• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. LA Kings, San Jose Sharks and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, right?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011
    Bingo... and they had a fourth in the seventies... the California/Oakland (Golden) Seals.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    However, how does the population of California 34 million compare to all of Canada.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Doesn't mean squat! Look at the population of Atlanta and the population of Winnipeg. In less than five minutes Winnipeg sold 13,000 season tickets. Atlanta couldn't generate that number on a good day. That's why the Thrashers are now where they should be... north of the border!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    point taken
  2. So why don't Canadian owners step up with the money and buy an expansion franchise? If there's so much love for pro hockey in Canada, why isn't there a guy in Saskatoon and a guy in Hamilton and a guy in Halifax and a guy in London and a guy saying "here! I've got a rink, I've got the money, give me a team"?

Surely if Canada is a hockey-crazy as you say it is, there would be ownership groups lining up to expand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011
    They have Jon. The NHL isn't interested in expanding! Instead back in the 90's when there were Canadian owners who wanted to bring team to Canada, league commissioner Gary Bettman decided to award teams to the hockey hot beds of Miami, Atlanta, Nashville and Columbus. Hamilton has been shutout twice for expansion and two years ago the CEO of RIM (Blackberry) wanted to move Phoenix to Hamilton but again the NHL said no by stating that Phoenix was a viable market (even though it was bankrupt.) Now, the NHL owns the team and the City of Glendale has to pay for their $25 million per year losses. Phoenix will be in Quebec after this season. In addition, Dallas is in limbo, The Panthers are in trouble, Columbus is bleeding money, etc, etc, etc.

The NHL has this warped imagination that they will one day get this lucrative US TV deal that will rival the NFL's. They can't do that with teams in Canada. Meanwhile, the TV ratings in Canada continue to soar (which they ignore) while the rating in the US are miniscule (which they continue to say are fantastic.) It doesn't help that most of the national broadcasts are on VS... a network that most American's can't even find!

Do you really think Bettman was happy with Altanta's move to Winnipeg? He can't sell that to the networks and advertisers. But then again, even if all the teams were in the US he wouldn't be able to sell the game to the US market as a whole anyway.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Something that Erik and I were briefly discussing yesterday is that California has more people than all of Canada which explains a bit about the market share and translates into $$$. The fact that Canada has 7 teams reinforces what Erik is talking about as far as interest is concerned. As a whole they have as much interest in hockey as this country has in the NFL, providing they settle the lockout and play and don't mess it up. The amount of dollars is staggering with the NFL. With a viewing audience of over 108 million people in the US for the last Superbowl the numbers speak for themselves. I got an idea of the interest of hockey in Canada when I returned to Minnesota for a time last year. Minnesota offers this pond/lake tournament which is unbelievable as far as interest is concerned so I can understand at least to a small extent.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Some of the greatest hockey fans in the world come from Minnesota. Not only do they support their professional teams, the interest in amateur hockey is unbeatable. Why the North Stars ever moved to Dallas is beyond me.

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    They have Jon. The NHL isn't interested in expanding! Instead back in the 90's when there were Canadian owners who wanted to bring team to Canada, league commissioner Gary Bettman decided to award teams to the hockey hot beds of Miami, Atlanta, Nashville and Columbus. Hamilton has been shutout twice for expansion and two years ago the CEO of RIM (Blackberry) wanted to move Phoenix to Hamilton but again the NHL said no by stating that Phoenix was a viable market (even though it was bankrupt.) Now, the NHL owns the team and the City of Glendale has to pay for their $25 million per year losses. Phoenix will be in Quebec after this season. In addition, Dallas is in limbo, The Panthers are in trouble, Columbus is bleeding money, etc, etc, etc.

Then the NHL is stupid. Bottom line; you go where the interest and the fans are. I know you don't follow it and don't like it, but the massive success of the Major League Soccer expansion franchises in Seattle, Portland and Vancouver in the last 2-3 years proves that cities with enthusiastic fan bases and progressive owners are the places to go, and based on what you say it seems as though NHL is more interested in getting a bigger geographical footprint than it is on establishing teams where the fans are. That makes no sense to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011 edited
    Jon Broxton wrote
    Then the NHL is stupid.

That's all you needed to write!

Jon Broxton wrote
    based on what you say it seems as though NHL is more interested in getting a bigger geographical footprint than it is on establishing teams where the fans are. That makes no sense to me.

And can you believe this... they are thinking about expanding into European before they expand to Canada. How fucked up is that?! I'm sure L.A., San Jose, Anaheim and Vancouver can't wait for that road trip...

Jon Broxton wrote
    I know you don't follow it and don't like it, but the massive success of the Major League Soccer expansion franchises in Seattle, Portland and Vancouver in the last 2-3 years proves that cities with enthusiastic fan bases and progressive owners are the places to go.

