• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011
    Young people didn't seem young back in my day!
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011
    Southall wrote
    Young people didn't seem young back in my day!

I believe it was Plato who said something like "young people today do nothing but backtalk their elders, gobble their food, and ignore their lessons".
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2011 edited
    Plato, I'm gonna come at you like Spider Monkey!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    What the dust brothers did for FIGHT CLUB, as a philosophy of musical approach to narrative, it was closer to more traditional film music approaches. What REZNOR / ROSS did for Social Network was completely departed as a philosophy too. This is why, perhaps, it sat so strangely with so many people.

It wasn't so different. There were a few tracks on previous albums from what I understand, which the film was edited to. (Which is how many unusual film/music combinations come to be in the first place, including many early Morricone scores.) Many pieces were written new for the film, but little of it was traditional scoring where the music tries to connect the dramatic beats. That's what the editors were for.

I did really enjoy it in the film, particularly the first 4 tracks on album. I felt some little tricks must have been done to give the music a bit more oomph in the film sound mix, as I didn't quite find the music as impressive on album. The one bit I didn't really get was 'Hall of the Mountain King'. Great source material, great version, but it doesn't help what is already a bizarre scene fit in with the rest of the drama. I either wanted more of that sort of thing, or none of it. But once does not a motif make. Even on the album I skip past it, because it has no connection to the rest of the music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    The one bit I didn't really get was 'Hall of the Mountain King'. Great source material, great version, but it doesn't help what is already a bizarre scene fit in with the rest of the drama. I either wanted more of that sort of thing, or none of it. But once does not a motif make. Even on the album I skip past it, because it has no connection to the rest of the music.

Agree wholeheartedly. That scene was so incongruous musically against the rest of the film. It's virtually the only misstep Fincher made. Bizarre is the right word for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought the scene was absolutely great and essential.

The film is very dialogue-heavy (with lots of information being presented in the dialogue), so that scene was a much needed space for only visuals and music, a "tableaux", if you will after a lengthy period of such dialogue.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. That doesn't explain why Grieg then, and not something else.

I could have done with more tableaux actually. (Indeed, you could interpret my above remarks as bemoaning the lack of a pattern of such moments.) One of my main criticisms of the movie was that it talked too much. (Surprised you didn't have a problem with that - even ZODIAC had more moody, dialogue-free scenes, where Fincher communed directly with the hairs on my neck.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    That doesn't explain why Grieg then, and not something else.

I could have done with more tableaux actually. (Indeed, you could interpret my above remarks as bemoaning the lack of a pattern of such moments.) One of my main criticisms of the movie was that it talked too much. (Surprised you didn't have a problem with that - even ZODIAC had more moody, dialogue-free scenes, where Fincher communed directly with the hairs on my neck.)

I DID think it talked too much, as did ZODIAC. But there were some striking exceptions - the rowing scene, the opening, the end scene.

I thought the Grieg was chosen mostly because of its increasing pace and energy, in synch with the visuals, more than the associative bit. More for timbre than semantics, in other words.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011
    So, they won the Golden Globe.
    http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/01/1 … l-network/
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    And Rahman the oscar, soon smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote

Cool!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Bregt wrote

yay, congrats on another sign that music doesn't need to be brilliant anymore. It simply needs to be functionable in a brilliant movie instead.

Another sign that the movie of music of today is going down the drain face-palm-mt
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Why are soundtrack fans so apocalyptic? Discuss.

I can just imagine the fun and games going on over at the IFMCA message board at the moment. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    Why are soundtrack fans so apocalyptic? Discuss.)

That's the question I've been asking for the last 20 years!!

Lots of doom and gloom and 'everything used to be so much better'.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011
    Thor wrote
    Lots of doom and gloom and 'everything used to be so much better'.

But... but... everything was so much better.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    Absolutely true, Erik. Sometimes I think David Fincher has lost his marbles -- he's gotten composers like David Shire, Howard Shore, and Alexandre Desplat to write some beautiful and evocative scores for his previous films. Now he's fallen in love with these techy-soundscape composers and doesn't want to go back.

