• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Which is a shame because there is a place for that still now.

Yes the place for Jarres albums from the 70s and 80s is still on my shelf. I am glad he didn't indulge in endless repetition but put the 80s to rest when they were over and moved on. Also for this project Jarre collaborated with numerous electronica artists who left their respective mark in each track.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Yes the place for Jarres albums from the 70s and 80s is still on my shelf. I am glad he didn't indulge in endless repetition but put the 80s to rest when they were over and moved on. Also for this project Jarre collaborated with numerous electronica artists who left their respective mark in each track.

Exactly. He tried to replicate some of his 80s sound in TEO & TEA a few years ago -- rather unsuccessfully (although several of the tracks there are guilty pleasures). But in the last 15 years, he's been more interested in exploring soundscapes and renewing his sounds, like the experimental/ambient albums GEOMETRY OF LOVE and SESSIONS 2000. This new collaborative project is just an extension of that -- what I love about it is how Jarre's sound is filtered through all these unique composers, whether it's Carpenter or Tangerine Dream or Hans Zimmer or Vince Clarke or whatever.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Lost in Time (2005) - Thetis

Celtic styled folk music. Some songs are in German others are in English. Whoever likes Clannad should check this fine album out.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2015
    Synchrotones wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Synchrotones wrote
    Now onto JM Jarre's new album... smile

Just listened to the clips...awful.

I quite like it. It's quite dancey though. Let's face it, the Jarre from the 80s is long gone.

I'm looking forward to hearing it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Very recognisably so as well!
    I hear them more than I do Jarre.
    I'm not sure what I think of this album. It's not bad. In fact I quite enjoy it, but there doesn't seem to be much unity to it, sounding indeed for all the world like a electronics artists compilation album
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Electronica 1 The Time Machine (2015) - bow Jean Michel Jarre

I bought this a the local record store today (alongside Beethoven's Violin Concerto op 61). This is bliss! This is awesome and absolutely gorgeous! Alan said this sounded like a compilation. It does to some extend. I am amazed though who much conceptual density Jarre managed to instil in this album nevertheless. A paramount achievement.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2015
    What did you pay for it, if I may ask? I've been struggling to find it to a decent price (I'm just interested in the regular CD edition).
    I am extremely serious.
  4. € 17.99 Quite normal hereabouts.
  5. I paid £8.99 on iTunes.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2015
    Synchrotones wrote
    I paid £8.99 on iTunes.

Yeah, but in this case I want the physical disc. 18 Euros is too steep for me at the moment.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. The cover of my digipack Jarre CD is upside down. I wonder if this is on purpose or if I have a misprint that will eventually be worth a million Euros? confused dizzy
  7. NP: Rattle that Lock (2015) - David Gilmour
    On Spotify

This is classy but Gilmour remains firmly inside his comfort zone. Some tracks reference material as old as "Dark Side of the Moon". Not sure, if I need this on my shelf.

It just occurs to me that Waters/Gilmour never did a Bond song. Neither did Jagger/Richards, who I seem to remember were considered once.

Volker
  8. NP: Symphony No 2 Romantic - Howard Hanson

Magnificent!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Symphony No 2 Romantic - Howard Hanson

Magnificent!

I saw ALIEN at the cinema a week after buying the soundtrack and immediately knew it wasn't Jerry in the closing credits, taking note what the music was and hunting it down, I couldn't find it in any store back in 79 but struck gold at the Library where I loaned it and recorded it on cassette.

I have the complete works of Hanson now on the DELOS label.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Deutsche Grammophon: 100 Master Works of Classical Music (2015)

A 5 CD set that I intend to give to my 13 year old niece for Christmas. Many works are represented only in excerpts but for my niece this could just be the right thing. She's been learning the clarinet for some years now and so already had some exposure to classical music. I think she'll like this.
    I have spend some with creating the digital copy that she will get as a bonus. I had to tag composer, orchestra and conductor for every individual cue. Oh, the labours of love! wink

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2015
    NP: SIMPLE THINGS - Zero 7

Timmer knows how much I love this album and I usually give it a good listen every few weeks but Christ it has been a while!

Absolute bliss. This is post-work musical escapism at it's very best. Of course, I am also holding a beer. And drinking it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015
    Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4. I recently got a broken Pioneer SA9900 that was headed to the dumpster and was able to repair it fairly easily. It looked terrible as it was covered with 40 years of nicotine. But underneath as I cleaned it was a beautiful shiny unit which now has a place in my system. The 44 lb amp has really nice sound especially in the quiet passages. You can hear a single instrument clearly as long as there isn't any ambient noise. Right now I'm comparing different recordings of the 4th and the difference is quite clear between digitally recorded and remastered analog. I'd give you the names but they wouldn't mean anything to you.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  10. Russian Easter Overture - Rimski-Korsakov
    The Lark Ascending - Vaughan Williams
    Symphony No 2 Mysterious Mountain - Alan Hovhaness
    Concert Suite from Close Encounter of the Third Kind - John Williams

60 Minutes. Quite a playlist.

smile Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2015
    I absolutely love the Russian Easter Overture. I have a recording of it with Stokowski conducting the Chicago Symphony, analog but still nice. Goes along with Capricco Italien.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015
    Mahler's Adagio from his 10th Symphony. He only finished the first movement but the Adagio certainly conveys the anguish that he went through finding out his wife was sleeping with someone else. It is also a work film composers studied. I can hear some Herrmann in it.
    Tom smile
  11. Lumen in Christo - Howard Hanson

Whoever likes "big" choral film music like "Ben-Hur" or "Lord of the Rings" should check this out. Amazing.

smile Volker
  12. Do you even have a song that you're not sure whether you like it or not, where listening to different aspects of the same song evokes that dual feeling?

I've just come across Stan Ridgway's song Camouflage and this song is one of these. On the one hand there's several reminders of a country music style that I've never been keen on, but I am enjoying much of the melody - particularly the chorus.

Anyone have a similar response to a song?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. "Camouflage" is part or my 80s song collection. I very much like the music but I was always alienated by the lyrics. This mystic-military-anti-Vietcong-patriotic stuff isn't for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2015
    NP: METALLIC SPHERES (The Orb & David Gilmour)

Smooth stuff. This reminds me -- I should pick up the new Gilmour album already!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: METALLIC SPHERES (The Orb & David Gilmour)

Smooth stuff. This reminds me -- I should pick up the new Gilmour album already!

It isn't anything you've not heard before but it is enjoyable.

Metallic Spheres, on the other hand, has had plenty of plays by me since its release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    It isn't anything you've not heard before but it is enjoyable.

That's fine by me. I don't expect Gilmour to plow new ground at this point.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2015 edited
    NP: STAND UP (Jethro Tull)

A classic album that I purchased because my father recommended it once upon a time. Great stuff, but that goes without saying. I remember loving the pop-up vinyl that my dad owned. I only have the CD.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. NP: James Last Live in London

Legendary concert recorded live in Albert Hall 1978. James Last in his heyday. The second half opens with the theme from Star Wars. JL clearly lifted the orchestration from Meco. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2015
    NP: MESSE À L'USAGE DES PAROISSES (Francois Couperin)

Nothing like fine church organ music to start off a sunny Sunday!
    I am extremely serious.
  15. NP: Magical Mystery Tour (1967) - John, Paul, George and Ringo

I think, this is my favourite BEATLES album.

smile Volker