• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Jim Ware wrote
    NP: W.E. - Abel Korzeniowski

Brooklyn Faces has the most shockingly blatant temp track lift that I've heard in a while. If this was not temped with Philip Glass' Mishima then I'm a banana.

I think of that score as a homage to Glass's score to Mishima and Umebayashi's score to In the Mood for Love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012
    NP: LAST MAN STANDING (Elmer Bernstein)

This is an underrated score! Love the menacing ostinato in the main theme and the beautiful melancholy in "Free".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Per Pochi Dollari Ancora - Gianni Ferrio

Browsing around iTunes sometimes takes me to some unusual places and this time it took me to Ferrio's score for For A Few Extra Dollars (as one it's English titles states). The name suggests links with Leone's Dollars trilogy but I have no idea if there is a link.

After the Dollars Trilogy, about 700 more spaghetti westerns were made. Approximately 250 of them had the word "dollars" somewhere in the title... The other 450 had the word "gringo" in the title.

Anyway, kinda funny that they used the word "dollars" in their movie titles in an effort to cash in some dollars.

FalkirkBairn wrote
    But the music is all you would expect from a Spaghetti Western - including a theme composed by Ennio Morricone himself (which is the best part of the score).

I've never gotten used to the fact that Morricone's lovely theme from I malamondo was used in a western score. It's as unwestern as one can get, to my ears. But perhaps I'm just too used to the original use of the theme.

Peter cuba
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012
    The Sessions - Marco Beltrami

This is really lovely, very un-Beltrami.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012
    Two Mules for Sister Sara - Ennio Morricone

Hard to get that main theme out of your head - especially that bit with the inspired two-note mule bray motif. smile
  2. Great use of woodwinds in that theme.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012 edited
    NP: THE TEMPEST (Elliot Goldenthal)

Interesting, "artsy-fartsy" (copyright: Timmer) score. Melancholic, dreamy, weird, powerful.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Atlantis The Lost Empire - James Newton Howard

punk punk punk

The choral work in this score is outstanding! So powerful!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's a bit uneven score -- a bit too much bombastic stuff for my taste. But "The Crystal Chamber" is absolutely gorgeous. I wish they had played that in Ghent instead of the main theme.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The whole score is simply magnificent. I hope Howard returns to this form soon!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You will be left with the hope alone.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. John Barry - 007 - On Her Majesty's Secret Service

One of action masterpieces finally on an original CD. I wish the CD was sequenced a bit differently, but you can't have everything, can you? An amazing work anyway.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: OVERBOARD (Alan Silvestri)

Love the synth funk cues; some of the other stuff I could be without.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    You will be left with the hope alone.

And you know that for a fact?

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well i don't use the word 'fact' very often wink But if he continues down the path he's at during the last 5 or more years, there's no chance he'll return to that style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yeah... that next Shyamalan score is certainly going to suck! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Avatar - James Horner

The more I listen to this the better it gets! I also had the pleasure to hear a live suite from this score, which was the highlight of a sci-fi fantasy concert I took Liam and my wife to last Friday!

Superb score!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Of course no, but his Shyamalan scores are nothing like Atlantis; wholly different style smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Avatar - James Horner

The more I listen to this the better it gets! I also had the pleasure to hear a live suite from this score, which was the highlight of a sci-fi fantasy concert I took Liam and my wife to last Friday!

Superb score!

-Erik-

Absolutely agree!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Agree too. It quickly became my favourite Horner score of all time, which is saying something given some of his other, fantastic scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Of course no, but his Shyamalan scores are nothing like Atlantis; wholly different style smile

How so?

-Erik-
  4. With the exception of The Last Airbender and the final action cue in Lady in the Water his Shyamalan works are far more restrained than whatever he does for Atlantis.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - 007 - On Her Majesty's Secret Service

One of action masterpieces finally on an original CD. I wish the CD was sequenced a bit differently, but you can't have everything, can you? An amazing work anyway.

The 2003 complete* release right? I don't have the CD to hand but I'm sure the liner notes tell you how to sequence in order?