I'm not looking forward to Ross & Reznor's score for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (the remake is a totally different story). Someone like Howard Shore would've captured the moody, dark feel of the book perfectly.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  5. Matt C wrote
    ... doesn't want to go back.

Speculation!, your Honour.
    Sustained, counsel.
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    franz_conrad wrote

Speculation!, your Honour.
    Sustained, counsel.

Right now, it is speculation. Although Fight Club's atrocious Dust Brothers score and Fincher's previous two collaborations with Ross and Reznor suggest otherwise.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I might have to watch the Social Network movie to understand the score in context. I listened to it a couple of times and it didn't really click with me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Why are soundtrack fans so apocalyptic? Discuss.

I can just imagine the fun and games going on over at the IFMCA message board at the moment. wink

Actually it's very quiet on the subject, nobody really bothers and if you were there now, you'd be surprised too smile Thanks for the irony though kiss
  6. franz_conrad wrote
    Why are soundtrack fans so apocalyptic? Discuss.

don't know why I'm this apocalyptic, I've been having this feeling for about 10 years now so wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2011
    TRENT REZNOR AND ATTICUS ROSS - Girl with the dragon tattoo

Listen To Some Of Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross ‘ ‘The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo’ Score
    http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2011/ … -with.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    Here's a team I do not get. Their music does absolutely nothing for me and I was beyond appalled for the Oscar. I usually find myself unhappy that day anyway but... talk about blown away. I wasn't overly excited about any of the scores but to beat John Powell? Really?

ok... I'm sitting down and waiting for the guns to start firing at me now. smile
  7. Ask the Academy. They nominated The Social Network as Best Score, not Reznor and Ross.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    yonythemoony wrote
    Ask the Academy. They nominated The Social Network as Best Score, not Reznor and Ross.

That's a rather odd response. I am quite aware of how the system works. I'm saying that not only did I not take to their score but I was further bothered by the fact that a mediocre score at best (in my humble opinion) was granted the most prestigious award in the business. Therefore I felt compelled to vent my frustrations.

Two different topics that I combined as I felt they were related. Not ripping their work apart. Just stating my opinion based on the countless other talented composers with far superior scores that did not get recognized.
  8. Christian wrote
    Here's a team I do not get. Their music does absolutely nothing for me and I was beyond appalled for the Oscar. I usually find myself unhappy that day anyway but... talk about blown away. I wasn't overly excited about any of the scores but to beat John Powell? Really?

ok... I'm sitting down and waiting for the guns to start firing at me now. smile

You know, there are people twenty years older than you that are appaled Powell would win an Oscar. For anything he's done.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    justin boggan wrote
    Christian wrote

You know, there are people twenty years older than you that are appaled Powell would win an Oscar. For anything he's done.

You lost me. What does age have to do with anything? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, every generation has its favorite composers. And that to some even Powell winning an Oscar would seem stretched.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought Powell's DRAGON was fine, but it was very conventional.

Personally, I loved SOCIAL NETWORK - score, film, and soundtrack - and thought it was well-deserved.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristian
    Christodoulides wrote
    Well, every generation has its favorite composers. And that to some even Powell winning an Oscar would seem stretched.

Well, it's an odd comment, having nothing to do with my feedback. My age has nothing to do with my interpretation. I love Bach, Beethoven and Mozart- does my generation favor these composers or do I need to stop listening to them and conform to the norm? To me, that is just as pointless of a remark as it is to discuss my age in relation to John Powell's music. Plus... I mentioned that none of the nominated scores really grabbed me. In the lineup however, I thought it was an appalling selection, feeling that Powell and even Zimmer had it hands down.

"Powell's Dragon very conventional..." and Social Network wasn't generic, bland and uninteresting?

It's fine- I don't get it still but I have already wasted more time explaining my thoughts on this issue than I would like to. I shared my opinion for what it's worth and hey- if others agree with the Oscar and like the score- terrific. That's what I like about forums like this. Sometime we agree, disagree, share and learn... It's all great. I respect everyone's view. beer