• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    I think it has probably been over 20 years since I last heard LOVE OVER GOLD, a great album but I played it to death.

Me too. Same with BROTHERS IN ARMS (which I've played even more), but LOVE OVER GOLD is the one that has had the greatest staying power, despite the million times I've heard it.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. My nice just played "Le Coucou" by Luis-Claude Daquin on the piano and I found that it reminds me greatly of the main theme from LOVE STORY by Francis Lai.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Bill Haley And His Comets

and other Rock'n'Roll classic acts. Incredible this stuff is 60 years old. Sounds as fresh ever. It's immortal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2016 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Bill Haley And His Comets

and other Rock'n'Roll classic acts. Incredible this stuff is 60 years old. Sounds as fresh ever. It's immortal.

I had a cassette with them back in the 80s -- an original cassette, even. Old-school rock'n'roll was really my first true musical love once I grew away from kiddie records.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2016
    You 'n' me both, kid. love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016 edited
    The Endless River by PINK FLOYD

The 5.1 mix on blu-ray... technically perfect, if only more albums were released this way... to hear it mastered and engineered like I'm sitting there in the studio is a stunning experience... musically it's an acquired taste... I love some parts of it, some others not, but there's no denying the rich soundscapes here make an impression on this instrumental music fan. I adore the more accessible tunes, and the final song (the only one with lyrics).

The only problem I have with this release, and this is only a rant considering the little box it came in, my collection consists of jewel cases and their variations, how in the hell am I gonna fit this with my other CD's ? crazy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NP: Stay Gold (2014) - First Aid Kit

I encountered the song "My Silver Lining" on a Renault commercial and fell in love with it.

Volker
  4. NP: The Hunting of the Snark (1986) - Mike Batt

Magical. Superb.
  5. NP: Nothing has changed. (2014) - David Bowie

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2016
    NP: LOST THEMES (John Carpenter)

Was never a big fan of the composer Carpenter (except the odd theme or two), but I dig this studio album in which his dark, minimalistic grooves are allowed to expand and develop further. Some of it is rather "prog rockey". There's no denying JC's influence on a LOT of contemporary electronic scores, especially those that strive for a retro sound.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I wonder if Carpenter's most influential piece wouldn't actually be Assault on Precinct 13. I'd have my reasons, but I'd need someone who is actually an expert in the 1980s to tell me.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 4 HENK BADDINGS
    listen to more classical music!
  7. NP: Foxtrot (1972) - Genesis

What an absolutely superb album. A work or art.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2016 edited
    GORECKI - SYMPHONY NO. 3 (SYMPHONY OF SORROWFUL SONGS) / 3 OLDEN STYLE PIECES

The first movement from the Naxos album (which is 27 minutes long) is the music that is used to chilling effect in the 1993 Peter Weir drama 'Fearless' (one of my personal faves) starring Jeff Bridges. That hypnotic and gorgeous music has such profound emotional impact during the finale, this piece has become synonym with that film. I can't think of one without the other. I can't think of music that would fit better for that particular sequence. The CD is a gift from my dad, and I love the rest this album holds just as much. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2016
    I'm still listening to the Badings works
  8. NP: Concerto for Group and Orchestra (1969) - John Lord
    Deep Purple & The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Malcolm Arnold

Outstanding. Where has the creativity gone that governed the popular music of this time?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2016
    I'd be interested in hearing this
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Concerto for Group and Orchestra (1969) - John Lord
    Deep Purple & The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Malcolm Arnold

Outstanding. Where has the creativity gone that governed the popular music of this time?

Volker

Ahhh! This is a superb album. Love it.

And yes Tom, you should track it down.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : CONCERTO FOR GROUP AND ORCHESTRA - Deep Purple

Prog rock meets the symphony. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by no less than Malcolm Arnold.

It is on Spotify for those interested.

I wonder if Arnold had anything to do with it composing wise. I'm sure he was an advisor at the very least.
    Tom

Possibly? I don't know. Jon Lord had a classical education and was an exceptional musician, he's credited with doing the first symphony orchestra / rock crossover.

Check it out Tom, I think it's worth your time.

Here you go Tom, you asked about this back in 2014
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Damn, I think this would be even more up my alley than Tom. shocked

Prog rock? Check !
    Orchestra? Check !
    Not too familiar with Deep Purple actually, so I'll see how it goes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's on Spotify, check it out Gilles.
  10. Since I don't use that, I'll look for it elsewhere (I have my sources).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Damn, I think this would be even more up my alley than Tom. shocked

Prog rock? Check !
    Orchestra? Check !
    Not too familiar with Deep Purple actually, so I'll see how it goes.

I will not denigrate the 'LSO Plays Classic Rock' albums that I loved in my teenage years, since they were instrumental in my love for film music later on, but in my adult years, I've always been skeptical to orchestral renditions of prog rock or electronic music or whatever. Maybe this is the exception that proves the rule (there are a few).
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Well, it's not an orchestral cover of rock music but an original composition. There have been some adventures of that kind in those years. In the early 70s Barclay James Harvest toured UK university venues with an orchestra comprised of students. It was a financial disaster but some of the recordings are great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's nothing at all like LSO plays Classic Rock, Thor.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anyone else besides me heard Jaz Coleman's The Doors Concerto? It's pretty damn good, featuring the Prague Orchestra with Nigel Kennedy on violin.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2016
    I just received from Naxos a CD called Manhattan Intermezzo with music written by Neil Sedaka, Keith Emerson, and Duke Ellington. These are classical works. Have not yet made a determination about them yet
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I had no idea the talent of Keith Emerson and Neil Sedaka
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Does anyone have an opinion about the "Concerto Macabre" from Herrmann?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2016 edited
    NP: TRAUER CANTATE (Georg Philipp Telemann)

Even though I'm not a fan of cantatas, I love the religious-baroque backdrop of this. This is a Harmonia Mundi recording from 2001 (part of the 50th anniversary 30-CD box, which my dad gave me years ago).
    I am extremely serious.