• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2010 edited
    Is it just me or is pick-pocketing more common in Europe than in North America? I keep hearing stories from friends of being pick-pocketed or almost being pick-pocketed. Spain seems to be a big place for that. A friend of the family got pick-pocketed 400 Euros when he was there in September (not sure how that happened). Another one was almost pick-pocketed on a Metro in France (or it could have been Spain again), a group of guys were closing in on her in a circle and she got out of just in time, and she heard one of them say a five letter word (starts with b ends with h) in their own language. When I`m in North America, I never feel like I have to protect my belongings (not that I flail them out for all to see). In Chicago even, I didn`t feel like I felt like someone was going after my money.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2010
    Well, unless you are being attacked, you should be really asking for it to be pick-pocketing in Europe without realizing it (i.e. open bags, money in visible places, etc). It's never happened to me or anyone i know.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Apparently it's rife on the London underground, mostly gangs of Eastern Europeans but also professional English pick-pockets too, there are warnings on tube trains and at major tourist sites but nobody has caught me yet.

No, seriously, in all the many many times I've been to London and the countless times I've used the underground I've never once come across anything, I do however make sure that any valuables are safely tucked away.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2010 edited
    Interesting. I was just about to open a topic discussing how much more likely it is to be mugged violently in North America than it is in Europe.

wink

All a matter of perception, Kevin.
    If you draw up the statistics you'll find there is no difference between likelihoods occuring on any continent.
    Antarctica maybe being the exception.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    depends on the character too. Unless you are mugged which is sad and no sane individual would resist and risk their lives , the rest comes down to one's character. Some people are asking for it. Born to be victims. Or very naive and not cautious at all,
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No one is "asking for it" but I think what you mean is that they set themselves up as a victim, wealth on display, poor body language, age, size and sex all come into play.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    yea. Open bags with wallets sticking out of it. Wallets openly in the back pockets etc
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    not being aware of your surroundings , not looking after your belongings etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Interesting. I was just about to open a topic discussing how much more likely it is to be mugged violently in North America than it is in Europe.

wink

All a matter of perception, Kevin.
    If you draw up the statistics you'll find there is no difference between likelihoods occuring on any continent.
    Antarctica maybe being the exception.

The 'gangs' in SD that do the attacking usually consist of under 18 people. Our law is much easier on the juvenile. They can usually just walk away from their crimes when they turn 18. I'll be curious to follow the beheader in Mexico that was 14 and what will happen to him.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The 14 year old Mexican boy was news over here too Tom. Absolutely appalling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    what did he do ? Missed the story.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Murdered people for drug cartels and chopped off victims heads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Then put the little fucker in jail forever 'till he rots and dies and realize what he did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've been to Spain, France, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Greece, Austria, Switzerland... even Liechtenstein. I've never been pick-pocketed in any of them.
  1. When on the Metro in Madrid I was almost pickpocketed but felt someone trying to get at my wallet.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2010
    'D' in America he would be considered a juvenile and after he turned 21 he could be released but in Mexico I've no idea. This is why these criminal minds uses juveniles to commit the crimes. We just had an 11 year old caught stealing cars for the third time. According to California law the three strikes rule is in effect. But what is the point of locking up an 11 year old for life. None. The 14 year old beheader should die in prison but the law is different in Mexico.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Definitely Europe. See my last post on the what's annoying you currently thread

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2010 edited
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Definitely Europe. See my last post on the what's annoying you currently thread

Elin

Just saw it, that is downright despicable and must have been a scary incident for you, did you report it to the police?
  3. Timmer wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Definitely Europe. See my last post on the what's annoying you currently thread

Elin

Just saw it, that is downright despicable and must have been a scary incident for you, did you report it to the police?

Of course I did. they were on the scene maybe 10 minutes afterwards and really helped me out. Not a bad word about Brussels' police force from me.

But little to no chance that the guys will be found, I could not give a good description as I just for a second saw their torso's from my angle in the car.

But at least I got home safely afterwards (which in this snowy time of the year was not as easy as it sounds).

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2010
    Barcelona is pretty notorious for this. I was pick-pocketed out of a cell phone here.
    I am extremely serious.