thought Howard Shore's output after LOTR (with very few exceptions) was less enjoyable than Reznor's work in general. If he's going to be on snoozefest forever, i prefer anything different than that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Ouch...

Trent Reznor set to score Fincher's 'Dragon Tattoo'

This is one of those stories where no one's going to act terribly surprised by the news, but it's nice to get it confirmed and official. Trent Reznor will be scoring David Fincher's next film, "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo."

source: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-capt … gon-tattoo

Sure, it's fine that he did The Social Network, it quite worked. But I seriously hope he wont be Fincher's composer of choice from now on. I thought Howard Shore would've been a great choice for a film like this...

I thought Reznor & Ross' SOCIAL NETWORK was brilliant - in fact one of the best scores of 2010 - so I have no trouble with him getting into film music more often.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here, way more interesting than Howard Shore on snooze mode.
  1. It's only an opinion...it's only an opinion...it's only an opinion...

There, that's better. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2011
    TRENT REZNOR & ATTICUS ROSS to score "THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO"

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … on-tattoo/
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011
    Some please explain to me what made Reznor and Ross' score to THE SOCIAL NETWORK so special. In all honesty the film would have been just fine WITHOUT music. Reznor and Ross' music didn't make one bit of difference. Actually, I don't even remember it.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    True! It's a nice listening experience on cd though, but except for the first scene (when Mark is running through the rain/snow (?) to his dorm), it wasn't really anything remarkable, or indeed necessary. After listening to the cd after seeing the film, I didn't knew there was so much music used. But perhaps that's a good thing too? dizzy
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why unnecessary? For instance, did you feel the same for FIGHT CLUB's score too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Some please explain to me what made Reznor and Ross' score to THE SOCIAL NETWORK so special. In all honesty the film would have been just fine WITHOUT music. Reznor and Ross' music didn't make one bit of difference. Actually, I don't even remember it.

-Erik-

The rowing scene, with their synthesized adaptation of Grieg's "Mountain King", was one of the best scenes from a film musical perspective last year. A contemporary Wendy Carlos, if you wish. Also a very liberating moment...just visuals and music....after some very dialogue-heavy scenes.

Beyond that, I loved their lean, mean, funky electronica stylings which captured the technological aspect of what they're doing while also adding resonance to Fincher's eye candy. Much like the Dust Brothers' excellent score for FIGHT CLUB.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I have no issues with FIGHT CLUB. I thought it was rather effective. Unfortunately, Reznor and Ross' ORIGINAL music for THE SOCIAL NETWORK was... well, like Bregt said unnecessary. It didn't enhance anything. As for the rowing scene... I found that to be bizarre, completely out of place and at times laughable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    I have no issues with FIGHT CLUB. I thought it was rather effective. Unfortunately, Reznor and Ross' ORIGINAL music for THE SOCIAL NETWORK was... well, like Bregt said unnecessary. It didn't enhance anything. As for the rowing scene... I found that to be bizarre, completely out of place and at times laughable.

-Erik-

Well, nothing like difference of opinion to add the spice of life. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    beer
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Well, nothing like difference of opinion to add the spice of life. smile

Actually, with Erik, it's him proclaiming his opinion so thoroughly that you feel that there is no difference of opinion allowed.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ What the fuck? confused

-Erik-
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ What the fuck? confused

-Erik-

No offense Erik, but I find your enthusiasm/love/passion for certain scores intimidating sometimes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011 edited
    Kevin - I'm here for some good conversation and expressing our opinions on the art form we all love. If I don't see eye to eye with you or anyone else I'm going to post my own feelings on the matter. I'm not saying that yours or anyone else's opinions aren't valid and that mine are superior. This is a friendly place with a friendly and open atmosphere. Post what you want and if I disagree with some of your comments then so what. I don't think any less of you for liking a particular score that I don't and visa versa. Why should I. But if say anything negative about Raiders of the Lost Ark I will hunt you down! wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This place will only truly ever work when you ALL agree with me, everything I say is NOT opinion but FACT! The sooner you dweebs learn that and fall in line the better.

Yours

Herr Timmer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin - I'm here for some good conversation and expressing our opinions on the art form we all love. If I don't see eye to eye with you or anyone else I'm going to post my own feelings on the matter. I'm not saying that yours or anyone else's opinions aren't valid and that mine are superior. This is a friendly place with a friendly and open atmosphere. Post what you want and if I disagree with some of your comments then so what. I don't think any less of you for liking a particular score that I don't and visa verse. Why should I. But if say anything negative about Raiders of the Lost Ark I will hunt you down! wink

-Erik-

You live closer to me than any other MainTitles member... wink

It's just in some of the words that people use, like 'best'. Best is more of an objective word that feels rubber-stamped when people use it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    But that doesn't mean you HAVE to agree with it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

We haven't watched it with no music to know how it is with, well no music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    All I'm saying is that the score to THE SOCIAL NETWORK didn't enhance ANYTHING on the screen so what was the point of having an ORIGINAL score in the film in the first place.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i know. I am saying it actually did though; imo. Not as prominently and evidently as previous cases of Fincher's output, but it did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What the dust brothers did for FIGHT CLUB, as a philosophy of musical approach to narrative, it was closer to more traditional film music approaches. What REZNOR / ROSS did for Social Network was completely departed as a philosophy too. This is why, perhaps, it sat so strangely with so many people.
    Christodoulides wrote
    What the dust brothers did for FIGHT CLUB, as a philosophy of musical approach to narrative, it was closer to more traditional film music approaches. What REZNOR / ROSS did for Social Network was completely departed as a philosophy too. This is why, perhaps, it sat so strangely with so many people.

Young people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, i know. I am saying it actually did though; imo. Not as prominently and evidently as previous cases of Fincher's output, but it did.

Well, I didn't "get it" then. sad

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KevinSmith wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Young people.

Idiots.
    Southall wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Young people.

Idiots.

Back in your day, eh? (Don't get me started with my rant wink )