• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. This question will really only apply to those who have MP3 players like the iPod, but others may know this just from instinct.

Anyway, what are some of your most-played single cues? Do the composers of these cues correspond to your overall favorite composers?

The second question may seem obvious, but according to my iPod, the top 3 most played cues are by John Williams ("Attack Of The Car" and "The Ferry Scene" from War of the Worlds with 72 plays and 68 plays, respectively, and "Anderton's Great Escape" from Minority Report with 54 plays), but my overall favorite composer is Thomas Newman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012 edited
    My most played tracks in itunes are tracks that played on repeat over night because I forgot to turn it off. Fish from Happy feet is the winner, with 457 plays. I can't even remember what it sounds like.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012
    shocked biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I'm not sure I can see that right now, my laptop had crashed and iTunes was put on another computer.

Before it crashed, and I think it was after one year, I posted somewhere that Baba Yetu was on top, by far!! After that Blood Color from Red Cliff. This is what I wrote on Januari 1st:

My laptop was re-installed a while back. I don't remember exactly when unfortunately, I'd guess one to two years back, but I may be wrong (thinking about it, it is only one and a half years old)? So it gives an idea of the most played tracks. I was very surprised by the list:

174 x Baba Yetu Christopher Tin (Calling All Dawns)
    110 x Blood Color (Red Cliff)

Then the next score in line is
    70 x Secret Revealed (The Touch)

And then Inception
    64 x Time (Inception)

I would have guessed that The Dream is Collapsing and the score to Tron would have ended much higher... Also, Woad to Ruin and All of Them (King Arthur) should belong to my most played tracks ever!!

Prince of Persia and Sanctum is going up really fast since this week.

I'll have to look on the other PC what is like now, after a couple of weeks.

About instinct, I think that could be way off. I was suprised to see my list, I really thought I had played other tracks more often!
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    174 times!? That's insane. shocked shocked shocked

How do you not get tired of it!? Doesn't it ruin the novelty somewhat? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    For 2011, my most played tracks were

Hope of Labour is the Cause of the World from The Miner's Hymns by Jóhan Jóhannson
    Fantastic finale to a work for brass by the Icelandic composer. His first film score too I think. Quite a heavy loaded score, very moody and slow. I like quite a bit of his other work, but some of it turns me of. He got some fame this year for the music in the Battle LA trailer.

River and Childhood from Tree of Life by Alexandre Desplat
    The latter is fantastic, bringing back the atmosphere from De battre mon coeur.

Titles from Balada Trista de Trompeta by Roque Baños
    Got this score from Jordi and Marcel in Ghent. I love this opening track Titles; so violent and powerful, fitting the main titles on screen. Play it loud! It's and often gruesome film that more and more goes over the top as the story continues, I was rather amazed most of the time by how odd it all was. The love theme is glorious, and the song with the same name as the title that appears a few time during the movie is quite a memorable one.

Santa Fe and Postcards from Italy from Beirut
    Beirut released a new cd this year (The Rip Tide) and Santa Fe was the most popular song. Catchy stuff. Postcards from Italy is my favourite song of them and I revisited it after thir new album. Playing it again ever since.

The Devil is in the Details from Hanna by The Chemical Brothers
    Another favourite comes from an unlikely source; the score for Hanna by the Chemical Brothers. Their super catchy and quirky music box theme got stuck in my head since I first heard it.

Steady the Buffs from The Iron Lady by Thomas Newman
    He had a good year, and one of my favourite tracks was the last on on the Iron Lady score. It starts with typical Newman atmosphere and then suddenly there's this magnificent jig-like fiddle (?) crescendo thing. Bloody fantastic. It ends with a hopeful note. Lovely score!

The Candidate from The Ides of March by Alexandre Desplat
    What a terrific theme this is. This is the end credits from quite a good movie, and here Desplat turns the theme into a funky odd piece. The whole score is one of my favourites of 2011.

