• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012 edited
    The Hobbit OST stream died 20 minutes in forcing me to go back to the beginning. Unfortunately, the stream won't allow me to skip back to where I left off!. How retarded! I'll wait for my promo to arrive.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    The Hobbit OST stream died 20 minutes in forcing me to go back to the beginning. Unfortunately, the stream won't allow me to skip back to where I left off!. How retarded! I'll wait for my promo to arrive.

-Erik-

This was partly why I only listened to the first 3-4 tracks.

After me mistakenly navigating away from the page - and having to start again after 15 minutes - I then used the "Pause" button to do something else for a moment and when I came back and unpaused....it started from scratch again. And, as Erik said, there's no way to skip forward to where it was.

But the first few tracks did allow me to gather a few thoughts on the score. I am glad that this score does seem to succeed in bringing back the musical world first heard in Lord of the Rings. I think that The Fellowship of the Ring is my favourite musical part of the trilogy and it is nice to hear reference to The Shire here mixed in with the new music. There does seem to be at least one new theme that could be a favourite.

I do, however, share Erik's feeling that the score meanders from the start without being particularly stand-out. I think that it may have been a mistake to release such a big chunk of music here. With The Fellowship of the Ring, the 1 CD release slimmed down the music to a "best of" type of album that draws people in with the excitement that a highlights album does well. Then, once people have accepted the new world and are keen to hear more, this enthusiasm (in a way) carries them through a longer, more (meandering?) complete release. I don't think I have listened to any of the complete Lord of the Rings sets all the way through!

With the 2 CD release of The Hobbit music, I think that Warner Bros are assuming that the listener has already "bought into" the musical Middle Earth world again. But, I don't think that this will be the case. It would have been better to have a single highlights CD to grab the audience again, to prime them for the wave of release after release of this new music.

There is no doubt that I will be getting this when it comes out. For me, I've taken the fact that Shore's musical Middle Earth world seems to be back in The Hobbit - and that has to be a good thing.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Mind Heist - Zack Hemsey

This little EP album featured various versions of the music used in the Inception trailer. It's a great little piece of music with each track offering a variation on a theme.

I may just pop on Inception after these.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012
    Okay, I can't manage to listen to it. It's blocking after a few minutes. I'll just have to wait I guess. As for the feedback, that doesn't sound particularly fantastic though. I was a bit afraid of the 2CD's, because it would be too long for a movie that is already expanded too much. Glad to hear most themes return. Even my little brother (well, 21), who's a big fan, said it was a bit much.
    Kazoo
  3. Bregt wrote
    Okay, I can't manage to listen to it. It's blocking after a few minutes.

I imagine that there are a lot of people trying to listen to this at the moment. Maybe that's having an effect on the streaming quality?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, it's stopped me from weakening my resolve. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2012 edited
    shocked you guys are now complaining that someone was finally kind enough not to double-dip us? confused
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Scribe wrote
    shocked you guys are now complaining that someone was finally kind enough not to double-dip us? confused

I think that we will be double-dipping anyway. So this is more a discussion that will turn out to be a double-/triple-dipping problem.

I do see your point - so I am grateful for the expanded release. I may cut it down to one CD, hide the 2CD version, listen to shorter album and when I come across the forgotten 2CD version I will be SO excited!!

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Double-dip' Argh! I hate this expression! IT MAKES ME ANGRY!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Skyfallworld Two Steps From Hell

Well this is entertaining!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I do see your point - so I am grateful for the expanded release. I may cut it down to one CD, hide the 2CD version, listen to shorter album and when I come across the forgotten 2CD version I will be SO excited!!

I suppose the situation does present problems for those among us whose religion prevents them from making any changes to the released product. Perhaps the ideal solution would be for them to have released a 50-minutes-ish single disc released and then put the complete score in the "deluxe" edition, rather than having two separate two-disc releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    A Beautiful Mind - James Horner

Horner doing drama is almost a sure bet for an emotional journey. One of my favorite scores by him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Total Recall - HGW

I have to say that I do like this score much more now after watching the movie. There's only a few "themes" that doesn't get used as much as they should have been. The action cues vacillate between meaningless droning/pounding percussion, and actually exciting passages. A shorter running time would have benefited this score immensely.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

at the end of the day Alan needs to think outside the box.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS - Howard Shore

Excellent score, I just had to listen to this.
  5. Jerry Goldsmith - Rambo: First Blood Part II

Brilliant to turn my brain off and still feel I have one. What a long day.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JANE EYRE (John Williams)

Always a pleasure.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Thomas Newman - American Beauty

What a masterpiece. Long time no hear.
  7. Anthony wrote
    Go see the movie!

