• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007
    MovieScore Media will release Nicholas Dodd's Treasured Island
    -> http://www.moviescoremedia.com/comingsoon.html

Audio clip
    -> http://www.moviescoremedia.com/audio/treasured.mp3

The latter half sounds like Stargate and Independence Day. cheesy biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Great news, thanks for the heads-up Thomas!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas wrote
    MovieScore Media will release Nicholas Dodd's Treasured Island
    -> http://www.moviescoremedia.com/comingsoon.html

Audio clip
    -> http://www.moviescoremedia.com/audio/treasured.mp3

The latter half sounds like Stargate and Independence Day. cheesy biggrin

I'll bet it does! rolleyes biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. now this I gotta have wink
    wehoo, great new music keeps coming towards as
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ooh, me want!

Does anyone know the release date?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Ooh, me want!

Does anyone know the release date?

If you followed the link you would have found out that the release date is 22/01/2008

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why would we follow links when we have people in the business happy to enlighten us?
    Me, I'm lazy. cheesy sleep
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008
    MovieScore Media presents
    TREASURED ISLAND
    Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed and Conducted by
    Nicholas Dodd

Sound clips and more info:
    http://www.moviescoremedia.com/treasuredisland.html

Limited CD edition (500 copies) distributed by Screen Archives Entertainment:
    http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8344

Download album in 320kbit mp3 format here:
    http://www.filmmusicdownloads.com/WebFi … tm?id=5972

Download album on iTunes here:
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt … p;s=143441

Fans of David Arnold surely recognize the name of the composer of this spectacular swashbuckler score – Nicholas Dodd has orchestrated and conducted all of Arnold’s famous scores, including Stargate, Independence Day and all the four latest James Bond scores. The huge orchestral score Dodd has composed for the French-British adventure movie, Treasured Island (L’Île aux trésors), is only his second as a solo composer, following the acclaimed Renaissance which came out in 2006. This is an amazing roller-coaster ride of a score, filled with exciting action writing, grandiose themes (we’ve been humming the main theme ever since we heard it for the first time, and there is also a wonderful Barry-esque love theme in the score) and an abundance of big and complex orchestrations. Performed with great stamina and enthusiasm by London's Philharmonia Orchestra under the baton of the composer, Treasured Island is the type of swashbuckling symphonic score that got many fans of film music attracted to the genre in the first place!

MMS08002 TREASURED ISLAND: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack Music Composed and Conducted by NICHOLAS DODD Release date: January 22, 2008.
    CD edition is limited to 500 copies.

For a preview of our upcoming CD releases, please visit http://www.moviescoremedia.com/comingsoon.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorDom
    Got my copy a few moments ago. Awesome score so far! Hail to MovieScore Media punk
  2. Anyone listened to his first score Renaissance? how is it? smile
    so many scores... and not enough time... | http://soundtracklist.net
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    I've heard Renaissance, and it's got Dodd's complex arrangement & orchestration all over the place. Think about Independence Day minus those rousing David Arnold's themes.

p.s. Someone please give a full review of Treasured Island ! Since I only have the budget of buying ONE MSM scores, I'm still trying to choose between Journey from the Fall and Treasured Island...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    elenewton wrote
    p.s. Someone please give a full review of Treasured Island ! Since I only have the budget of buying ONE MSM scores, I'm still trying to choose between Journey from the Fall and Treasured Island...

I wrote the following in the NOW PLAYING thread a few weeks ago.

"The score sounds like any number of David Arnold works but there is something missing... oh ya, David Arnold. It has a big, BIG sound with thick, dense orchestrations and some underlining electronics during the action cues that just doesn't seem to fit for a film of this type. Now, I say a big, BIG sound but that's not the case for the entire score. A lot of it is fairly ordinary filler music that isn't all that interesting. There's not a lot of thematic development besides the main theme but the rest of it comes across kind of ordinary. It just didn't do anything for me but it might be a worthy purchase for those that want to hear what Dodd can do on his own."

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. I wrote a review of it but you'll have to wait until the review section is ready wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Erik Woods wrote
    I wrote the following in the NOW PLAYING thread a few weeks ago.

"The score sounds like any number of David Arnold works but there is something missing... oh ya, David Arnold. It has a big, BIG sound with thick, dense orchestrations and some underlining electronics during the action cues that just doesn't seem to fit for a film of this type. Now, I say a big, BIG sound but that's not the case for the entire score. A lot of it is fairly ordinary filler music that isn't all that interesting. There's not a lot of thematic development besides the main theme but the rest of it comes across kind of ordinary. It just didn't do anything for me but it might be a worthy purchase for those that want to hear what Dodd can do on his own."

