• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Okay, my above Christmas one was a short clip from the first Christmas episode of "Futurama" (Christopher Tyng).

For my next clip you'll have to send me a letter with neatly typed, double spaced, Courier bolded text with the name of three composers I am thinking of, so you can qualify.
    The letter must be post marked yesterday and mailed priority mail. You must sign it in blood and use your mother's maiden name.

Then I will put your name into a hat and wear it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. New clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxZFOHc8Ll4

Initial clues: black & white film. Composer has barely any [credited] composer credits.
    Sorry about the quality -- best I could get.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012
    I want to hear something more contemporary, in crisp, clear sound!!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Try Tyler Bates. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Wasn't long ago I saw the Futuramy Christmas episode. Might have guessed it if I had heard the clip in time.

I've no idea where the latest clip is from.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    At first listen, mystery clip #13 reminds me, by its saxophone phrases, of Ernest Gold's PRESSURE POINT score.
    But I know it's not from that.

Seems like this piece could range anytime between 1958 & 1962, IMHO.

I doubt it's prior to 1956 since its musical vocabulary is more advanced than the music from leading Golden Agers. My guess would be it was written by a then-young composer along the lines of a David Amram or a Richard Markowitz (though I'm familiar with most of the 4 or 5 scores that Amram wrote - so I don't think this mystery music is by him).

Could this be from a Roger Corman-type cheapie - say one of the things written by Fred Katz?

[I also think this type of scoring no longer had much currency after 1965 or so, although monochrome films were still being made in 1966]
  4. Cobweb,

You're friggin' Sherlock Musical Holmes. Yes, the score is from that range, the latter half. You're getting close, as the persos is connected to one of the people on your list. But my composer here ws not known as a composer, but rather for his orchestrating.

No Corman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Cobweb wrote
    At first listen, mystery clip #13 reminds me, by its saxophone phrases, of Ernest Gold's PRESSURE POINT score.
    But I know it's not from that.

Seems like this piece could range anytime between 1958 & 1962, IMHO.

I doubt it's prior to 1956 since its musical vocabulary is more advanced than the music from leading Golden Agers. My guess would be it was written by a then-young composer along the lines of a David Amram or a Richard Markowitz (though I'm familiar with most of the 4 or 5 scores that Amram wrote - so I don't think this mystery music is by him).

Could this be from a Roger Corman-type cheapie - say one of the things written by Fred Katz?

[I also think this type of scoring no longer had much currency after 1965 or so, although monochrome films were still being made in 1966]

Impressive, most impressive.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Cobweb,

You're friggin' Sherlock Musical Holmes. Yes, the score is from that range, the latter half. You're getting close, as the persos is connected to one of the people on your list. But my composer here ws not known as a composer, but rather for his orchestrating.

No Corman.

Much obliged, Musical Watson - but not so elementary! smile

My mind was going through the names of orchestrators for all the big guys:
    The mystery music doesn't sound like Alexander Courage.
    It's not Arthur Morton, nor Herbert Spencer nor Al Woodbury.

I was going to take a blind pot-shot and say it might be from a 1962 flick (such as THIRD OF A MAN by Samuel Matlovsky) which I've never seen nor heard. However, I don't think so.
    Since you mention this orchestrator is in some way connected to a name I previously mentioned, I confess I don't recall whoever orchestrated for Ernest Gold or David Amram. Markowitz is known for his music for the WILD WILD WEST TV series - maybe the connection is an orchestrator who also wrote some TV scores?

I'm running out of guesses at this point... slant
  5. The connection is closer to Markowitz and people who worked for Markowitz, whom this mystery composer worked with. His name has been on quite a few known and famous film scores, for orchestration.
    The '60's is the decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012
    well, I've come this close, but I don't know which orchestratrors worked with whom, so ...
    ... perhaps somebody else can take the ball forward from here?
  6. I will reveal tomorrow.

In the mean time, two final clues (unless I am replying to somebody), which sugnificantly narrows it down:

The year is 1962 (you got the cut off date spot on). The connection is Jack Smalley, whom worked for Markowitz orchestrating, co-composing, and ghostwriting on some projects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2012 edited
    Rakshasa! I believe I've got it.