Symphony Nr. 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), 2nd movement by Gorecki
    I'm sure you all knew this piece long before me and I probably have heard it before unconsciously but it was for Malick to bring in to my attention in Tree of Life. The whole symphony is beautiful but the highlight is the second movement Lento et Largo. Wow! Lots of the music of Tree of Life was to my liking. Thanks for whoever posted that list of music (franz I think?)!

Other favourites: some tracks of Tintin and some tracks of The Skin I live In. I also listened a lot to The Green Mile from Thomas Newman (Coffee on the Mile and The Green Mile is both highlights of his career). Lots of stuff I forget or didn't track too (Youtube, music in the car).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    How can I see this in iTunes?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    View > View Options > Plays
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    View > View Options > Plays

I have Norwegian words instead, so I'm not sure I can find it. There is a column that says 'avspillinger' in the listing, but that can't be right.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There should be an option somewhere to tick 'plays' (or whatever the Norwegian equivalent is) which will then add an extra column to your iTunes library with play count for each track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    There should be an option somewhere to tick 'plays' (or whatever the Norwegian equivalent is) which will then add an extra column to your iTunes library with play count for each track.

Actually, the 'avspillinger' one may be the 'plays' you can sort by, but it doesn't make sense. It lists Thomas Newman's BROTHERS as the most-played (with 11 for each track). That is neither the most-played score over the last year, nor have I listened to it 11 times. So some things are wonky.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Two tracks I have become especially obsessed with lately are "Rectifier" from Tron Legacy and "Discord & Harmony" from The Iron Lady. The latter piece is especially amazing because even though I've had that score for less than a month, I've already listened to it close to 40 times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here's my Top 47 most played tracks.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Both War of the Worlds and Revenge of the Sith are the most represented albums on my Top 25 Most Played list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregt wrote
    For 2011, my most played tracks were

Hope of Labour is the Cause of the World from The Miner's Hymns by Jóhan Jóhannson
    Fantastic finale to a work for brass by the Icelandic composer. His first film score too I think. Quite a heavy loaded score, very moody and slow. I like quite a bit of his other work, but some of it turns me of. He got some fame this year for the music in the Battle LA trailer.

River and Childhood from Tree of Life by Alexandre Desplat
    The latter is fantastic, bringing back the atmosphere from De battre mon coeur.

Titles from Balada Trista de Trompeta by Roque Baños
    Got this score from Jordi and Marcel in Ghent. I love this opening track Titles; so violent and powerful, fitting the main titles on screen. Play it loud! It's and often gruesome film that more and more goes over the top as the story continues, I was rather amazed most of the time by how odd it all was. The love theme is glorious, and the song with the same name as the title that appears a few time during the movie is quite a memorable one.

Santa Fe and Postcards from Italy from Beirut
    Beirut released a new cd this year (The Rip Tide) and Santa Fe was the most popular song. Catchy stuff. Postcards from Italy is my favourite song of them and I revisited it after thir new album. Playing it again ever since.

The Devil is in the Details from Hanna by The Chemical Brothers
    Another favourite comes from an unlikely source; the score for Hanna by the Chemical Brothers. Their super catchy and quirky music box theme got stuck in my head since I first heard it.

Steady the Buffs from The Iron Lady by Thomas Newman
    He had a good year, and one of my favourite tracks was the last on on the Iron Lady score. It starts with typical Newman atmosphere and then suddenly there's this magnificent jig-like fiddle (?) crescendo thing. Bloody fantastic. It ends with a hopeful note. Lovely score!

The Candidate from The Ides of March by Alexandre Desplat
    What a terrific theme this is. This is the end credits from quite a good movie, and here Desplat turns the theme into a funky odd piece. The whole score is one of my favourites of 2011.

Symphony Nr. 3 (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs), 2nd movement by Gorecki
    I'm sure you all knew this piece long before me and I probably have heard it before unconsciously but it was for Malick to bring in to my attention in Tree of Life. The whole symphony is beautiful but the highlight is the second movement Lento et Largo. Wow! Lots of the music of Tree of Life was to my liking. Thanks for whoever posted that list of music (franz I think?)!

