• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKing Rao
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007 edited
    The first six minutes of The Dark Knight has found its way onto YouTube, albeit blurry and half out-of-frame. It will probably be gone by Monday morning so you may want to check it out before then if this interests you.

Assuming for the moment that the music isn't from a temp track, it seems to be just as uncompromisingly bland and unmemorable as the music from Batman Begins. *sigh* They didn't even bother giving the Joker a theme...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007
    I'm not going to watch it because I want to remain unspoiled, but I would be surprised if it is original score. I don't think they usually record this early. Even with the off chance that it is original music, how would you know they didn't give Joker a theme from the first six minutes?

I for one, am really interested in the film and score. Batman Begins was a great film that rejuvenated the franchise, and Zimmer and Horward provided exactly the type of score the film needed -- a typical superhero score simply wouldn't have worked.
  1. That's pretty well done and filmed... I'd say the music will be pretty similar to the final result. It recalls in some ways the music for Michael Mann's HEAT - which this scene recall in other ways.

This should be a good film, whatever the music situation turns out to be.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorKing Rao
    franz_conrad wroteThat's pretty well done and filmed...

I guess. At least Nolan keeps the camera still so that you can see what's happening.

franz_conrad wroteI'd say the music will be pretty similar to the final result.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about...

franz_conrad wroteIt recalls in some ways the music for Michael Mann's HEAT...

That's exactly what I was thinking. My question is: why should a superhero movie sound like a serious crime thriller?

DavidI'm not going to watch it... how would you know they didn't give Joker a theme from the first six minutes?

Because I have two functioning ears and I heard no theme, despite the fact that the Joker figures quite prominently in the first six minutes. Why don't you try actually watching it for yourself before questioning what I should or shouldn't know.

New trailer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Even if he is prominent in those first six minutes, it's a pretty big assumption to make. Not all composers will start out with a new character theme right at the beginning of the film. You may very well be correct, but it just seems too soon to ridicule the composers based on such a tiny section of the film which may or may not be final score.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I got to see the new trailer when I saw I Am Legend (which was very good by the way). The trailer is awesome! I can't wait until the movie comes out.
  2. King Rao, while I don't know (or particularly care) whether the Joker has a theme or not in this upcoming film, I think it's worth considering that Burton's movie probably didn't introduce a theme for the Joker until some way into the movie.

As to the question - why should a superhero movie sound like a serious crime film? Well, that's what Nolan wants to make. He's often said that what draws him to Batman is that he's the least 'super' of 'superheroes', the one who basically operates on his natural resources the most. There's certainly no shortage of Batman films in history that sound like superhero movies, and I honestly don't want Zimmer to strut his hero power-anthem stuff anyway. The films he scores tend to work a lot better when he keeps it low-key.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    http://atasteforthetheatrical.com/deathtrap/default.htm

THE TRAILER ROCKS!
    punk

* I like how some people suggest the score from the first one is absolutely rubbish wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    The trailer works! The Bat theme works very well in trailer format.
  3. Though I loved to have my Zimmer stuff back, that trailer did even less for me than the one for part 1, which I thought sucked. But I worry not, because part 1 was one of the best movies that year, and I hope TDK to be as well. Better hate the trailer and love the movie than the other way around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

THE TRAILER ROCKS!
    punk

* I like how some people suggest the score from the first one is absolutely rubbish wink

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!

WHAT A MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!

punk punk punk punk

I can see 400 milion dollars domestically!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, I like the trailer, but it didn't give me a 'wow-effect' yet. Though these trailers tend to have the same effect on me as they have on Ralph; I wasn't really impressed with the trailer for Batman Begins either, and this trailer was better than that. It's the same for me with the Bourne trilogy; those trailers are absolutely rubbish, but the films are friggin' awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I don't like it.
    And I really don't like the Joker!

Dirty, ugly, there's somehting very wrong with.
    Can't say it really what is it, I just didn't like it.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Bregt wrote

Well, that's the point wink It's not a man dressed up like a clown just for theatrical purposes, it's a sociopath who puts up the make-up and then let's it on to rot. It's creepy, it's mental, insane, it's... the Joker!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I know, but .... it's not ... what I thought/wanted/would like.
    It's ... undescribable! biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Well, true, it's not doing for me yet what I was hoping for either... But I do see a lot of potential, so I have faith in Nolan still. I'll wait for the film smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Why so serious???? beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregt wrote
    I don't like it.
    And I really don't like the Joker!

Wha!??

I think it looks great! (And The Joker? Well, Jack Nicholson looks like he has a worthy rival if you ask me!) Nolan is one of the best directors working in Hollywood today! cheesy punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BobdH wrote
    Bregt wrote

Well, that's the point wink It's not a man dressed up like a clown just for theatrical purposes, it's a sociopath who puts up the make-up and then let's it on to rot. It's creepy, it's mental, insane, it's... the Joker!

Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor

Christodoulides wrote

THE TRAILER ROCKS!
    punk

I can´t get the link to work.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
  4. true, the trailer does look great, and even if the music wasn't essentially the best part of the first movie, it just feels so dead on in this one, hoping for an equally brilliant film and a better score

Go Zim/Newt wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Does anyone else notice Heath Ledger channeling Jack Nicholson... which I like, by the way!!!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Looks good ( and yes, he's definitely channeling Nicholson ), I like Nolan's revision of the Bat legend.

I can't stand Burton's two films and the Kilmer & Clooney one's aren't worth a mention.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Does anyone else notice Heath Ledger channeling Jack Nicholson... which I like, by the way!!!

-Erik-

Yeap...He has done a terrible job with his voice and his accent.

What Nolan is doing with this Characters ( I didn't like Burtons Batman, and I enjoy with reservations Batman Returns)

And Bale...Oh Bale...If I was woman I can put my finger....Oops, doesn't matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Interesting... I liked it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I don't know why anyone would assume, this early, that the music there is NOT a temp track...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Interesting... I liked it!

-Erik-

It's quite interesting. He has Mark Hamill's laugh too down pat.

All this talk of Batman music does make me eager for a Shirley Walker commemorative release, including her famous Batman scores (which I've NEVER heard).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Timmer wrote
    Looks good ( and yes, he's definitely channeling Nicholson ), I like Nolan's revision of the Bat legend.

Indeed; that's what's so amazingly fresh and interesting about these projects, no matter which way you look at them. So up-to-date, so energetic, so cool, so.....real! It's Batman and then again so down-to-earth, so "realistic", so identifiable with! (the latter being the most important ingredient of the first (and hopefully the 2nd's too) movie's huge success, imo. ))
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    Ledger's Joker is more serious and sardonic than Nicholson, and he actually makes the Joker scary. Nicholson's Joker was like a slightly twisted man who's more interested in playing games than killing people. I loved the bit when Rachel knocks the Joker down and smiles at his mishap, then the Joker wields his knife saying "You've got a little fight in you. I like that." Then Batman comes out of nowhere and growls, "Then you're gonna love me." before tackling him.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog