• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012
    I'm listening to the new re-release of Battle of the Bulge. This is a straight transfer of the Warner Bros. original soundtrack. This is my fifth soundtrack or parts of. It is released by Perseverance.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Mine probably too.

How many people would put Apollo 13 in their top 10?

Quite a few I would expect. ( I presume you mean top 10 Horner scores ) It rates very highly with me too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Second or third place. I have a not so legal version of the promo, but if a label sees fit to release a complete program, I am buying it on the spot.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    I wonder if James Honer listened to Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade op. 35 - Andantino quasi allegretto before he composed The Secret Wedding. Does anyone else hear the similarity?

Anyway for me Legends of the Fall is better than Braveheart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cristian wrote
    I wonder if James Honer listened to Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade op. 35 - Andantino quasi allegretto before he composed The Secret Wedding. Does anyone else hear the similarity?

Horner plagiarizing classical music? Naaaaaaaaaaah!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Erik Woods wrote
    Cristian wrote

Horner plagiarizing classical music? Naaaaaaaaaaah!

-Erik-

He has a very good taste! cheesy
  2. John Barry - 007 - The Living Daylights

One of three of my original Bond CDs.

This is one of the best Bond scores and perhaps the most listenable for the listeners of these times. It's surely way better than whatever David Arnold has done for the franchise, even if he's got some good stuff.

The electronics are great, the themes are great, the general sound is great. What else can I want? Very listenable action score.

Going to see Skyfall on Saturday with a friend who's a great fan of all things 007 punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd say Arnold's scores are better than The Living Daylights, but then I'm an Arnold fan and not a Barry fan. In terms of electronic elements, Arnold does it better (yes, obviously modern technology plays its hand, but Arnold is one of the more adept at incorporating synth with orchestra, perhaps on par with Powell).
  3. I'm not a huge fan of Arnold myself, to put it delicately, but still, I think the amount of melodies is saying a lot for the Barry score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012 edited
    Steven wrote
    I'd say Arnold's scores are better than The Living Daylights, but then I'm an Arnold fan and not a Barry fan. In terms of electronic elements, Arnold does it better (yes, obviously modern technology plays its hand, but Arnold is one of the more adept at incorporating synth with orchestra, perhaps on par with Powell).

I'd say THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS is about as far as Barry pushed Bond with synths. It took some time but I came to appreciate Arnold's take on Bond though I think his electronic work will date it rapidly and also Arnold's work is only really good when he channels Barry's vibe, without Barry his music would be nothing but note crunching noise in search of a theme.

My favourite track of his is Backseat Driver, it may be camp as fuck but I love it.

p.s. ALL of David Arnold's Bond scores combined aren't anywhere near the quality of The Living Daylights tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2012
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm not a huge fan of Arnold myself, to put it delicately, but still, I think the amount of melodies is saying a lot for the Barry score.

More than some composers have in their entire careers, and this is just one score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I'm listening to the new re-release of Battle of the Bulge. This is a straight transfer of the Warner Bros. original soundtrack. This is my fifth soundtrack or parts of. It is released by Perseverance.
    Tom smile

Fantastic music! A shame it's for such an appallingly bad film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I listened to Thomas Newman's SKYFALL again earlier, I quite like it but it's not a great Bond score, in fact it's not a great JASON BOURNE score either which is what it mostly sounds like. I think a lot of the possitive reactions it's had are due to Newman doing an action score, to me the action parts sound very generic, in fact it's all rather "bitty" with no real hooks to sink your teeth into.

I'll take Arnold coming back to Bond over Newman anyday.
  4. Nah, I don't think I'm bowled over by Newman doing an action score (he's done plenty of that kind of music before) so much. I think it all sounds exciting and still uniquely his. I can't wait to hear it in the movie, once I get a chance to see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    I listened to Thomas Newman's SKYFALL again earlier, I quite like it but it's not a great Bond score, in fact it's not a great JASON BOURNE score either which is what it mostly sounds like. I think a lot of the positive reactions it's had are due to Newman doing an action score, to me the action parts sound very generic, in fact it's all rather "bitty" with no real hooks to sink your teeth into.

Having heard Skyfall a couple of times now I must say I totally agree with your thoughts there Tim.
    Yes, there are some fine moments throughout this score but I'm not bowled over by it that's for sure!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LADYHAWKE (Andrew Powell)

The world's most underrated score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. ALL of David Arnold's Bond scores combined aren't anywhere near the quality of The Living Daylights tongue wink

biggrin

Can't argue with that.

Timmer wrote
    I listened to Thomas Newman's SKYFALL again earlier, I quite like it but it's not a great Bond score, in fact it's not a great JASON BOURNE score either which is what it mostly sounds like. I think a lot of the possitive reactions it's had are due to Newman doing an action score, to me the action parts sound very generic, in fact it's all rather "bitty" with no real hooks to sink your teeth into.

Again (and not to force the issue too many times), maybe it's my non-fandom of Bond that helps, but I really like Newman's score. I would be just as pleased if Newman or Arnold returned for another Bond... although I'd be surprised if Newman does return?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ARABIAN KNIGHT (Robert Folk)

Pleasant animation score in the style of Menken's 90's Disney material (esp. the songs).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote

Pleasant animation score in the style of Menken's 90's Disney material (esp. the songs).

Skyfall, Thor. We're talking Skyfall. Try to keep up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    crazy
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

Skyfall, Thor. We're talking Skyfall. Try to keep up.

What's wrong with him eh Steven, trying to change the subject all the time rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Trying desperately.....but unsuccessfully.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

biggrin

Can't argue with that.

Timmer wrote

Again (and not to force the issue too many times), maybe it's my non-fandom of Bond that helps, but I really like Newman's score. I would be just as pleased if Newman or Arnold returned for another Bond... although I'd be surprised if Newman does return?

I believe you and I also believe the opposite, I think I'm too ingrained with Bondness to be more objective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Why are we all talking about a boring generic action score that doesn't even have a theme?

That's what most people complain about Howard's recent work for, but a score like The Last Airbender is far more engaging and has more unique, original elements than this generic Newman thing. Not that Skyfall doesn't have some cool action music. But the bias is immense and ridiculous just because it's by Thomas Newman. IMO of course!!!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Lots of Williams in that score! Great score, BTW.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Thor wrote
    NP: LADYHAWKE (Andrew Powell)

The world's most underrated score!

Indeed.

21 years ago, I wanted to start a new RPG with a couple I knew. They brought another girl with them who I barely knew and met only once before. I improvised a character for her, and off we went. For some strange reason, I thought Ladyhawke was the perfect score for that game, so when I started, I played the main title. After a couple of seconds only, even before the iconic electronics and rhythm stuff set in, the girl abruptly turned her head to the speakers, then looked at me, smiling from ear to ear, grabbed my hand, and whispered, "Ladyhawke?".

We´re married for 17.5 years now.

Yes. It´s a terribly underrated score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Scribe wrote
    Why are we all talking about a boring generic action score that doesn't even have a theme?

I must have missed that discussion. We're actually talking about Skyfall.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LITTLE BUDDHA - Ryuichi Sakamoto

Brilliant! One of my most played scores love
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Main Title - Angels in America - Thomas Newman

One of the best main titles ever composed. Brilliant!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Terra Nova Brian Tyler

I'm surprised at how good this is! Certainly the most interesting thing I've heard from Tyler for quite a while.