Other favourites: some tracks of Tintin and some tracks of The Skin I live In. I also listened a lot to The Green Mile from Thomas Newman (Coffee on the Mile and The Green Mile is both highlights of his career). Lots of stuff I forget or didn't track too (Youtube, music in the car).

100 kudos points for providing youtube links, so people can actually hear what is being talked about. I quite enjoyed The Cause of Labour is the Hope of the World , River, and the Hanna cue was too weird not to get a little enjoyment out of. Didn't really fall for any of the other cues on first listen.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012
    Steven wrote

In one and a half year? That's not too often I guess. Twice a week average?

But I was surprised it was that one on top, so it had been a while since I listened to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote
    Steven wrote

In one and a half year? That's not too often I guess. Twice a week average?

Twice a week for a year and half, on average, is a lot!

Well, to me it is. I tend to do the opposite and neglect my favourite scores because they're my favourite scores -- I don't want the novelty to wear off, which it would if I listened to something 174 times in an 18 month period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012 edited
    To me favourites are favourites because I like to play them a lot. I like to hear them as much as I can... if not, then they wouldn't be favourites.... they would be everything else in my collection. I never have a issue with the novelty wearing off. For instance, my son watches a Star Wars movie twice a week therefore I hear that title theme at least two times a week. Let me tell ya, it's always a joy to hear the LSO play the shit out of that music each and every time the yellow Star Wars logo splashes on screen. I get the same giddy feelings that I did when I first heard the score and I can't wait to hear it again!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'll go through periods of enjoying a particular piece of music ( not necessarily film music ) so much that I play it over and over but I do find I'll need to retire it, I like to feel the hunger of wanting to play it again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I listen to things I love more often than those that I don't, but the scores that I really love I tend to savour and listen to only when I know I can listen to them all the way through with my undivided attention. There are just some scores and pieces of music that I have to sit there and listen to without doing anything else.

But I'm clearly different to others in that I can't repeatedly listen to or watch something without some of the novelty wearing off. I sometimes go years between watching my favourite movies. I don't think I've ever seen a film more than 15 times in my lifetime, if that. It's completely alien to me to be able to watch the same film every week and not get bored of it.

Like Timmer, I will go through periods of playing a particular piece of music over and over again (relative to my standards), but I do get to a point where I have to give it a rest. I've certainly listened to Tintin quite a few times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012
    I often have single tracks on repeat. I don't listen the entire score that many times. But tracks I like I repeat a lot on one day. On my days off mostly, because I don't listen to music at work or on my bike or in the evening. And then after a while I discover something else that is really good and then I play that very intensely.

So the 174 x track was probably played within the first half year of those one and a half years. I didn't even remember playing it that often.

There is a shift though, because of iTunes and such. I used to listen to score albums as a whole, from start to finish. Now I fill my day with seperate tracks, just whatever I feel like. And that could start off with one excellent track repeated 10 times or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote
    I often have single tracks on repeat. I don't listen the entire score that many times. But tracks I like I repeat a lot on one day.

I think I can only listen to the same piece of music twice in one day MAX. Three times kills it! dizzy

I get annoyed with the radio at work playing the same shit every day, it does my head in. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    I think I can only listen to the same piece of music twice in one day MAX. Three times kills it! dizzy

Wow, I'm glad I'm not like that! When I've really falling for a track I can easily listen to it 20 times in a row, and enjoy it 100% each time. Of course overkill will kick in at some point, so I can't listen to it forever.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You people are freaks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2012 edited
    I recently listened to THIS 10-15 times over! It's like a drug, man!

And a few months ago I spent a considerable amount of time listening to THIS

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Listen? Drug? Man, that can only mean one thing. And only one thing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    I recently listened to THIS 10-15 times over!

I don't understand how you can do this!? crazy

I don't understand... cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Listen? Drug? Man, that can only mean one thing. And only one thing.

F that! Here's the 10 hour version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZ7oFKs … re=related

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I recently listened to THIS 10-15 times over!

I don't understand how you can do this!? crazy

I don't understand... cry

Because it's awesome and there is clearly something wrong with YOU! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan nyan nyannyan
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.