• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2012
    That's okay! We'll just keep on talking about Skyfall until it does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yay! It worked!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Skyfall.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Here's some Bond scores rated by the size and boldness of the font...

ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE

TOMORROW NEVER DIES

Skyfall

goldeneye

wink

Oooh look, a new page biggrin

shame

shame shame cry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I heard Adele's Bond song for the first time today (twice actually, once in the "to" car journey and again during the "from" journey to visit Anne's mum).

I thought it was god-awful, both as a song and as a Bond song. I would be pleased if I never heard it again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE (Elliot Goldenthal)

Wild stuff, but when he talked about how the music reflects different time periods (when he was in Krakow), the whole score came into a different light to me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE (Elliot Goldenthal)

Wild stuff, but when he talked about how the music reflects different time periods (when he was in Krakow), the whole score came into a different light to me.

Skyfall is a pretty good score, isn't it? Oh wait, did I do that wrong?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I see what you did there.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. It's the only Bond score I've listened to ever. Not terribly interested in any others..
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    It's the only Bond score I've listened to ever. Not terribly interested in any others..

Seriously?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Timmer wrote
    christopher wrote
    SKYFALL - Thomas Newman

First listen. Let's see if this is the first bond score I will actually like. I doubt it.

You don't like any Bond scores? Not even Eric Serra's GOLDENEYE?? shocked shocked

Not even that one smile

Granted, I've not heard many of them outside of their films, but I've not been too impressed with any of them. I enjoy the bond theme well enough, but all the stuff besides that usually wears me out by the end. I know you love OHMSS, and I watched that the other day (for the first time!), and it was full of the famous bond thematic material, which was good.

Slightly off topic, in viewing some older Bond films for the first time, I've noticed the huge difference between how films used to be scored and how they are now. For instance, in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE there's this scene where Sean Connery wanders around his hotel room apparently scoping it out (?), and while he wanders around looking at walls and lights and things (Lazenby has a very similar scene in OHMSS - apparently the first order of business when a spy gets a hotel room is to look behind all the pictures and push random spots on the walls) the bond theme is blaring! It's great! Usually these days 007 has to be doing something cool to get his theme played, but not Connery. All he had to do was walk around in a standard hotel room. smile
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    It's the only Bond score I've listened to ever. Not terribly interested in any others..

Seriously?

-Erik-

Bond is one of the few film franchises I actually haven't explored, so that's probably why. That and Indiana Jones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Holy shit!

Remedy that immediately by listening to two of my radio shows.

SKYFALL AND 50 YEARS OF JAMES BOND
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/skyfall-a … ames-bond/

30th ANNIVERSARY OF RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
    http://www.cinematicsound.net/raiders-o … niversary/

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I heard Adele's Bond song for the first time today (twice actually, once in the "to" car journey and again during the "from" journey to visit Anne's mum).

I thought it was god-awful, both as a song and as a Bond song. I would be pleased if I never heard it again.

I absolutely agree with you. Very simplistic orchestration, childish arrangements and the cheesy female backup vocals at the refrain are laughable. The score is soooooo much better.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Argo

Gets better with time. If you like Middle-eastern sounding, atmospheric scores that is smile But it's surely a very relaxing background listen. Not drawing any attention to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Cloud Atlas Tom Tykwer Johnny Klimek Reinhold Heil

I like it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I heard Adele's Bond song for the first time today (twice actually, once in the "to" car journey and again during the "from" journey to visit Anne's mum).

I absolutely agree with you. Very simplistic orchestration, childish arrangements and the cheesy female backup vocals at the refrain are laughable. The score is soooooo much better.

lol tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    AAAAAARGH!! Enough with the bloody SKYFALL already!!!! crazy wink

I wonder if you would respond the same way, if I was to reply to every NP: Skyfall post with a comment about how disappointed I am with the score. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012 edited
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote

I wonder if you would respond the same way, if I was to reply to every NP: Skyfall post with a comment about how disappointed I am with the score. cool

Probably yeah. It's more the hype and omnipresence that gets to me, than the actual value judgements. For the record, I like the score moderately and look forward to seeing the film (not as a Bond fan, which I'm not, but as a Mendes appreciator).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote

Probably yeah. It's more the hype and omnipresence that gets to me, than the actual value judgements. For the record, I like the score moderately and look forward to seeing the film (not as a Bond fan, which I'm not, but as a Mendes appreciator).

Cool. I probably won't be able to see it until it comes out on BluRay. And as a non Mendes fan, I'll see it as a Bond fan and a Daniel Craig appreciator.
  5. Pascal Gaigne - Le cou de la girafe (The Giraffe's Neck)

A beautiful heartfelt work by a composer working mostly in Spain. I discovered it long time ago, mostly thanks to the exquisite main theme, a very playful minimalistic melody that plays through the whole score. Looking for works that explore a child's perspective in the world (the movie features a 9 year old girl pushing her grandfather to find a grandmother she never met and uncovering a family secret while at that, sadly I haven't seen it and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere). Sense of delicate wisdom, heartfelt restrained emotions, a sense of sincere simplicity, these are the features of this largely unknown work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Assassin's Creed 3 - Lorne Balfe

I certainly do not miss Jesper Kyd in this score. Lorne did a good job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: Assassin's Creed 3 - Lorne Balfe

I certainly do not miss Jesper Kyd in this score. Lorne did a good job.

Same here! I never liked Kyd's scores for this franchise (not a big fan of the rest of his work either to be frank).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BEYOND RANGOON - Hans Zimmer

Good score, very enjoyable album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tower Heist Christopher Beck

A fun little heist-jazz type score, something I'm a bit of a sucker for. It's all about the double bass. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Quantum of Solace David Arnold

Perhaps my favourite Bond score. (Though since I don't really listen to anything pre-Tomorrow Never Dies, save for The Living Daylights once every two years or so, it seems a might unfair to say it's my favourite of all the Bond scores - simply because I don't listen to all of them!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2012 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BEYOND RANGOON - Hans Zimmer

Good score, very enjoyable album.

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y! Something other than Bond Schmond from y'all. My fav Zimmer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Two things strike me as ironic about that post; that a Zimmer reference is considered a break from current discussions; and that you're complaining about a repeated topic. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Quantum of Solace David Arnold

Perhaps my favourite Bond score. (Though since I don't really listen to anything pre-Tomorrow Never Dies, save for The Living Daylights once every two years or so, it seems a might unfair to say it's my favourite of all the Bond scores - simply because I don't listen to all of them!)

A really enjoyable score and my favourite of Arnold's Bond scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE | danny elfman

Great score. There's a drive in this one that keeps it going for long. The opening track is one of Elfman's best. Never seen the film/documentary though.
    Kazoo