There's more than 1 connection, though.

Jack Smalley later worked for Basil Poledouris - Poledouris also utilized orchestrator Greig McRitchie, who previously had been orchestrating for Jerry Fielding.

Turns out that Greig McRitchie had scored a 1962 movie! I was only aware of McRitchie writing music for a single episode of KOLCHAK: THE NIGHT STALKER entitled "Horror In The Heights" (you know - the one in which an Indian restaurant in Chicago has Swastikas painted all over its walls).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the YouTube sample probably comes from a video of 1962's THIS IS NOT A TEST.

If I'm right, THIS IS NOT A TEST is a low-budget affair that never got distributed theatrically.
    It's for fans of Ed Wood-type flicks.

Instead of watching the entire "movie" on YouTube, I'd much rather eat the Beef Curry lick that did the flaming-sword dance in Kolchak's colon!

Rakshasa!
  7. Ding, ding, ding!

You are hearing the end credits music of that 1962 film. He had more connections, but I thought Smalley was more than enough.

I did a little searching to see if he had scored more than what was listed on his IMDB, but only found that m issing Kolchak credit (which I submitted), but found none. I'm guessing he did what other composers during that period did, library music, wirting with other composers on one film, doing uncredited work on foreign films (like Bill Conti).

Flaming sword dances can end in being burned. With fire. I suggested you do the Dance of Joy with Numfar.
  8. Okay, I stumbled upon this today and was very smitten with the simple, yet wonderful score.

It's only been on LP, never on CD. That needs to be corrected!

The compsoer is almost never brought up here, but the co-composer on one of the songs in the film, is brought up often (and the other composer of that song, is also mentioned with some frequency).

Here is a medly of score from the film:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkyiI3CJjb4
  9. No idea. Sounds like something from the seventies? But that's the best I can do.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. Well, aren't you quick. '70's it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012
    I'm leaning towards the early 1970s with clip #14; the use of the echoplex on instruments was a regular practice in the late '60s & early '70s.

Sounds as though it could have been recorded in England as well as in the U.S., so the nationality of the composer could be European or American.

Several possibilities run through my head, like Roy Budd or Riz Ortolani (but most of Roy Budd's soundtracks have surfaced on CD).
    It's likely to be American as pie, though, such as Billy Goldenberg's RED SKY AT MORNING or Michael Small's THE SPORTING CLUB.
    (I had owned these LPs at one time, but no longer. The mystery music is something else besides RED SKY or SPORTING CLUB, but it's of the same ilk I'd say).

I think I can rule out Fred Karlin, though, because most of his stuff from the '70s has never been released on any media format ... but I still don't know the source of this mystery clip ...
  11. American born composer.
    Not Budd, Riz, Small, Karlin, or Goldenberg.

The film is a little odd ball in it's combo, but has a wonderful little emotional core.

Did some uncredited orchestration for Tiomkin once.
  12. Early '70's. Composer hasn't done anything in over ten years, at least according to IMDB. Will reveal tomorrow, along with a new clip.
  13. Okay, the film is, depending on what source you check, from 1970 or 1971.

"Zachariah"
    An old western with a handful of scenes with electric guitars and drums, with some famous musicians making acting spots, including musician/drummer Elvin Jones playhing -- very well - the main villain.
    Zachariah and Matthew (a very young Don Johnson) are two good friends who quickly go on different paths in life, one toward violence, and one toward non violence, eventually seperating, and going on their respective journeys.
    The film is very odd ball in it's combo, but is just sort of "works". It's entertaining and like I said, has a good emotional core.

The score, which takes about half the film's musical pieces (others are done by musicians in the film as source) is by Jimmie Haskell whom at the time was doing a fair share of westerns, no doubt likely from a good word from Tiomkin, after doing uncredited orchestrations on "The Alamo".

Again, only on LP, never on CD, though Amazon is offering MP3's (for those who are so inclined).

EDIT: the two mystery film composers for the song, which was "Grave Digger", are Michael Kamen and Mark Snow, both of which, along with other members of the band, can be see mostly naked singing the song around a bed while one of the main leads and a female character make love. So, it turns out the truth is out there...