-Erik-

Oh no! I don't know why I bought this. I'm not a fan of the Arnold/Dodd kind of action scores. Perhaps the "limited to 500 only" had a part to play in my decision. I haven't received it yet but based on your comments I doubt if I'll play it much. Let's see!
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008
    I was just told there is less than 75 copies left.

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I hate to be negative about this score since I'm actually suppose to help Mikael promote it via my show... and trust me I will get this and the other recent MSM scores on the program - but personally it didn't do anything for me.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Erik Woods wrote
    I hate to be negative about this score since I'm actually suppose to help Mikael promote it via my show... and trust me I will get this and the other recent MSM scores on the program - but personally it didn't do anything for me.

-Erik-

You just can't love everything, Erik! Kudos to you for being honest! In my opinion, Treasured Island is *a lot* of fun, and it's one of the albums I've worked hardest on (I've done all the editing, there was a ton of short cues that needed to be "glued" together to make for a listenable album!)...

Cheers,

mc
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    I just ordered it. That "less than 75 copies left" put me on a rush...Let's wait and see if the $21 is well spent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    $21?! shocked When you can own a 320k version of the album (with art work) for $9.99 and burn it to your own CD.

I understand that some of you love having the physical CD but when you can get it for $11 less via digital download in high quality MP3 I think you'd be insane to NOT to purchase the digital version.

My two cents,

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    That's a very well selling album then!?

What is your best selling cd so far Mikael?
    Including downloads.
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    That's a very well selling album then!?

What is your best selling cd so far Mikael?
    Including downloads.

I would guess George and the Dragon, one of your best releases and scores too smile
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Erik Woods wrote
    $21?! shocked When you can own a 320k version of the album (with art work) for $9.99 and burn it to your own CD.

I understand that some of you love having the physical CD but when you can get it for $11 less via digital download in high quality MP3 I think you'd be insane to NOT to purchase the digital version.

My two cents,

-Erik-

Well, if you end up not liking it you could probably sell it for at least $10, making it basically the same deal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Who buys CD's with the resell value in mind? Seriously!

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote

My two cents,

-Erik-

In most cases I'd agree that the 320kbps download version is the way to go - I have several of these releases from Mikael's label via download purchase. But after I had several sent to me as physical CDs I've been willing to pay that little extra for the CD.

These CDs aren't full of track analyses, booklets full of movie photos, etc. On the contrary, these digipak(?) cases just have a short composer resumé and maybe a few paragraphs on the movie or a comment or two from the director/composer. But the production value of these cases (including the vibrant glossy artwork) is something I just enjoy having. Of the scores I have downloaded, I don't think I have printed any artwork or burned the tracks to CD.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthortjguitar
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

It's not the "resell value" in mind. its the fact that you don't know your going to like something UNTIL YOU LISTEN TO IT. If you don't like a download, you delete it, whatever....if you don't like a CD...you can sell it, you might make money off it, you might not, it's still a much better deal. If things were exclusively downloadable, I would be MUCH MUCH MORE limited in my purchasing habits. I know that if I buy a limited title and that I don't like it, I can make 75%-80% of it back more often than not...and if i do like it...I get to keep an awesome CD and had no problem spending the 19.99 or whatever.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think I can review Treasured Island in two sentences:

Leave the writing to David or Clint. Leave the orchestrating to Nick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Erik Woods wrote

My two cents,

-Erik-

I don't know. Yesterday I gave my "I, Robot" CD a spin, and I think ( or maybe just my illusion ), I heard more "details" than the 320 mp3 version I often listen to. The CD version just feels...more vibrant, I guess.

Besides, I'd like a physical form of this score, so I can show off to my friends...
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I bought four copies of "My best friend's wedding" promo scores for $3 each, with resell value in mind. hahaha
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I think I can review Treasured Island in two sentences:

Leave the writing to David or Clint. Leave the orchestrating to Nick.

Yeap; 'cause many people believe it's actually easy to write a damn good score with just a good orchestrator. Well, it's nothing like that, obviously;

As the mighty Tiger from the Cheetos commercials would say: "it ain't easy being cheesy"
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    elenewton wrote

I don't know. Yesterday I gave my "I, Robot" CD a spin, and I think ( or maybe just my illusion ), I heard more "details" than the 320 mp3 version I often listen to. The CD version just feels...more vibrant, I guess.

Well, it all depends on WHERE you got your MP3's from. There is a possiblilty that those 320k MP3's could have been 1928k or 192k MP3 that someone reencoded at 320k which means you are still loosing quality. BTW, I don't think any one here can tell the difference between a 320K MP3 ripped directly from a CD and an uncompressed CD file.

-Erik-