Or if you really want to know:

[spoiler]The baddie has Bond at gunpoint with another goon behind Bond. They are standing on a frozen lake. Bond grabs the goons machine gun and shoots the ice causing them both to fall through. A an underwater struggle ensues and Bond manages to break the guys neck. The rest of the cue I'm not going to cover.[/spoiler]

Yeah, it sounds like someone is drowning.
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    Thomas Newman - American Beauty

What a masterpiece. Long time no hear.

Yeah, I'll have to revisit that one. One of the very first scores I've ever listened to.
  9. Cristian wrote
    A Beautiful Mind - James Horner

Horner doing drama is almost a sure bet for an emotional journey. One of my favorite scores by him.

My all-time favorite Horner. It's what got me into film scores in the first place.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012
    Thor wrote
    NP: JANE EYRE (John Williams)

Always a pleasure.

In my top 20 of all time film scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2012 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Hobbit - Howard Shore

The journey continues!

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35757

Thanks for posting this link, Alan!

I just finished listening to the whole thing. It's not nearly so memorable to me as any of the LotR scores - not nearly so many instantly recognizable themes, nor as epic in scope. Much of the music was not very noticeable as I worked on my stats homework. Still, the sound of Middle-earth is back, which is like comfort food for my ears.

There were some standout moments. Many of you noticed the Shire music from the first couple of tracks, which was fun to hear again. You hear more of Shore's hobbit music in "The Adventure Begins", this time in a really fun and jaunty arrangement. "Roast Mutton" is an exciting track with some GREAT driving horn statements of that lonely mountain theme we heard in the trailer. There's a grand and noble statement of that theme on horns in "Over Hill." "A Thunder Battle" was the first time I thought the score reached the epic heights of the LotR trilogy. It's big. "Riddles in the Dark" prominently reminds of the one-ring, for obvious reasons. "Out of the Frying Pan" (great track title) was big and epic and had a good new theme in it that I hadn't noticed previously (though I may have missed it). "Song of the Lonely Mountain" is a little too much for me. I like that dwarf song, but better when sung by just one in the preview. This version really took me out of Middle Earth, as it seemed far too contemporary to fit in with the rest of the score. The standout track, for me, was the very last one, "Dreaming of Bag End." It features a LOVELY new melody that fits right in with the previous sound we've come to associate with Hobbits. I thought it was excellent.

There's a good album in here, though it's in need of serious trimming. I'm excited by the lonely mountain theme, the new theme in "Out of the Frying Pan" and the new theme in "Dreaming of Bag End." It's good to be back in Middle Earth, as well.

Still, huge chunks of this were pretty boring on first listen. Perhaps after seeing the film and after hearing the music several more times I'll grow to like it much more, but I can't see myself ever enjoying this as much as any of the LotR scores.
  10. Hans Zimmer - Inception

I asked Hans if Inception isn't his "own Bond score". He said yes, because of "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". There are quite a few Barry licks in the score. This has become one of my favourite works by the composer.
  11. John Barry - 007 - Goldfinger

Haven't listened to it for *ages*. I remember it being amazing, but now getting back to it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

What are you all talking about here? Missed it, the whole point + i don't know the meaning of the phrase confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    John Barry - 007 - Goldfinger

Haven't listened to it for *ages*. I remember it being amazing, but now getting back to it. smile

Awesome brass dominated score featuring the king ( or should that be Queen ) of all Bond songs, every Bond song since has been measured against this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Water for Elephants - James Newton Howard

Gorgeous score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Skyfall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: Rise of the Guardians - Alexandre Desplat

Too long and too much mickey-mousing, the good parts are rather obscured. Certainly not on the same level as his HP scores. But it could just be my mood.