The next offering should probably be fairly known, so this contest might not last too long this time.
    The composer has been working for a few decades and is well known, though not necessarily for good reasons.

Mystery Score Clip 15:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTwDoAW78BM
  14. Will reveal tomorrow, and possibly put up another clip. Possibly.
  15. Okay, reveal:

The film had a troubled production leading to the ousting of John McTiernan. Originally titled the same as the book, "Eaters of the Dead" later became "The 13th Warrior", and Graeme Revell's mainly orchestral based score with eatern instruments of all kinds, was tossed out.

The cue I put up was his equivalent of "The Fire Dragon".

Myster Score Clip 16

The film is not new. The score has not been released on LP or CD. The composer was not the first on the film, but he did a good job and I'm guessing he had time.

Usually known these days for other genres, back then he did work in this genre more often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a22yrRNB11s
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2012
    justin boggan wrote
    Myster Score Clip 16

They Call Me "MYSTER" Boggan! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    justin boggan wrote
    Okay, reveal:

The film had a troubled production leading to the ousting of John McTiernan. Originally titled the same as the book, "Eaters of the Dead" later became "The 13th Warrior", and Graeme Revell's mainly orchestral based score with eatern instruments of all kinds, was tossed out.

The cue I put up was his equivalent of "The Fire Dragon".

Believe it or not, I was thinking - when I heard that clip # 15 - that is was a pre-2002 score, most likely late 1990s.
    Turns out to be from 1999!
    Rather unsure of who the composer was, though. The number of Graeme Revell soundtracks I own I could count on one hand and I don't really like any of the ones I do have - so - I had no idea that was from Revell's rejected score for THE 13TH WARRIOR.
  16. A label could release this one. It's Revell's best work probably.

Michael Crichton got rid of Revell without hearing the work at all. He hired Goldsmith as the first thing after firing McTiernan.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    justin boggan wrote

The film is not new. The score has not been released on LP or CD. The composer was not the first on the film, but he did a good job and I'm guessing he had time.

Usually known these days for other genres, back then he did work in this genre more often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a22yrRNB11s

It starts out reminding me of THE NIGHT VISITOR, with its Henry Mancini-type flute sound.
    But then that flute later on gets echoplexed, sounding like THE ILLUSTRATED MAN (I know it's not from any of these since they have soundtracks and I know them by heart).

I recall Quincy Jones using the echoplex around that time, too, but this mystery clips sounds as though it's from a Western and I don't think Quincy scored any Westerns that have never been on LP.

I do, however, propose that the item from this clip was made between 1969 and 1971 (my guestimate).

Would this be from a TV-movie or a theatrical release?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A label could release this one. It's Revell's best work probably.

Michael Crichton got rid of Revell without hearing the work at all. He hired Goldsmith as the first thing after firing McTiernan.

I prefer Revell's score over Goldsmith's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  17. Revell said in an interview he kept the rights to his score, so I guess it is up to some label to work it out with him.

Cobweb,
    You are correct, it's not Quincy Jones, and it is a western.

It's a film, and you've nailed the year range.

There is also not boot, that I know of, for the score either.

The composer barely works at all these days, but he is in his 70's.

Cobweb wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    Myster Score Clip 16

They Call Me "MYSTER" Boggan! biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJbfCQqiD0M#t=5m09s
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    RE: mystery Western score between '69 & '71

Here's some round-ups of possible suspects:

VALDEZ IS COMING ('71) by Charles Gross (b. 1934)
    SHOOTOUT ('71) by Dave Grusin (b. 1934)
    SKIN GAME ('71) by David Shire (b. 1937)
    HITCHED or LOCK, STOCK & BARREL (both 1971 TV movies) by Patrick Williams (b. 1939)

I was also thinking of Marvin Hamlisch's FLAP from 1970, but Hamlisch hasn't even turned age 70 yet (b. 1944).

Also, there's Westerns by Johnny Mandel, Dominic Frontiere, or Riz Ortolani during this time period, but all these guys are 80 or older.