• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012
    NICK GLENNIE SMITH - We were soldiers

Shame this composer isn't getting assignments anymore. Well, at least credited assignments.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Vite Strozzate - Ennio Morricone

Enjoyable action score with a lot of familiar parts reminiscent of other scores, but it's a decent package.
  1. Demetris wrote
    NICK GLENNIE SMITH - We were soldiers

Shame this composer isn't getting assignments anymore. Well, at least credited assignments.

From what I've heard Glennie-Smith doesn't feel like doing it anymore, really, just helping people out and writing songs for his girlfriend. I personally think that the experience he had on The Rock broke him down and was a rather traumatic one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    The Amazing Spiderman - Saving New York...

I like to start at 3:00 in... goood stuff
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

NP: The Perfect Storm - James Horner

Magnificent!

-Erik-

Nothing else to say. One of his last great works.

I think you mean one of his many great works.

No, one of his LAST great works is a proper assessment. There aren't too many post-2000 scores that reach the heights that The Perfect Storm does!

-Erik-

Agree 200 %. Only The Four Feathers almost reaches those heights.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. There are post-2000 scores I do prefer to The Perfect Storm. Enemy at the Gates (very underrated), House of Sand and Fog, The Four Feathers, The Missing...
  4. Hans Zimmer - The Thin Red Line

Somehow the right time to play it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There are post-2000 scores I do prefer to The Perfect Storm. Enemy at the Gates (very underrated), House of Sand and Fog, The Four Feathers, The Missing...

Agree, except for THE MISSING.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tried again to listen to Jerry Goldsmith's LEGEND today but boy it is awful or not!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Tried again to listen to Jerry Goldsmith's LEGEND today but boy it is awful or not!

NOT! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    There are post-2000 scores I do prefer to The Perfect Storm. Enemy at the Gates (very underrated), House of Sand and Fog, The Four Feathers, The Missing...

Agree, except for THE MISSING.

THE MISSING is okay, one of his lesser efforts though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Legend is a masterpiece.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Legend is a masterpiece.

Word!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It is what?
  6. A MASTERPIECE!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A MASTERPIECE!!!

Ditto x 1,000,000!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Re: Horner's Spider Man, I think the last 3-4 tracks of this belong on some Greatest Hits collection, especially that piano piece.

That's fine but I'm talking about complete scores. IMO, Spider-Man doesn't even come close to The Perfect Storm.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A MASTERPIECE!!!

Ditto x 1,000,000!

-Erik-

I am taking what you're all having!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    1920 Bitwa Warszawska - Krzesimir Debski
    Just the first track so far. But my, how beautiful.
    Are there any more Polish composers besides Debski and Korzeniowski that I should familiarize myself with? I'm shockingly impressed by both of them.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "That's good! You've taken your first steps into a larger world..." wink

By all means have a listen to Woijcheck Kilar, Michal Lorenc and Zbigniew Preisner for a start!
    If you don't know anything by them, you'll be pleasantly surprised! (Although I tend to find Balkan/Eastern European composers to often be on the moody side -which, I should hasten to add, I actually like!-. Debski is really breaking the mold on that).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Hmm, somehow I didn't realize Preisner and Kilar were Polish. I have a handful of each of their scores...Kilar's "Portrait of a Lady" is in my new-acquisitions-listening-rotation and I've always had a fondness for Preisner after his gorgeous themes in The Secret Garden.

Never really heard of Lorenc so that will be my next investigation smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2012 edited
    Matt, you're into a great ride with those 2 especially Preisner. Check out his red-blue-white trilogy scores, the Dekalog, the beautiful country, it's all about love.....such great music to be discovered!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martjin, from Michal Lorenc, other than the following works which i already have, would you say i am missing something important?

Bandyta
    Exit In Red (Osaczony)
    o rodivich a datech
    rozyska
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. JAMES NEWTON HOWARD - Vertical Limit

Lush and spectacular
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Re: Horner's Spider Man, I think the last 3-4 tracks of this belong on some Greatest Hits collection, especially that piano piece.

That's fine but I'm talking about complete scores. IMO, Spider-Man doesn't even come close to The Perfect Storm.

-Erik-

Many of my favorite Horner scores were released post-2000. Specifically A Beautiful Mind, House of Sand and Fog, Enemy at the Gates, and Avatar. It's a bit early at this point but I could see Spider Man joining that list some day.
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    A MASTERPIECE!!!

Not!

Ranks alongside Under Fire and Papillon (and a few others) as one of my least-listened to Goldsmith scores. Don't like it much at all.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    A MASTERPIECE!!!

Not!

Ranks alongside Under Fire and Papillon (and a few others) as one of my least-listened to Goldsmith scores. Don't like it much at all.

That's 3 masterpieces shocked dizzy
  9. Demetris wrote

if you think this is awful, yet you value Brian Tyler's music so highly, then something is wrong with you dizzy

Legend is not Goldsmtih's best, but it is classic Goldsmith nonetheless. Which means few could / can match that
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LEGEND is a Goldsmith masterpiece, a flawed one yes ( no need to keep going over those syths ) but an incredible and monumental effort, such a superbly complex score for which efforts he basically got shat on, it may well of been his efforts on this which led to him streamlining his scores.