*It's not quite complete, missing a waltz Barry wrote as source music for a scene in an ice rink.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    With the exception of The Last Airbender and the final action cue in Lady in the Water his Shyamalan works are far more restrained than whatever he does for Atlantis.

Agree, less fanfar-ish, less grand-orchestral, more emotional and restrained.
  5. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

The 2003 complete* release right? I don't have the CD to hand but I'm sure the liner notes tell you how to sequence in order?

*It's not quite complete, missing a waltz Barry wrote as source music for a scene in an ice rink.

Yeah, I was actually willing to return the CD had it NOT been the complete 2003 release smile . The liner notes, as opposed to The Living Daylights, don't give a film sequence program, sadly. Years ago when I wrote my review of OHMSS, I gave a set of five stars with four stars given to the album because of that sequencing (we have three criteria - originality, as heard in film, as heard on album and the general rating, my ratings were originality 5/5, music as heard in film 5/5, music as heard on album 4/5, general rating 5/5).

I bought a completely new copy (in wrapping and all) in a local internet shop for merely about 3.50 pounds.
  6. OHMSS, along with Goldfinger and The Living Daylights is the third James Bond score I own and overall the fourth John Barry score I own. The other one is the complete release (is it complete? The most recent expansion, I think back from 2003, featuring Jon Burlingame's liners) of Dances with the Wolves.

Tim, what do you think of the early Prague re-recordings of the Barry scores? There is a twofer featuring their Lion in Winter (also featuring Mary, Queen of Scots) and The Last Valley re-recordings Silva released as a set either earlier this year or late last year and I am seriously considering getting them both.

I intend to review (for my site, but maybe I'd actually prepare an English version for MT?) The Last Valley, but I can't decide whether I should do the re-recording or the original 12-track release by Barry.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    OHMSS, along with Goldfinger and The Living Daylights is the third James Bond score I own and overall the fourth John Barry score I own. The other one is the complete release (is it complete? The most recent expansion, I think back from 2003, featuring Jon Burlingame's liners) of Dances with the Wolves.

Tim, what do you think of the early Prague re-recordings of the Barry scores? There is a twofer featuring their Lion in Winter (also featuring Mary, Queen of Scots) and The Last Valley re-recordings Silva released as a set either earlier this year or late last year and I am seriously considering getting them both.

I intend to review (for my site, but maybe I'd actually prepare an English version for MT?) The Last Valley, but I can't decide whether I should do the re-recording or the original 12-track release by Barry.

YIKES! You're asking me and I'm a huge Barry fan and I'm bound to say BOTH versions of THE LAST VALLEY. There's something about Barry's original recording that's inimitable but when push comes to shove I'd say get the Silva rerecording which has some great tracks never included on Barry's original score release. THE LION IN WINTER is a fine recording but is nowhere near as good as Barry's original which ( incredibly ) contains moog synthesiser in the mix, it's buried and not obvious but it gives it a bigger bassier thump.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2012 edited
    edit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yeah, I was actually willing to return the CD had it NOT been the complete 2003 release smile . The liner notes, as opposed to The Living Daylights, don't give a film sequence program, sadly. Years ago when I wrote my review of OHMSS, I gave a set of five stars with four stars given to the album because of that sequencing (we have three criteria - originality, as heard in film, as heard on album and the general rating, my ratings were originality 5/5, music as heard in film 5/5, music as heard on album 4/5, general rating 5/5).

I bought a completely new copy (in wrapping and all) in a local internet shop for merely about 3.50 pounds.

I got this from the John Barry Discussion Group pages...........

In sequence:

By Neil S. Bulk:

Here is the way Lukas Kendall intially sequenced On Her Majesty's Secret Service, until the lawyers butted in.

2, 6, 8, 3, 12, 13, 1, 14, 7, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 5, 4, 9, 10, 21, 11

No editing required on that one.

James Luckard points out:

On the OHMSS track listing, the instrumental version of We Have All The Time In The World is between Journey to Blofeld's Hideaway and Bond Settles In. There is indeed a version of the tune at the place in the film, but it is a very brief statement of the march version also heard in Journey to Draco's Hideaway, and not this light, jazzy version. This version is much like Try, and sounds like source music. It appears nowhere in the film, so I stuck it on the end as a bonus track.