Oh, I know about the MLS. No one gave Toronto FC a chance in hell of succeeding. But over the past five years (despite shitty ownership and five unsuccessful seasons in the standings) BMO Field is always sold out! And if I'm not mistaken it's one of the best places to watch a match in the MLS.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorJon Broxton
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011 edited
    Erik Woods wroteAnd can you believe this... they are thinking about expanding into European before they expand to Canada. How fucked up is that?! I'm sure L.A., San Jose, Anaheim and Vancouver can't wait for that road trip...

That's ridiculous. Number one, most European countries already have their own hockey leagues, so why would they even do that? And number two, that's just alienating the fanbase even more. Why would you have an NHL team in, say, Helsinki, when you can have four or five teams in Ontario, breed local rivalries, have fans traveling to road games, and so on? More craziness.

Oh, I know about the MLS. No one gave Toronto FC a chance in hell of succeeding. But over the past five years (despite shitty ownership and five unsuccessful seasons in the standings) BMO Field is always sold out! And if I'm not mistaken it's one of the best places to watch a match in the MLS.

It is, although Seattle and Portland (and maybe even Philadelphia) have surpassed them recently. Plus, the new stadiums in Philly, New York and Kansas are magnificent, state-of-the-art buildings, which make BMO look a little old-fashioned, even after this short time. TFC's problem is not their support - that's always been fantastic. It's their lack of on-field success, their owners, and the fact that they keep changing their head coach and never have time to build a proper squad of players with a cohesive game plan. Every year is a "rebuilding" year.

BTW, did you know that Hamilton have an expansion team this year? Hamilton Rage, playing at Brian Timmis Stadium. They're not in MLS - they play in the top men's semi-pro league in North America, the PDL.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Jon Broxton wrote
    BTW, did you know that Hamilton have an expansion team this year? Hamilton Rage, playing at Brian Timmis Stadium. They're not in MLS - they play in the top men's semi-pro league in North America, the PDL.

I had no idea. Can't say that we (Hamilton) is a soccer hungry town. I wonder how many people actual go to a game. We can barely register 4000-5000 for our AHL Bulldogs and apparently we LOVE our hockey. shame

And what's with these dumb nicknames. Rush, Rage, Fury, Extreme, Avalanche.

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wroteAnd what's with these dumb nicknames. Rush, Rage, Fury, Extreme, Avalanche.

They're very, very angry. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2011
    And then we've got San Diego a metropolis of 3.5 million people who couldn't support the NBA or the NHL and there is talk the football team will go to LA.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    California is the largest producer of cheese in the United States. Many people think it is Wisconsin but not true.
  5. sdtom wrote
    California is the largest producer of cheese in the United States. Many people think it is Wisconsin but not true.

Well, Hollywood *is* in California!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    cheesy Good one Jon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2011
    We complain about the weather when for the most part its gorgeous. Too hot is 72 and too cool is 68. Jon will understand.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2011
    We seem to have a fast food place on every corner and if not it's a coffee place. Way too many of them, yikes
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011
    We've got some of the poorest public transportation in the world.
  6. We have public transportation?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011
    sdtom wrote

Is that on the 'bad' list Tom? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Jon has some great one liners! Let me give the euro side of the world an example. What can take perhaps ten minutes at the outside to get to a destination by car (my doctor's office) takes over an hour by bus. Always carry a paperback in your back pocket.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We have two of the finest symphony orchestra's in the world (L.A. and San Fran.)
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hired a car in California so I have no idea what your public transport is like? I did take buses in Miami though and that's not an experience I'd like to repeat.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Jon Broxton wrote
    We have public transportation?

Jon answered the question nicely
  7. Here's a perfect example of how bad LA's public transport is.

When I lived in Sheffield it was a 5-minute walk from my house to the train station. From there, it was a 3-hour train ride to St. Pancras in London, and then a 10-minute tube ride from there to Trafalgar Square. A journey of 160 miles completed in just under 3-and-a-half hours, without the need to go anywhere near a car.

Compare this with my current circumstances. I live in Thousand Oaks, and I work in Simi Valley. It is just over 12 miles door to door. I drive it in 22 minutes. However, to get from my house to work on public transport I would have to walk 1.5 miles to the Thousand Oaks Transit Center (there is no bus route close to my house that will take me there), then catch the Vista Bus from there to Simi Valley Town Centre, which takes *an hour and 6 minutes* to drive 12 miles. Then, once there, I either have to walk 4 miles from SVTC to my office (another 45 mins or so), or catch the Simi Valley bus to take me to the closest bus stop to my office - which is still a mile away.

Sheffield - London (160 miles) - 3 and a half hours
    Thousand Oaks - Simi Valley (12 miles) - just over 2 hours

Craziness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011
    It is absolute craziness and then they wonder why a normal average person on the street doesn't take public transportation.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011
    Here is a good one I just encountered. When you buy a monitor in California they have a disposal fee added on top of the purchase $18.00 I believe. If it breaks you can't throw it in your trash as they have another disposal fee to get rid of it unless you wait until a particular day where you can go wait in line and then turn it in. What was the money upfront? This is California.
    Tom smile